YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

opinion
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

hopeful
Posted 2005-04-15 1:25 PM (#22054)
Subject: opinion

I have extreme anxiety & panic attacks! I've taken every pill out there for it & they've all made me sick.. I can't afford a shrink & my insurance won't cover it! Do you think that Yoga can help me? I'm 25 and in desperate need of help?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
twisti
Posted 2005-04-15 1:26 PM (#22055 - in reply to #22054)
Subject: RE: opinion

Yes in many ways!! The breathing you learn will help you greatly for one.............

I am sure the oter guys will pitch in with all the rest
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-15 1:33 PM (#22056 - in reply to #22054)

Hopeful,

I also have severe anxiety & panic attacks (though the panic has lessened recently, thank God!)  Yes, yoga can help - it has definitely helped me - but watch what you're doing - some poses are stimulating while others are calming.  You might want to do a little research into different styles before jumping into (no pun intended!) it.

Also, I don't know where you live, but in most of the US there are mental health clinics available where you can get therapy and possibly free meds - I do.  (Again, thank God!)  There are also books you can buy that can be helpful (I STRONGLY recommend "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David D. Burns).  Also a website for you: http://www.algy.com/anxiety/index.shtml  The forum there is GREAT.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss this further!

Hugs,

Echo

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-15 1:36 PM (#22058 - in reply to #22054)

You poor thing! You are taking a great step in trying to learn ways to help yourself instead of relying on the medical establishment.

One important thing to note, is that yoga is not a quick-fix. It WILL help you to live a calmer life and to be less reactive to the situations that set off your attacks. But, yoga is a very slow journey. It will create the mental/physical health and balance that you desire, but it will take a long time and lots of practice. There may be setbacks along the way. You need to know that going in, because I don't want you to become frustrated with the lack of fast results.
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-15 1:38 PM (#22059 - in reply to #22054)

Hi Hopeful,

I don't feel qualified enough to give you a good answer here, as I don't suffer from this, but I just read a great book about Yoga and how the practice affects our mind in a positive way. It's called "Yoga For Depression" by Amy Weintraub, and you can read the reviews at Amazon.com.

Obviously, the bulk of the book is about how Yoga affects those with depression, but she did mention anxiety. Perhaps there's also a book out there on anxiety and Yoga ~ I'll look around for you. I'm a total bookworm, so I'm always in the library looking up something or other.

I think Yoga would be wonderful for you, and I'm interested to hear if others on the board have had personal experience with this issue.

Hang around with us for a bit.

*Edit: Hey, looks like you got some good answers already!*

Edited by Kabu 2005-04-15 1:40 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)