YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buddhist Christian
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-21 10:02 AM (#22520 - in reply to #22515)
Subject: RE: Buddhist Christian

Expert Yogi

Funny Jean!!

You know what, I sometimes go to a Vedic Temple...guess what??? They worship Fire..only the elements, no dieties. It is very interesting and actually quite refreshing, to say the least.

It seems to have less dogma and stigma attached to it making it very pure...like its kinda hard to contaminate the elements...fire, water, air, earth etc. People are the ones who do the contaminating.

Hang in there Neelbhai, I'm with you on this and appreciate your kindness..you are so nice

Edited by Cyndi 2005-04-21 10:05 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
belovedofthegod
Posted 2005-04-21 10:42 AM (#22533 - in reply to #21794)

Dear Kulkarnn,

I agree that pursuing the date issue is unnecessary so we'll leave that aside.

"Now, let me comment on the other part, such as whether the Vedic Realizations were truths realized in Meditations and such, which you call hyperbole. I can only tell you that from my own Yoga Practice over 30+ years, these are not hyperbole. And, these truths can actually be realized."

I do not believe that you have realized that Vedavyasa codified 5% of the Vedas. When I say this is hyperbole, I was refering to this fact alone.

" But, you are correct in saying that in the India, when they say scholars they mean more through faith, than how the Western World looks at history. On the other hand, in the Western world, the history is hidden, modified, and manipulated to the advantage of few. And, in the Indian faith, they are interested in the Experience, not degrees. "

Well I am not saying that one stype of scholar is better than the other type but there is a simple reason why it is best to stick to the style of the western scholars (keep in mind it is also the style of many, many Indian scholars). Doing it without the involvement of faith, etc... makes it falsifiable. If non-falsifiable point of views can be taken, then anyone can say anything.

" I can assure you, if you believe in me, that the Vedic Statements can be experienced. "

There are thousands and thousands of Vedic statements, some of them are not even related to spirituality, its a reflection of the entire culture of the people who composed it and the world they lived in. I agree with most of the claims pertaining to spirituality, I am a Hindu afterall. However, I am of the opinion that it does much more respect to scripture if we understand with without preconceptions and reject something if we do not agree with it, rather than reinterpret it or blindly believe in it.

"I want to inform you that Buddha and Buddhism are two different things. Exactly same as Jesus Christ and Christianity are two different things. I hope you did not mean Buddha when you used the word Buddhism. That will be a very stupid statement from one who loves god like ILOVEGOD."

Well, I assume that refers to me? (I don't really get the name reference here). I think the Buddhists (the Theravadins) have understood the Buddha's teaching very well. It is unrealistic to claim that some Pandit 2,500 years later is providing the correct interpretation of Buddhism and the Buddha's own disciples are not. It is actually an insult to the Buddha if his disciples were that silly. I agree with basically everything that is attributed to the Buddha in the Suttas (not Abhidhamma or the Mahayana texts) but the path isn't for me.

I do not remember saying Buddhism is stupid anywhere, please quote me instead of inventing words for me (I can type quite well on my own, despite how it seems!),

Regards.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-21 10:55 AM (#22536 - in reply to #21794)

Beloved,

In those statements, Neel was referring to a little spamster who popped on here calling himself ILOVEGOD. He made some very silly statements and it appears our wise moderators have deleted them.

No one would presume to put words in your mouth (or keys on your fingers?), you are clearly quite scholarly on this subject. It has been very fascinating reading the exchange between you and our equally scholarly Neel. Not to mention, educational!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-21 1:41 PM (#22557 - in reply to #21794)

Dear BelovedOfTheGod:
I did NOT mean BelovedOfTheGod when I commented on 'stupidity', it was ILOVEGOD, who has disappeared somehow. Now, that I read your email, I understand your point of view and agree. However, I need to make one correction for myself. I did NOT realize VedaVyasa's 5% codification, what I realized is the Truth of Vedic statements. Also, by this I did not mean all vedic statements, I only meant the ones I realized. I hope you realize me now.

Peace
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-21 9:42 PM (#22611 - in reply to #22557)

Expert Yogi

Let me add that I saw the nasty "ILOVEGOD" post condemning Buddhism
before it was deleted. Lately, it has become possible for non-registered users
to post on this forum, and the privilege is being abused....
Posted 2005-04-21 10:19 PM (#22626 - in reply to #22611)

Well, BG, it just gives BruceBhai Moderator something better to do...it will help him with his Savasana...guess who
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-21 10:26 PM (#22628 - in reply to #22626)

Expert Yogi

No guessing, "guest". You could be Jesus sending me a message.

"Jesus is on the Main Line -- Tell him what you want!!!"
belovedofthegod
Posted 2005-04-23 8:22 AM (#22747 - in reply to #21794)

Dear Kulkarnn,

I apologize for the misplaced accusation. Just that I didn't see the other user (as his post had been removed) and thought it was addressed to me.

I am not against your position (it is the orthodox one, and therefore it cannot mislead anyone), just that I do not agree with the traditional dating schemes, and the infallibility of scripture.

Jeansyoga, Bay Guy, thank you for the clarification.

Regards.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-02 11:06 PM (#23330 - in reply to #22747)

Expert Yogi

It is a bit confusing when these noxious posts get deleted. Perhaps it
would be more clear if they were just made blank..? Not quite sure how
best to deal with this sort of loss of information...?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)