YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

those leotard things
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tourist
Posted 2005-04-21 10:28 AM (#22529 - in reply to #22523)
Subject: RE: those leotard things

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - don't worry about it - we older women are tough old birds. We can take it!

Kabu - my daughter was terrified she would back out half way through her (one) tattoo and end up with a mess but she hung in there. I quite like it - it is a picture of a dandilion puff. What really upset me was when my son got his tongue pierced. One little mistake there and it could be a lifetime of speech problems and who knows what. I think he actually has removed it now. As a singer, it got in his way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-21 10:03 PM (#22621 - in reply to #22519)
Subject: RE: Body Accessories

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-04-21 10:01 AM

Older? 45? Excusez moi?

Think Eminence Grise.

When I go to my ashtanga class, I am the "old man" with all these
college-age kids (oh excuse me, these mature adults who are in
graduate school). You're not old until your kids hit puberty...then
it comes on fast.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-21 10:28 PM (#22629 - in reply to #22621)

Expert Yogi

Come on BG, don't say that!! Age is only a State of Mind. If you don't mind, it don't matter I'm still young, I have a college kid that just hit puberty..I'm not going to the downhill slide, not for at least another 75 years!! I'm in my second life and I'm doing YOGA, Thank you very much.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-04-21 10:29 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-21 10:34 PM (#22633 - in reply to #22629)

Expert Yogi

Well, yes, if you count prior lives I am old indeed. Very old.....
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-21 10:45 PM (#22637 - in reply to #22633)

Expert Yogi

Well, you couldn't have possibly lived as many lives as I have just in this one life. Have you ever felt like you died before only to wake up and realize you were still here. Then die all over again, and there you are....still here! Who knows, maybe we really aren't here afterall, life is but a dream
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-22 4:09 PM (#22692 - in reply to #22100)
Subject: RE: piercings and oldness

So if you're not old until the kids hit puberty - does that mean you never get old if you never have kids?

Sweet!! I knew there was a benefit to this somehow!
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-22 8:30 PM (#22723 - in reply to #22503)
Subject: RE: tats & piercings

jeansyoga - 2005-04-22 10:59 PM

I also think bellybutton rings are cute, but I never got one because my belly fat is not fit for public viewing! Now I'm teaching/practicing all the time and my belly is getting flatter and flatter, but that surgery in February made my bellybutton look really messed up and ugly - not to mention surrounded by purple scar tissue stretching all the way down to my *muladhara chakra.* On the plus side, the skin is still very numb so if I were going to pierce it, now would be the time!

i have a some point or another pierced just about everything possible with the exception of my eybrows/lips/chin. it started with my ears, , then my nose (i did that one by myself, but i had to take it out-- when mom saw it she went ballistic!), then (after i moved away from home ) i did the top of my ear, then my belly button. i have had that one for about 13 years. more were added then subtracted...the only ones i kept were the original ear holes and the belly ring.

some hurt more than others, some not at all. on a scale of 1 - 10, i would say that the navel is a five.... maybe a four??

most of mine were in places where no one could see them, so it is/was a really personally thing for me. the great thing is, if you dont like it - you can always take it out.

the only time it is visible is at the sauna/spa/gym (they dont know what to do about it!! they dont have a rule against it but they dont like it either!!) or on the beach once a year. in japan, piercings are still not common and i get evil stares and glares. i definitely dont go around with my abs exposed. even when teaching yoga! i pull my shirt up and down when i need to but mostly keep the tums covered up. and i think i have a nice belly!

we were talking about ear piercing at school last week. none of my teachers have real pierced ears and they all said they are afraid! in japan, earing - pronounced eeeaaahhriiinnggu -refers to clip ons and pierce - pronounced piiiaahhhsssuuu - refers to those crazy kids with real holes in their ears.

my favourite thing about my navel is that it is a little radar system. if i am getting run down, or soon to come down with a cold or infection - my navel knows first. it gets sensitive before the rest of my body. that is usually when i start gobbling echinacea and taking extra care of myself. usually i can stave off illness thanks to the advance warning system i have installed

i will have to remove it if i ever get "with child" - but since you wont be - and you already have a threshold for pain from all those surgeries i say, go for it! you minght find it quite liberating and if you dont like it - just take it out. then you can say that you have been, there done that and bought the belly ring
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-22 8:59 PM (#22727 - in reply to #22100)
Subject: tats & piercings

I have a tattoo, which I got about a year before I had my belly button pierced. I was shocked when my mom got more upset about the belly button than my tattoo.

I am still very happy with both of them. Especially my belly button since I can see. I was a little drunk when I had it done ( ) so I don't remember the pain so much at the time. It took a good 6 months before it stopped being so sensitive. I remember very vividly getting it caught on my jeans....OUCH. BUT it went away and now its cool! My ring fell out once and my belly button loking so BORING!

I don't show it off very much, though. Its just for me...and maybe a special someone.

afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-22 9:00 PM (#22728 - in reply to #22100)

>> So how do you pick a design for a tattoo? And how do you find a good tattoo artist? <<

I can only tell you how NOT to do it: There was a tatoo covention in town and I just stumbled in, very drunk. I only knew that I wanted a tatoo of a fishbone and asked around till I finally found a guy who was willing to do it. See, I wanted a very simple comic-like design and most of the artists refused but wanted to do very artfull stuff. Eventually I found one artist who got my idea and was willing to do it. At that evening I made two major mistakes, first the hygienic circumstances at his booth were very questionable and second I was drunk what actually thins your blood and makes you bleed much easier. Needless to say that I got a ugly infection and half of the tatoo peeled off in the following days and weeks. It looks quite funny now, not only like a eaten fish but like a rotten one.
How to pick a design? Of course you can browse through the albums provided by the studios or you can buy magazines. Pick one that you like and have it modified to your taste. Or you can draw one yourself and show it to the artist. He then will throw in his opinion and you can work out something together. Or you can go there, like I did, with nothing but a blurred idea and leave the design up to him. A responsible artist will draw the design on your skin first so you can have a look at it before he goes to it with the needle. For my second ink I picked a rather small and very basic design to which we added lots of snake-like tails. Tribal style. It's now more than 1' in lenght. This design can now be modified over and over again until it covers my whole body. The base of it, however, isn't any bigger than 2,5".

>> I love tattoos ..but here you are not respected by people if you have a tattoo. If peopel see you with a tatoo They think you are a hippy or mafia or a fast girl or a drug addicted.. So I cant do that <<

Haha, I am a hippie so I couldn't care less! And quite frankly, who cares what other people think anyways?

>> I think tattoos look hot, but I can also picture how saggy and gross it might look when I'm 80. <<

I don't want to talk bad about you but once you're 80 you'll look not so hot anyway. So, again, who cares? It's about the fun right now!

>> I want a tattoo, but I'm too chicken. It looks painful. <<

That depends on where you're gonna have the tat, Kabu. See, the sensitivity of our skin varies all over the surface of our body. Naturally a tatoo on the ouside of the arms is less hurtfull than on the inside. Tatoos hurt more the thinner the skin is and the closer any bones are to the surface. A tat on the shinbone will probably hurt more than on the calf.
Altogether, there are more pleasing experiences, sure, but it's not too bad!

>> So if you're not old until the kids hit puberty - does that mean you never get old if you never have kids? <<

No, that means you never come out of puberty yourself! I'm 42 now and just had a mohican haircut! I don't think I had done it if I happened to be a father.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-23 9:55 PM (#22768 - in reply to #22728)
Subject: Tattoos

Expert Yogi

Stefan, I guess I'd agree that you have good description of how not to get a tattoo!

Kira, I suppose that one can get a tattoo in a more private part of the body, so that
it will not usually be uncovered...although from what you said some of the clubs you
visit are entirely uncovered....I guess that there are a few sad advantages to American
prudishness. Other than locker rooms, social nudity is more rare here...
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-24 4:07 AM (#22785 - in reply to #22768)
Subject: RE: Tattoos

Bay Guy - 2005-04-25 11:55 AM

Stefan, I guess I'd agree that you have good description of how not to get a tattoo!

Kira, I suppose that one can get a tattoo in a more private part of the body, so that
it will not usually be uncovered...although from what you said some of the clubs you
visit are entirely uncovered....I guess that there are a few sad advantages to American
prudishness. Other than locker rooms, social nudity is more rare here...

japanese onsens, saunas and spas are all fully nude. the shower areas are different in that we sit on small stools to shower before bathing...so all the ladies are showering together instead of in seperate little stalls. the staff arent in there looking for tatoos - but if you have one, i can guarantee someone will go and inform the staff

women here are totally shy about their bodies and nudity but in the bath people really dont seem to care. i get the most stares though partly from the navel ring, partly because i am usually the only white girl and people want to see if all our "bits" are the same i am used to it but sometimes i want to yell :nani mite no??WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?? but i know that wouldnt help anyone or anything!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-24 9:00 AM (#22795 - in reply to #22785)

Expert Yogi

easternsun - 2005-04-24 4:07 AM

women here are totally shy about their bodies and nudity but in the bath people really dont seem to care. i get the most stares though partly from the navel ring, partly because i am usually the only white girl and people want to see if all our "bits" are the same i am used to it but sometimes i want to yell :nani mite no??WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?? but i know that wouldnt help anyone or anything!

My wife and I were in the train station in Osaka a number of years ago, and we stopped
at a noodle place to eat. As we sat at our table, we saw that the entire staff
of the restuarant had positioned itself around the room to watch us eat. They'd always
look away if I turned my head in their direction. I guess they wanted to see whether these
Gaijin could handle chopsticks. Fortunately, we could!

The laugh went the other way when we visited a "western" restuarant in Okazaki.
I remember watching some locals trying to eat spaghetti using a knife and folk -- those
both held in one hand as if each were a chopstick!
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-24 12:25 PM (#22813 - in reply to #22795)

Bay Guy - 2005-04-24 3:00 PM
locals trying to eat spaghetti using a knife and folk --

folk??? C'mon now, I thought we've overcome these silly prejudices about asians not able to pronounce the R.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-24 3:06 PM (#22822 - in reply to #22813)

Expert Yogi

You monster...that's just a typo...besides, the "l" wouldn't be voiced in english
anyway....
Thushara
Posted 2005-04-25 1:24 AM (#22841 - in reply to #22728)

afroyogi - 2005-04-23 8:00 AM

>> I love tattoos ..but here you are not respected by people if you have a tattoo. If peopel see you with a tatoo They think you are a hippy or mafia or a fast girl or a drug addicted.. So I cant do that <<

Haha, I am a hippie so I couldn't care less! And quite frankly, who cares what other people think anyways?

Afro, the society is quite complicated here than you think., Its just you cant do what ever you want ., If we are living in this society., we have to live accordingly. Otherwise You are heading for so much of complications in life., Its not only your reputation when something is wrong., it affects your family, relatives your profession and so much more…

Its really cool if you can live in a place where you do not have to bother about what others think. Specially the relatives…. Believe me you wont understand.. Its quite different living here. Living in a society like this., you have to sacrifice lot of your likings to make others happy
I wish this will change in another 20 years…

So you guys who can have tats sooo cooool . Why don’t you do this.. Post pics of your tats and we will select the best !!!

easternsun
Posted 2005-04-25 4:36 AM (#22846 - in reply to #22822)

Bay Guy - 2005-04-25 5:06 AM

You monster...that's just a typo...besides, the "l" wouldn't be voiced in english
anyway....

when i introduce myself to people i say "watashi wa kira desu"
what they hear is "my name is killer"

you dont know how many times i have had to explain this! sometimes when i am feeling extra cheeky i just say "yes, my mother named me killer".

i edited to add that people still ask me if i know how to use "chopsticks" (ohashi) and i immediately ask them if they know how to use a fork. not strangers - dh's family!

Edited by easternsun 2005-04-25 4:38 AM
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-25 9:25 AM (#22855 - in reply to #22100)

We hosted a Japanese exchange student when I was in high school, and her name when we got her was Rina....She later told us that her name was actually "Lina", but she preferred to use the R.

And it was months before we could figure out what the heck she meant when she said "flowbubbly". My mom and I would exchange confused looks, but we wanted to be polite so never asked...As her English developed "flowbubbly" slowly turned into "plowbably", and we finally caught on to her meaning "probably". And don't even ask about the street named "rural" - it took several minutes of back and forth to figure out that one!

tourist
Posted 2005-04-25 10:06 AM (#22858 - in reply to #22855)

Expert Yogi

I have a Bulgarian friend who loves to tell us about her English learning mistakes. When she first got here she worked at a place that made birthday cakes. You know, "sheet cakes." Well. Bulgarian does not have the long E sound, just the short E which they pronounce like the I in bit, lit, etc. One day her boss came in to find her counting the cakes she had to make that day, counting out loud to improve her English like a good girl. "One sh*t cake, two sh*t cakes..."
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)