YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ACE/AFAA certification
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-15 1:41 PM (#22061)
Subject: ACE/AFAA certification

Do any of you guys have ACE or AFAA certification (or both)? What do you know about it? What is your take? I am being told by a local gym that I need to get one or the other (preferably both) before I will be allowed to teach there. This is a very high-class gym and is affiliated with a respected hospital, and I want very much to work there someday! So, I have been looking at these certifications, and it certainly seems like they would benefit me - primarily they seem to be training on anatomy, kinesiology, and exercise physiology.

Just wanted to throw this out there for opinion before I start writing checks to these organizations! Thanks guys!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-04-15 7:23 PM (#22081 - in reply to #22061)
Subject: RE: ACE/AFAA certification

Hey jeans!

I have been checking AFAA also for certification. I will be teaching again in a gym just one night a week. AAFA is $$ and I was certified with them years ago when I taught aerobics for 8-10 years. I took a class to prepare me for the exam for 6 weeks, I taught on the 8 count phrase, etc. failed the exam by 2 points. Took the exam again, the practical portion, paid more $, passed. Moved to Germany, wanted to become an examiner for AFAA, paid$, drove 2 hours to Frankfurt, they moved the testing facility on the Base, finally found it, sorry too late. Let my certification go, took a written exam, paid $$, barely passed by what they said. My analogy of the situation: if you have the $ and don't mind flunking the exams once or barely passing, go for it. I would stay away! I had had it with them when I was driving back from Frankfurt for NOTHING. I would go with ACE. Yogafit is another source, but I have not been impressed with the instructors that have been certified by them. Check it out. I hope I have helped. Sorry so negative with AFAA, but after dealing with them for almost 10 years, no more. PS. I am a good instructor!

Namaste2
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-15 8:38 PM (#22084 - in reply to #22061)

Oh my gosh! That sounds like a nightmare! I was planning to go for the ACE (only), but everyone at the gym says "Why? AFAA is easier!" Geez, that doesn't sound easy!

I do have my 200-hr certification with the Yoga Alliance, but the gym(s) demand the fitness one as well. It's not a bad idea to be well-rounded, I could use a lot more training in the subjects anyway! But, it sucks to have to spend more money . . . I know it will make me more marketable when I leave this one-horse town, too.

A quick note on YogaFit, I have been down on them for years because they used to have such crappy training, but last week I took an AMAZING class only to find out afterward that the teacher was YogaFit trained! She was telling me all the things she had to do/learn, and I think YogaFit has gotten a LOT more extensive in the past few years. At any rate, I want to take back every nasty thought I ever had about them. This woman is a wonderful, amazing teacher!

I am sure all schools and traditions have their crummy teachers as well as geniuses . . .
JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-16 7:31 AM (#22115 - in reply to #22061)

Extreme Veteran

I am AFAA certified because I teach group fitness (spin, "sculpt") at a gym as well as yoga. I don't think my gym requires the yoga/pilates only instructors to have it though.

I found the exam to be not easy but doable. I did study a lot though. The exam is preceeded by a workshop in which the examiner goes over all of the information and you are given lots of opportunites to work on stuff you might be shaky on. From what I have heard, the ACE written exam is much harder than AFAA's, but ACE doesn't have a practical component. When I took the test (2 1/2 years ago), the practical had three parts: the first was to demonstrate a hi/lo type aerobic workout for about 5 minutes. We did this as a group and didn't have to teach anyone, just demonstrate. Part 2 was demo'ing exercises for particular body parts- again, no teaching, but she would say something like "Demonstrate a tricep exercise" and you had to know what to do to work the tricep. In Part 3 we taught an exercise to the group showing 3 progressive levels- I chose to teach a pushup. My examiner really wanted us to succeed. I do reccommend studying for the written part though, especially if you don't have an extensive background in exercise science.

AFAA does require recert every 2 years, which you obtain by getting CEC's (I think it's 15?) plus there's a recert fee. Some people think it's a racket to make $, and in some ways it is. I tend to take lots of CEC workshops anyway so it's not really a problem for me. I'm sure ACE has recert requirements as well- just not sure what they are.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!
JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-16 7:33 AM (#22116 - in reply to #22061)

Extreme Veteran

Regarding YogaFit, I've done levels 1 & 2 with them and I really like them a lot. I got tons out of the 2 workshops I attended. I think the presenter can make all the difference, and I had two really good ones.

I'm going a more traditional route for some additional training, so I probably won't be doing Level 3 (well, never say never!) but I like YogaFit a lot.
JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-16 7:36 AM (#22117 - in reply to #22061)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry to post 3 successive times, but I keep forgetting to include stuff I want to say!

YogaFit isn't a certifying body- their workshops are teacher trainings (but by attending them you can obtain 200 Hours necessary for the Yoga Alliance RYT designation). Anyway, if the gym wants you to get a primary cert in Group Fitness (ACE, AFAA), YogaFit probably won't be an option to fulfill that requirement.

Posted 2005-04-16 9:08 AM (#22119 - in reply to #22061)

Just another thought my friends....I was speaking with one of yogi gym instructors who is in the same boat with needing the certifications and she was thinking about Personal Training. She is certified to teach Body Pump, working out with the Fitness Ball, etc., but the Personal Training would be the icing on the cake for yoga. What if someone wanted PT in yoga for an hour? Uhmmmm...Might be worth checking into. Why not?

AFAA is good and I chose them because of the practical. The exam is easy, the practical is where they can get ya. ACE has a hard written exam so I have heard. I believe both have personal training programs. Just a thought for us gym yogis!

Namaste2

Posted 2005-04-16 9:18 AM (#22120 - in reply to #22115)

Hey Jackiecat!

I hear the Spin/Sculpt classes rock! When I spoke with my friend back home, she is teaching Spinning and ending the class with 20 minutes of Yoga stretching. She says it is a great way to introduce yoga to those who otherwise would not go to a yoga class.

What a great concept combining fitness and yoga together. I am going to check this out at my new gym and try to incorporate if it is not in place. Kudos to you for being an AFAA instructor...it is a hard exam, especially the practical!

Namaste2
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-16 11:10 AM (#22124 - in reply to #22061)

I have looked at the Personal Trainer modules as well, and this would be a good route (especially as I go for my 500-hr registration as a Professional Yoga Therapist). But, this place requires Group Fitness Instructor certification (ACE or AFAA) before allowing you to teach classes.

I have a question about AFAA, and it's not clear from their website. Is the workshop and the exam on the same day? I don't understand how it's structured.
JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-16 1:03 PM (#22129 - in reply to #22061)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Jean-

Yes, the AFAA workshop and exam are on the same day. The first half of the day is spent going over the material in the study guide (which they give you when you register) and practicing for the practical part of the exam. You take the exam during the second half of the day. Our group did the practicals first and the written part second. Mine was a small group (about 10 people) so I'm not sure how they structure it when there's a larger group.

AFAA does offer a "Practical Skills and Choreography" workshop that often precedes the Group Ex instructor exam by a day which is considered to be a training workshop to prepare for the exam. But unless you want to teach aerobics, I don't really think it's necessary. If you've ever TAKEN an aerobics class, you should be able to make it through that part of the exam, especially after the morning workshop on the day of the exam. And the study guide should make pretty clear exactly what they expect from you on the practical. If you've never taken aerobics, then it might be a good idea. But it is an additional $129.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-16 1:48 PM (#22132 - in reply to #22061)

Ahh, thank you! This information is more valuable than you know. There is an AFAA workshop/exam near my home on May 14, but I am not ready to take it yet. I need to study my anatomy/physiology a lot more - and take an aerobics class!

Right now I'm being pulled in 10 different directions as I'm easing out of my old job as a big-butted sedentary cubicle monkey and into my new job as a full-time fitness professional! I'm working constantly, days in the office and teaching at night, and I'm so tired that my brain can't process all the correct names for the muscles and movements. This morning in class I was like "Now lift your . . . um . . . uh . . . FOOT! Yeah, foot, that's the word I was looking for."

Here's my current plan, and I'd really appreciate your feedback. I will begin working part-time at the YMCA in June (plus teaching a few other places) and then will able to focus more on health and fitness. In addition to teaching & training, I'll be able to work out at the Y a lot more and take all the classes I want. I'm planning to order the ACE study pack with my next paycheck and start working on that. The next exams in my area are in August, then again in November (not sure I'll be ready by August). Hopefully, an AFAA workshop/exam date in Michigan will come up in the meantime, and I'll be more prepared because of my work at the Y and my ACE studies. Then, knock on wood, there's a chance I'll be certified in both by the end of the year (fingers crossed?).

Does this actually make sense? I am so new to this career that I'm not sure if things that make sense to me are really any good in the real world!
JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-18 1:36 PM (#22281 - in reply to #22132)

Extreme Veteran

That sounds like a great plan, and very doable!

When do you go for your pilates cert? You're doing Power Pilates, right? I am thinking of doing their mat cert this summer. I took a class with Dana Eisenstein (one of their master instructors) at the ECA fitness convention in March and it was great!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-18 2:53 PM (#22293 - in reply to #22061)

Yep, I'm going for Power Pilates basic mat certification next month! They have a weekend gig in the same town where my grandfather lives (Birmingham, MI). I'm VERY excited. Though, I have never taken a live class with a Power Pilates instructor, just purchased the DVD's. The instructor on the Beginner's Mat DVD is extremely annoying, but the exercises are just so great. My students are going to love it!!!

Thanks so much for reviewing my plans! I gave 2 months notice at my other job, and sometimes it seems like that's going to drag on forever. Then I think about all the stuff I want to have learned by then and it seems like its coming up WAY too fast!
JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-18 4:04 PM (#22296 - in reply to #22061)

Extreme Veteran

That's so funny- I think the instructor on the Beginner DVD is really annoying also. Could her inflection be any weirder? The really tall, thin pretty girl on the left in the Beginner class is Dana- the girl who taught the master class that I took. She's awesome.

I am fortunate to live about 35 miles outside of NYC, so I can go to the Power Pilates studio and take classes. I haven't yet- I need to get there but it's hard to coordinate my schedule with all of the classes that I teach though.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-18 4:37 PM (#22301 - in reply to #22061)

Oh, how cool!! I wonder why they didn't let her teach on the tape then? I have to admit, as much as the inflection is very annoying, it does cause me to remember the key phrases better. I only hope I don't accidentally slip into using her inflections during a class!!

I also have the Postnatal tape from Power Pilates (I hoped it would help me recover from abdominal surgery, not pregnancy) and I LOVE that instructor. After doing that tape, I felt just like a ballerina!

How is the Intermediate tape, do you know? I am bidding on a copy on Ebay at the moment! I also have the Classical Pilates matwork DVD's, they're awesome. They sure throw a ton of information at you in a very short time! No napping during that one!

You're so lucky to live near so many great studios! We have the bare minimum out here in West Michigan, as far as both yoga and Pilates. Even as a teacher I'm frustrated, I get sick of my own classes sometimes! I get stuck in a rut!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)