YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

those leotard things
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

easternsun
Posted 2005-04-15 9:54 PM (#22100)
Subject: those leotard things

i dont know where to post this or what to even call the item i am after.

i have decided after all this time of being anti-yoga leotards (because of the lady in the purple one with pink stockings that taught yoga on the ?CBC/PBS? when i was a child) that i would like one.

i find that sometimes when i am demonstrating a pose, i need to hike up my pant legs or pull up my shirt to expose my abdomen. i think it would just be easier if i was wearing a one piece.

i like the ones that are knee length. i have done a bit of a search online but i keep getting ballet leotards which are not quite what i am after. any ideas?

also, does anyone wear them? do they ummmm....ride up? i hope you get what i mean without me having to elaborate!

i am anti-ebay so i wont be doing any shopping there BTW....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-16 5:45 AM (#22112 - in reply to #22100)
Subject: RE: those leotard things

Kira, just for the fun of it I googled "leotards" and it seems there are more manufacturers and stockists out there than you'll ever need. Why you only find ballet leotards escapes me.
BTW, I don't wear those.

Edited by afroyogi 2005-04-16 5:46 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-04-16 10:15 AM (#22121 - in reply to #22100)

Expert Yogi

Hey Kira - they are often called leggings or tights nowadays so searching that way will help. Iyengar teachers are absolutely driven insane by all the baggy pants sold for yoga these days. Not only do they cover up too much for demos but you can't see the legs and I find, the odd time I try to wear sweats or causal pants for practice that they get in the way all the time.

There are tons of places that sell yoga tights. I don't know if they have them on this site or not. Gilda Marx is a big company that has them, the one-piece with the back opening that you often see people like Patricia Walden wear I think are from Marie Wright. A friend of mine has one and loves it. I like capri length tights that I get from a small place called Ellswear (they have an online store). The nice thing about them is that they will customize for 5 bucks extra so I always get them to add a bit to the back waist . That way they are not revealing anything when I demo forward bends. If I had the big back tattoo I would maybe not care
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-16 1:36 PM (#22131 - in reply to #22100)

Hm, I guess I know what the problem is, ladies. Kira's location is in Japan and pobably many of the american mail-order companies don't ship over there. I have no clue about the availability of female yoga clothing in Japan.
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-16 8:39 PM (#22143 - in reply to #22121)

tourist - 2005-04-17 12:15 AM

Hey Kira - they are often called leggings or tights nowadays so searching that way will help. Iyengar teachers are absolutely driven insane by all the baggy pants sold for yoga these days. Not only do they cover up too much for demos but you can't see the legs and I find, the odd time I try to wear sweats or causal pants for practice that they get in the way all the time.

There are tons of places that sell yoga tights. I don't know if they have them on this site or not. Gilda Marx is a big company that has them, the one-piece with the back opening that you often see people like Patricia Walden wear I think are from Marie Wright. A friend of mine has one and loves it. I like capri length tights that I get from a small place called Ellswear (they have an online store). The nice thing about them is that they will customize for 5 bucks extra so I always get them to add a bit to the back waist . That way they are not revealing anything when I demo forward bends. If I had the big back tattoo I would maybe not care

thanks for the heads up glenda!

this is exactly what i am talking about - how can you see if the legs are off the ground in up dog if the baggy pants hang down to the mat?

the one i am after is a one piece that is like a tank on top and ends at the knees. i will do some more checking. i love the ones patricia walden wears - ok, i love her body and flexibilty

great idea about looking for pants with a high back! i will keep that in mind! no tats here - thank goodness or i would not be able to go to the gym, sauna, pool, or onsen. they have strict no tatoos rules here.

stephan: you are correct! other than the totally over priced stuff - there just isnt a lot out there. and the shy little japanese ladies are not into anything body hugging! which makes it tough when i am trying to see what is going on under all those layers of clothes.

one of the super models turned yogis, christy turlington came out with a line "nuala" that is selling at one of the big department stores but can i say - expensive! and can i say - not the best quality. if i am going to spend $100 dollars on yoga pants (which i am NOT!)- they had better last for a long time!

thanks for your responses folks!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-16 9:46 PM (#22147 - in reply to #22143)

Expert Yogi

It's sort of funny to hear women complain about a lack of yoga clothing.
When I look for yoga clothes, it's all for women. Men are just out on the
tiles when it comes to yoga clothes.

So, all you yoga teachers out there, should I wear tight clothes when I
do yoga, so that my alignment is more obvious? I usually go with baggy shorts
and a baggy T-shirt so that I can move easily. I'm guessing that the yuck factor
of a tank top is overcome by the better exposure of the shoulders? I've got no
style sense *at all*, so I have to go with other folks advice.

miss dee
Posted 2005-04-16 9:49 PM (#22148 - in reply to #22143)
Subject: It's called a UNITARD

you are looking for a UNITARD.

any good dance clothes store will have it.
look for or ask for the brand "one step ahead" out of San Fran CA.
their "supplex" fabrics wick away the sweat. try to stay away from cotton. they have TONS of colors and styles.
these are reasonably priced and you can usually get them long sleeved- tank styled- short sleeved- capri length legs- long to the ankle or my favorite- short legs (mid thigh).

very nice, very modest for yoga.

peace.
dee
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-16 9:50 PM (#22149 - in reply to #22148)
Subject: RE: It's called a UNITARD

Expert Yogi

But, not for guys.
miss dee
Posted 2005-04-16 10:01 PM (#22150 - in reply to #22149)
Subject: RE: It's called a UNITARD

well, yes I have a guy who used to take yoga from me who now teaches some where here in town who would wear one of these occasionally.
he chose a black one, long to the ankle with a tank top style. he was quite femme in many other ways, even so, it never "looked right" to me.
the one bulge there in the middle just seemed to ruin the nice clean lines of the suit in a way the women's breasts don't. also, I admit was a little bothered his a$$ looked thinner in his than I ever did in mine!!

dee
tourist
Posted 2005-04-17 11:10 AM (#22171 - in reply to #22147)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - baggy shorts are not so bad but baggy t shirts get in the way for some poses. It doesn't have to be form fitting but somewhat close to the body. A couple of our male students wear sleeveless t shirts, which seem to be miles better to my eye than a tank top. Running stores will have all kinds of shorts - from the classic very short shorts with a liner to bike type shorts without the chamois to surfer shorts. Another good option for men (and ladies, actually) is to look into rock climbing gear. The clothing is fitted but not tight and I have had several students who used it and looked comfortable in it. The hugger-mugger leg band shorts seem to require a certain type of man to be able to wear them with ease but they do look very comfortable and functional. I haven't seen any guys in our classes wearing capri length pants or tights - again - a certain individual can do it (didn't I see photos of Baron B. wearing them?) but not for everyone.

I have gone almost completely to the capri length tights lately - just below the knee. They are just a little less warm than full tights but nicer than shorts, which often seem to need adjusting. I did have a pair of shorts that went just above the knee that I liked as well.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-17 12:27 PM (#22184 - in reply to #22143)

easternsun - 2005-04-17 2:39 AM
no tats here - thank goodness or i would not be able to go to the gym, sauna, pool, or onsen. they have strict no tatoos rules here.

You must be kiddin', right? Is there a law against tats? I know that there is a tribe of native japanese people where all the women have heavy face tattoos. What about them?

Edited by afroyogi 2005-04-17 12:28 PM
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-04-17 2:29 PM (#22189 - in reply to #22184)

Has anyone tried those microfiber pants that I see at Target? I saw a pair of khaki ones that I liked, they were a bit baggy, capri length, and had a drawstring waiste... What made me think twice was : Do they get transparent when you sweat on them?
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-17 6:44 PM (#22200 - in reply to #22100)

glenda, yes i have seen baron baptiste (in a photo) in those tights with a tank. i think the "upside down triangle" top balances that "i am wearing girlie tights" bottom -- so he looks ok. i am sure that it must be tough for guys to find the right yoga outfit - i agree with you on the rock climbing wear. very functional!

as for the tatoos....tatoo = yakusa (mafia). obviously, not all people with tats are mafia but that is how those places i listed deal with that particular problem. is it a fair way? no! does it work? yes!

i have a few friends who use giant bandaids at the gym or wear long sleeves but when i want to go to the spa with my girlfriends, we always have to figure out what to do as you cant cover them with make up and you are walking around au naturelle for a hour or two. generally, we try to hide them and then occasionally get kicked out. bummer but i am used to it.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-17 9:14 PM (#22209 - in reply to #22171)

Expert Yogi

I like the suggestion of rock climbing clothes, so I'll look more closely
next time one of those catalogs shows up.

Wild about tattoo prohibitions! I can understand the reasoning, but it's
very different than what I am used to. The question I have about lower back
tattoos is how you enjoy them --- do you just stand in front of a mirror and
look over your shoulder?

tourist
Posted 2005-04-17 9:29 PM (#22215 - in reply to #22209)

Expert Yogi

I think the lower back tattoos are specifically intended for others, or especially a significant other to admire
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-17 9:38 PM (#22217 - in reply to #22100)
Subject: Tats

Wow. That's really interesting about your culture, easternsun. At my studio it seems having a tattoo is a prerequisite for practicing yoga. There are even several "ohms" on various body parts.

Bay Guy, I got my tattoo on my back because I wanted a tatto really bad when I was 20....but knew that I wouldn't want to stare at it all the time. Also its easy to cover up and won't stretch too much as my body changes! And if I ever regret getting it...I don't have to look at it.

afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-18 4:33 PM (#22300 - in reply to #22100)

Guess how we call those lower back tatoos in Germany: @$$ antlers
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-20 10:08 PM (#22484 - in reply to #22217)
Subject: RE: Tats

Expert Yogi

Well, I guess it's better to have a tattoo on the lower back than on the back of
your neck.

So how do you pick a design for a tattoo? And how do you find a good tattoo artist?
Thushara
Posted 2005-04-20 10:37 PM (#22487 - in reply to #22484)
Subject: RE: Tats

I love tattoos ..but here you are not respected by people if you have a tattoo. If peopel see you with a tatoo They think you are a hippy or mafia or a fast girl or a drug addicted.. So I cant do that

Edited by Thushara 2005-04-20 10:38 PM
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-21 8:59 AM (#22503 - in reply to #22100)
Subject: RE: tats & piercings

I think tattoos look hot, but I can also picture how saggy and gross it might look when I'm 80. One of my teachers had a big OM tat on the back of her neck, but she also had long "yoga teacher hair" so you could not see it unless she twisted it up into a bun for class. I thought it was kinda cool.

I also think bellybutton rings are cute, but I never got one because my belly fat is not fit for public viewing! Now I'm teaching/practicing all the time and my belly is getting flatter and flatter, but that surgery in February made my bellybutton look really messed up and ugly - not to mention surrounded by purple scar tissue stretching all the way down to my *muladhara chakra.* On the plus side, the skin is still very numb so if I were going to pierce it, now would be the time!
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-21 9:12 AM (#22507 - in reply to #22100)

I think it's a person to person basis - i've seen tattoos on people that looked amazing, and I've seen them look just silly.

Same goes for belly rings or piercings of any sort, raelly. I was really really hesistant to get my nose pierced for fear that it just wouldn't work - but I got toooons of compliments on it. Just a little steel stud - not even that noticabl, really. I was sad when I lost it (but also too lazy to go get a replacement)
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-21 9:55 AM (#22516 - in reply to #22507)
Subject: Body Accessories

Expert Yogi

Thushara,

If its any consolation, my nose is pierced. Talk about being out of place. In your culture that would be the perfect thing to do right?? Well, in mine, here in the countryside in America..people stare at my nose all the time. Most stare because they don't know how to accept it (especially my Father), but others especially older women over 45 say I am going to do that it looks so good, yadda yadda.

I'm scared of tattoos...I know I would get tired of the artwork and would want to change it all the time, therefore I will have to use the temporary ones. To me it does not look feminine or attractive to have a tattoo, but I know some men like that. My husband has 2 tattoos on each arm. He says, when he goes back to Nepal and his Mother sees them that she will *beat* him for doing that:~) Now, as far as bellybutton goes...how does that feel, does it hurt?? Since, Satyam is a jeweler, I like having several different nose rings and I suppose I could design my own belly rings too

Edited by Cyndi 2005-04-21 9:55 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-04-21 10:01 AM (#22519 - in reply to #22516)
Subject: RE: Body Accessories

Expert Yogi

Older? 45? Excusez moi?
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-21 10:08 AM (#22522 - in reply to #22519)
Subject: RE: Body Accessories

Expert Yogi

Sorry, I didn't do that right, and I really don't know how to make it right either If it makes you feel any better, I'm 41 this summer!
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-21 10:12 AM (#22523 - in reply to #22100)

I want a tattoo, but I'm too chicken. It looks painful.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)