YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SI Injury
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-14 11:11 AM (#21930)
Subject: SI Injury

Two years ago I strained my right SI joint in my sleep (no, I don't know how either!). I've recently re-aggrevated it. Again, I don't know how. I've just seen an osteopath for the fist time who has confirmed that I'm twisted and, possibly, have a tilted pelvis.

I'm not allowed to do any twisting and am supposed to make sure that I don't lift anything the wrong way. I'm also supposed to avoid sitting for periods of time (difficult when you work in IT).

Has anyone any suggestions as to a suitable sequence I can practise whilst healing? I need to do something to stop my job locking the rest of my back up

I've been practising the Bihar School of Yoga tradition for a year now so am probably beginner in some poses and intermediate in others.

Thanks in advance.

Yours ouchfully,

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-04-14 11:12 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-14 11:28 AM (#21931 - in reply to #21930)
Subject: RE: SI Injury

The book "Back Care Basics" has some WONDERFUL suggestions for dealing with all different kinds of back pain . . . it will lead you from restorative poses on up to modified and traditional asanas that can help. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Meanwhile, be sure to keep working on your hip openers and deep hamstring stretches. These muscles often seize up to protect your back injury and can become very stiff and sore. Keeping these areas mobile is also important because you sit at a desk job all day. Also, experiment with putting different props (i.e. wedge) on your chair to work with your back position until you can sit more comfortably. They have a good selection on this website.
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-14 11:48 AM (#21933 - in reply to #21930)

Orbilia - 2005-04-14 11:11 AM

I've just seen an osteopath for the fist time who has confirmed that I'm twisted..."

I didn't know there were doctors for this! I've always relied on the kindess of friends and family!

Good luck! Back pain is NO fun! I also spend too much time sitting at a computer all hunched over and tensed. Thanks for the tip about the hamstrings and hips, Jean! I will definitely make it a point to take care of those areas as wel!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-14 10:50 PM (#21996 - in reply to #21930)

Orbilla:
Come to our classes in Virinia, www.authenticyoga.org

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-15 4:49 AM (#22012 - in reply to #21933)

I'm so glad for you Lora My friends and family gave up some time ago

The worst thing is that the only position I'm comfortable in at the moment is stood up.....any spare space shuttle tickets so I can sleep in this position

Fee
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-15 4:51 AM (#22013 - in reply to #21996)

Oh I so wish! I've been through hell and back the last couple of years. Things are starting to break now but the thought of a yoga holiday would be wonderful. I'll pass on the 6:30 am Sun Salutations however, thank you very much I'm up for the Moon ones though

Fee

kulkarnn - 2005-04-15 3:50 AM

Orbilla:
Come to our classes in Virinia, www.authenticyoga.org

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-15 4:54 AM (#22014 - in reply to #22013)

Thanks for the tip Jeansyoga. I'm going to pop over to Amazon now and see if I can order a copy.

Fortunately my back doesn't hurt. Pity about the stabbing pain in my right hip every time I need to turn over

Fee
pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-18 1:54 PM (#22285 - in reply to #21930)

I have the same problem Orbilia!!

I have suffered with SI joint dysfunction for about a year now.

I had physical therapy and just tried to do nothing but yoga....NOTHING HAS fixed it! I was also told i have a tilted pelvis, or "twisted" was actually the terminology used. It is discouraging feeling pain. I sit all day as an administrative asst. and so i don't have much of a choice with that, but standing full time is just as bad for SI injuries i've been told.

I am thinking of trying some Aston patterning. Have you thought of that?
tourist
Posted 2005-04-18 6:44 PM (#22321 - in reply to #22285)

Expert Yogi

Welcome Geneva - I have had some Aston patterning as well as Hellerwork - both the same "family" as Rolfing, which my husband has had. They are all wonderful ways of working on these deep tissue injuries. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend it.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-19 5:19 AM (#22354 - in reply to #22321)

I seem to be healing faster than I would normally have expected so I think the Osteopath has helped a lot. I have a second session wednesday lunchtime.

My mother is going to help me through the Back Care Basics book which does, indeed, seem to talk a lot of sense. I've tried some of the supported resting positions already however and found them great!

Since taking up yoga, I can feel that my core postural muscles have strenghened a lot, especially around my midriff. I suspect that the Back Care Basics book is right about a muscular imbalance right to left as I know that I was a lot tighter on the right side than the left when I started my yoga practise and I still have less rotational flexibility along the right leg as compared with the left.

The Osteopath told me that my left sacro-illiac region was tighter than the right and worked to release that in order to level me up. I also think he may be right about a long-term the pelvic twist as I noticed about 18 months ago that I was needing to adjust the right leg length more than the left whenever I bought new trousers but just put it down to 'age' and/or dodgy tailoring!

Fee
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-19 5:31 AM (#22357 - in reply to #22285)

I'm sorry to hear that. I've only heard of rolfing, hellerwork and now Aston patterning since chatting here. I'll certainly look into them more if my current plan doesn't produce results.

Fee

pinupyogi - 2005-04-18 6:54 PM

I have the same problem Orbilia!!

I have suffered with SI joint dysfunction for about a year now.

I had physical therapy and just tried to do nothing but yoga....NOTHING HAS fixed it! I was also told i have a tilted pelvis, or "twisted" was actually the terminology used. It is discouraging feeling pain. I sit all day as an administrative asst. and so i don't have much of a choice with that, but standing full time is just as bad for SI injuries i've been told.

I am thinking of trying some Aston patterning. Have you thought of that?
tourist
Posted 2005-04-19 6:45 PM (#22401 - in reply to #22354)

Expert Yogi

Fee - sounds like you have an osteopath you like and trust so you may be able to just work with him/her and get through this. The back care basics book is very good and I have used some of the poses in it regularly.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-20 5:01 AM (#22410 - in reply to #22401)

Thanks Tourist. I'm lucky in that the Osteopath I'm seeing has been seeing many of my colleagues for years so I knew quite a bit about him and his colleague before I went last week. I'm seeing him again today and am hoping I can go to yoga class tonight. I'll not be over-doing it though before anyone admonishes me to listen to my body

Fee
pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-20 11:59 AM (#22444 - in reply to #21930)

Thanks tourist....

Yea, i am going to go to my first aston patterning consultation on monday may 2nd. We'll see how it goes.....

It is highly expensive, so i have debated for months but i really can't stand my body not healing or not knowing how to heal right now.

I need to assist it the best i can, so i am going to try to find money each time to pay for it.

I just really pray it helps, and heals me.

cheers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)