YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is this weird?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

sideshow
Posted 2005-04-13 3:55 PM (#21848)
Subject: Is this weird?

All right! I woke up today and did a Sun Salutation along with some standing type stretches like triangle and warrior II, also that one where you put your hands behind your back in "prayer position" and then bend forward towards your knee with one leg in extended in front of the other, i then ended in a corpse pose for about 5 minutes.

Anyways, I have noticed this other times during my practice but i think it was my little break that heightened my awarness to it. Ive noticed that my body tends to feel the asanas more AFTER im done with my practice rather than when im doing them. Its like I go into the poses and do feel some stretching in certain areas, then after i get up my extremities feel very "jello like" Im tending to guess that this is a farily normal reaction for my body to go through but it seems like my mind gets more in tune with my body AFTER im done with my yoga rather than during. So I was just wondering if this is normal? I do try to really focus on my breathing while in poses and try to hold each pose for at least 3 to 5 breaths.

Am i doing something wrong or is this a normal type of reaction just due to how my body is?

Im sure some of you may say go to a class but when i think back i felt like this after the class i took as well. Maybe its just my subconscious catching up with the new information i have given my body.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
yogi-boy
Posted 2005-04-13 4:57 PM (#21855 - in reply to #21848)
Subject: RE: Is this weird?

Hi Sideshow!

There's nothing wierd about what you're experiencing through your body after asana. In fact what would be wierd (I say that reluctantly!) is NOT experiencing something!

I only noticed this after months of doing yoga, when I experienced my body and the sum of its parts after asana. It was an epiphany of how my body is created and what it is capable of.

I often relate this in my classes, is that one's body is so much more than its limbs. I've become so much more aware of the third dimension within my physical, mental and spiritual selves.

Enjoy, experience, continue!

afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-13 6:33 PM (#21871 - in reply to #21848)

Now that you say it, sideshow, yes the body definately feels different after practice. I always thought it might be caused by low blood pressure that I walk like a drunk after class while it is more probably the muscles and joints still confused by the effects of practice. One of the training rooms where we have classes is in the first storey of the gym and sometimes on the way down the stairways I really have to hold tight to the railing in order not to stumble over my own feet and break my neck.
Maybe this is a completely different experience from yours. Heck, what do I know ...

PS: The pose you mentioned is Parsvottanasana. Don't worry, my sanskrit sucks too, I looked it up.

Edited by afroyogi 2005-04-13 6:37 PM
sideshow
Posted 2005-04-13 7:19 PM (#21875 - in reply to #21848)

Yeah, I had to go downstairs after my practice to get some clothes and thats when i felt the "jello wobble" walking down the stairs, its kind of funny cuz im pretty sure that my home practice is nowhere near as intense as class. So it is kind of amazing how even with the smallest amount of intensity your body really does recognize the subtle benefits even a "mild" yoga practice will give it.

wow thats probably the most redundant sentence ive ever written!
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-04-14 12:02 AM (#21897 - in reply to #21848)

After practice, I am lucky I dont live far from yoga class because I could be a real hazard on the road. My muscels are jello and hard to control. But, it's SUCH a great feeling, thats my favourite part.
lavteal
Posted 2005-05-03 4:28 AM (#23344 - in reply to #21848)

I keep ending up dropping my water bottle on the sidewalk after a class. Too loose to really grip. I've just switched to glass so I had better change my post class watering style.

LT
Mitch
Posted 2005-05-03 11:45 AM (#23360 - in reply to #21848)

Not to get into a savasana discussion, but isn't that one reason for finishing practice with a nice, long savasana - to refresh the body after asana practice?

I usually feel it in my butt the next day, especially after too much Utthita Hasta Padangustasana.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-03 1:07 PM (#23370 - in reply to #21848)

I don't think it's weird at all - and I'd say it isn't a strictly yoga phenomenon either.  I've experienced similar feelings after an aerobic or weight-training workout.

Actually, on my favorite yoga dvd, the instructor actually says at one point "you may not feel the effect this is having on your joints now, but you will later with increased flexibility." (My paraphrase - I'm sure that's not word for word, but it's close!)

I don't think you have anything to worry about

Hugs!

Echo

itchytummy
Posted 2005-05-03 1:19 PM (#23373 - in reply to #23370)

It's completely normal to feel all wiggly woggly after a yoga practice. I've been doing yoga practically my whole life, and I still often feel like that after I practice--or the next day if it was especially intense.

Edited by itchytummy 2005-05-03 1:20 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)