YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Moving on" update!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-14 1:40 PM (#21943)
Subject: "Moving on" update!

For those of you who advised me the other day on whether to try some more advanced asanas, I wanted to let you know that I tried it today - woo-hoo, go me!  (LOL)

It was actually a bit of a comedy of errors, but isn't everything the first time you try it?!  My beginner level sun salutations were done with a chair, and the intermediate that I did today were of the more "normal" variety - ie, no props.  It didn't look so complicated when I was just watching it!  LOL

It wasn't so much difficult as awkward.  My...uh, breasts kinda got in the way of my knees, (either a knee or a breast had to go in my armpit from time to time... the man on the dvd didn't seem to have this problem) and I fell on my face during (the very brief) chataranga instead of flowing smoothly into upward dog.  On the bright side, I'm no longer so afraid of falling on my face now; maybe bakasanagrrr! will be easier!  ROFL! 

I'm sure all of this will get better with practise, like everything else.  It was pretty funny though and I almost wish I had a tape of myself doing this for laughs!

Oh, speaking of bakasana - I tried again yesterday - got one foot off the ground (yay!) which is better than no feet I suppose... but re-injured my shoulder a bit (I tore a ligament a few weeks ago - not exercising, but DUSTING, how lame am I?!)

Anyway, that's the report!  Hugs all 'round

Namaste!

Echo

Top of the page Bottom of the page
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-14 3:22 PM (#21947 - in reply to #21943)
Subject: RE: "Moving on" update!

Injured yourself dusting? HOW? I mean, I don't doubt that it's possible, as my injuries generally seem to come from walking down a street with no cracks, rocks, or other obstructions.

After all, I am the girl that really DID slip on a banana peel in a parking lot - 20 minutes after a conversation about those funny things you see in movies but never really happen!

Glad to hear the intermediate poses went relatively well! It won't be long until they feel as comfortable to you as the beginner poses did. And congratulations on the one foot off the ground bakasana! That's halfway there! I remember the first time I got both feet off the ground I was so excited that I fell over!

As for the bodily, uh, adjustments...Well, no getting around that. The more you practice the more you learn to just push them out of the way on your way into the pose. I've found that the easiest thing to do is just wear a good sports bra - after recently attempting to practice shoulderstand and plough in a tank with a shelf-bra and nearly suffocating I went back to my old ways.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-14 3:34 PM (#21949 - in reply to #21943)

YES!! We (ahem) well-endowed ladies need to get together and invent some kind of non-suffocating inversion bra! Something to hold the sisters DOWN and not just relatively still. Even Bridge pose is a challenge, my chin wants to be in the same place as the top edge of my sports bra!

Sweeping from Down Dog into Lunge is always a challenge too, because I have very long legs and large bosom in the way. I also have really small shoulders, so I usually wind up slightly opening my arm to the side so I can let my leg swing through that way. Someday I will have the arm strength to "float" both legs forward at once, but I'll still be in danger of giving myself a double mastectomy with my knees!
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-14 4:48 PM (#21954 - in reply to #21943)

My boobs don't get in my way, but my BIG OL'A$$ does! My nemesis pose right now is bhujapidasana, and I am pretty sure its my BIG OL'A$$ that's working against me. I just got bakasana, so I know the impossible is possible!

Echo, bakasana suddenly clicked when my abdominals started kicking in and helping out. Try putting a pillow in front of you and don't be afraid to fall on it. That will help you find your "sweet" spot. Its coming!!

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-14 5:02 PM (#21960 - in reply to #21943)

This thread is useless without pics.

Congrats, Echo! Well done.

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-14 5:12 PM (#21963 - in reply to #21947)

LoraB - 2005-04-14 3:22 PM Injured yourself dusting? HOW?

I have a very well-developed gift for injuring myself in bizarre ways.  Most of it is just sheer stupidity - like the time I put the garage door halfway up to run out & get the newspaper, then decided to read the paper (I can't resist the printed word...) on the way back & forgot the door was only halfway up... Concussion & whiplash from that one -see, aren't I gifted?! 

With the dusting I just stretched my arm out in a certain way and... pop!!  Some of the worst pain I've ever experienced - ouch!  I don't recommend it!

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-14 5:16 PM (#21964 - in reply to #21949)

jeansyoga - 2005-04-14 3:34 PM YES!! We (ahem) well-endowed ladies need to get together and invent some kind of non-suffocating inversion bra!

YES!!!!!  BRILLIANT!!!!!  Okay, are there any engineers among us?!?  "The Wonder Yoga Bra"!!  (How would you say that in Sanskrit?! LOL)

Seriously good idea!

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-14 5:32 PM (#21967 - in reply to #21960)

YogaGuy - 2005-04-14 5:02 PM This thread is useless without pics. Congrats, Echo! Well done.

Thanks for the kudos   I'll have to get back to you on the pics

CGG
Posted 2005-04-14 6:39 PM (#21972 - in reply to #21949)

Even Bridge pose is a challenge, my chin wants to be in the same place as the top edge of my sports bra![?/QUOTE]

Bridge is awful for me. My chest just falls right onto my neck and face. Shoulderstand can be an issue too, though it's not nearly as bad as bridge.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-14 7:46 PM (#21978 - in reply to #21943)

Tigrsunam, in Deee-troit the posterior is known as the "badonkadonk." I was dismayed in my beach photos to see how large the badonkadonk had gotten - I'm not so aware of it, as it is always behind me!

I too wonder if I will ever master bakasanagrrr. It's a tough one.

Echo, if chataranga is too challenging sometimes, here is a variation: from Plank, keep your elbows hugged to the side of your body and slowly lower your knees, chest, and chin to the floor. Then flatten to the ground, and transition up to Cobra or Up Dog, whichever suits you at the time. It's a good way to increase arm strength and work up to full chataranga.

Where is Neel to give our anti-inversion-gravity bra a Sanskrit name? His underwear-less mantra still makes me laugh!!
tourist
Posted 2005-04-14 8:05 PM (#21983 - in reply to #21978)

Expert Yogi

Good for you Echo! Now for a real challenge - I just watched a video of BKS Iyengar teaching a class where they transitioned from bakasana to chataranga WITHOUT PUTTING THEIR FEET ON THE FLOOR! Well, he didn't, anyway. Some of the men seemed to be doing ok but a couple of women that were visible were having a heck of a time!
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-14 8:28 PM (#21987 - in reply to #21983)

Here's something to prove that we are all different...I've been able to jump back from bakasana to chaturanga for a couple months now. But only now am I able to HOLD bakasana for more than a second. I am an Ashtangi, and we are heavy on the jumping backs, so that probably helped. But it was only this weekend that i held chaturanga for 5 seconds.

Getting chaturanga is pretty exciting. At first it feels so awkward and awful. Then one day it all came together and it feels GREAT. Very graceful and strong.

Echo: I truly think part of the fun of yoga is the falling out of the pose. Pushing to that point, getting over the fear and then taking it to the next level. I love it.
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-15 12:15 AM (#22002 - in reply to #21987)

I jumped back from Bakasana to Plank 3 days ago for the first time. It felt effortless, like I had always been doing it. I was so happy (and shocked), I sat back, laughed, put my hands to prayer and said a few "Thank You"s ~ it happened at a time when I needed a pick-me-up.

Haven't been able to do it since though.

Echo, I agree with the advice to use your abs during Bakasana. My teacher said to visualize pulling your abs up into your spine, really pull up to the ceiling. That helped me. Plus, you can play with where you place your knees. Sometimes I settle them on the lower part of my upper arm, closer to the elbow and I squeeze the knees towards each other. Sometimes I nestle my knees into my armpits, which changes my balance a tiny bit, but it feels stronger and steadier.

I think Melissa (Gruvemom) can move from Bakasana into headstand, which is way cool. I try it and crash every time.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-15 4:44 AM (#22011 - in reply to #21949)

Bizarely enough I find the inversion suffocation thing happens less when I practise nude at home. The 'sisters' fall to the side rather than up my nose

Fee
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-15 9:24 AM (#22019 - in reply to #22011)

You guys are all so chesty ~ I'm jealous. I, on the other hand, have taken a good 35 years to develop the bust of a 16 year old. I thinkin' by the time I'm 50, I should have a decent rack.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-15 9:34 AM (#22021 - in reply to #21943)

Don't be jealous! They are more a nuisance than you can imagine. Not just in yoga . . . you can't wear blouses that button up the front because they always have a weird gap, and anything baggy makes you look like you weigh 350 lbs because the way it hangs off the "shelf."

Plus there is the sag factor . . . I'm only 33 and it's APPALLING already!! By the time I'm 50 I'll have to lift them up in order to tie my shoes!
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-15 9:45 AM (#22022 - in reply to #22021)

I suppose the grass is always greener, eh?

I'll bet you look great in a dress though!

I look like a little girl.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-15 10:58 AM (#22028 - in reply to #22021)

Not to mention the fact that one performs plank pose when trying to sleep on one's front

And just don't mention the sheer rage to be experienced when shopping for bras only to be offered a single style in the form of a monstrosity with enough holding power to moor a destroyer in a high gale!!!!!

Fee

jeansyoga - 2005-04-15 2:34 PM

Don't be jealous! They are more a nuisance than you can imagine. Not just in yoga . . . you can't wear blouses that button up the front because they always have a weird gap, and anything baggy makes you look like you weigh 350 lbs because the way it hangs off the "shelf."

Plus there is the sag factor . . . I'm only 33 and it's APPALLING already!! By the time I'm 50 I'll have to lift them up in order to tie my shoes!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-15 11:13 AM (#22036 - in reply to #21943)

YES!! If big chests are supposed to be sexy, then how come the only thing they can give us to wear looks like a bullet-proof vest?
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-15 11:17 AM (#22038 - in reply to #22036)

Ah, I see you've experienced Triumph's 'Doreen' bra too

Fee
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-15 11:36 AM (#22040 - in reply to #22011)

Orbilia - 2005-04-15 4:44 AM Bizarely enough I find the inversion suffocation thing happens less when I practise nude at home. The 'sisters' fall to the side rather than up my nose

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ROFL

Kabu
Posted 2005-04-15 1:24 PM (#22053 - in reply to #22028)

Orbilia - 2005-04-15 10:58 AM
And just don't mention the sheer rage to be experienced when shopping for bras only to be offered a single style in the form of a monstrosity with enough holding power to moor a destroyer in a high gale!!!!!

There are a lot of good visuals in this thread, but this one is the best!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-15 1:36 PM (#22057 - in reply to #21983)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-04-14 8:05 PM

Good for you Echo! Now for a real challenge - I just watched a video of BKS Iyengar teaching a class where they transitioned from bakasana to chataranga WITHOUT PUTTING THEIR FEET ON THE FLOOR! Well, he didn't, anyway. Some of the men seemed to be doing ok but a couple of women that were visible were having a heck of a time!

BTW, that's a standard transition in Ashtanga yoga...a variation of jump-back.
You find it in a couple of places in primary series.... Tittibhasana-Bakasana-Chaturanga.
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-15 9:05 PM (#22089 - in reply to #22057)

Bay Guy - 2005-04-16 3:36 AM

BTW, that's a standard transition in Ashtanga yoga...a variation of jump-back.
You find it in a couple of places in primary series.... Tittibhasana-Bakasana-Chaturanga.

maybe it is just me.....i came into this conversation late - all the talk of big b00bies and then bay guy quips in with TITTIbhasana - i thought you were pulling my leg, sir!!!

but yes, that is an advanced sequence (i had to look it up!)
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-15 9:18 PM (#22091 - in reply to #22089)

Expert Yogi

....oh dear.... I guess that I should add that Tittibhasana is a pose
for adult yogis....size doesn't matter either....

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)