YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

uh oh
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-17 12:23 PM (#22183)
Subject: uh oh

Hi

I just got back from a morning Primary Series, which was great! My last several practices have all just clicked.

HOWEVER, my teacher gave me an adjustment in the pose where one leg is bent back and you forward fold over the straight (I can't remember the sanskrit or engligh name!) and it hurt slightly on the left side of my knee. He made the same adjustment on the other side...no problem. Then later when I went into urdhava padmasana I head something going on in my knee. No pain, just some subtle pops. Maybe even a crunch.

After the practice I can feel the area where this all occurred. No pain, just like bit of heat in the area. I've read enough to know that crunching sounds are very bad. And if I tore something its going to hurt like H**L in the next few days. In all your expertise...does this sound bad? If so what are somethings I can do right now to help?? Ice? Heat? Anything?

Please let me know? Hopefully it isn't anything!!

BTW, its my right knee that is doing this.

Edited by tigrsunam 2005-04-17 12:40 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MrD
Posted 2005-04-17 3:51 PM (#22191 - in reply to #22183)
Subject: RE: uh oh

Ice packs for the next 24 hours, and anti-inflamatories then see how it goes. This may be a breakdown of scar tissue, or it may be serious. I had bursitis in one shoulder and as a consequence, I didn't move it for many years. One day when exercising, I did a long stretch on the shoulder, I felt a sharp pain, but then it subsided and I didn't have any more problem. My physical therapist said that the scar tissue had broken loose. Other times, say like an ankle twist, had to be guarded for a long time.

Be very careful the next few weeks.

Edited by MrD 2005-04-17 3:53 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-04-17 10:00 PM (#22223 - in reply to #22183)

Expert Yogi

Triang mukhaikapada pascimottanasana - no wonder you couldn't remember it. Yikes - knees are scary, aren't they? I had a huge cracking noise in my calf this weekend which scared the bejeebies out of me and several people nearby. I think it is similar to Mr. D's though since it doesn't hurt at all except in specific poses and there is no swelling. As he says, for you it has to be ice, "vitamin I" (ibuprofen or other anti-inflams) and rest and HOPE! Let us know!
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-17 11:01 PM (#22229 - in reply to #22183)

After an injury, remember R.I.C.E - Rest - Ice - Compression - Elevation - for the first 72 hours.  After that you can use heat if it makes your knee feel better.  Use an NSAID (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.) if you wish to reduce swelling. 

Hope your knee is feeling better soon!

Namaste!
Echo

tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-18 12:38 AM (#22230 - in reply to #22183)

I am totally crossing my fingers right now.

I put some ice on it. Can't say I rested much....it was a BEAUTIFUL day in Boston, and everyone was out and about getting excited about the Marathon tomorrow. I'm going to class tomorrow, and will make sure to baby it regardless how it feels...and will let my teacher know what's going on. My knees haven't given me any trouble until know. Guess I've been lucky

Tourist...that's the right pose, thanks for finding it!! LONG name! There are some poses I know only the english name, some on the sanskrit, and some just by recognition. SO MUCH to learn.

I'll keep you posted!

Thushara
Posted 2005-04-18 4:31 AM (#22237 - in reply to #22183)

During Last week New Year Holidays I slipped and fell while running and my right leg is hurt
I had to cancel all the classes and I can hardly walk. I have no idea when can I get back to yoga again., I had to cancel the Yoga classes too., My students keep on calling me and they don’t like another teacher taking their class., What I told them was to learn from the new teacher and show me all the new things they have learnt once I come back to the studio.,
Yesterday, I tried to stretch my leg gently and I cried for the pain., I want to get back to Yoga soon and I don’t know when. I got some local medicine (Ayurveda) But still no improvements. I had to climb stairs to come to the office and that make it worst
Its quite hard

tourist
Posted 2005-04-18 10:08 AM (#22253 - in reply to #22230)

Expert Yogi

tigrs - I have often wondered what people call that pose in English. A direct translation is difficult. I had to practice a long time to be able to rattle it off in class!

Thushara - I hope you heal soon! You should probably follow the advice everyone has given the original poster. Take care.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-18 10:57 AM (#22262 - in reply to #22223)

tourist -  Triang mukhaikapada pascimottanasana

nut Just those words leave my head spinning!  LOL

Hugs,

Echo

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-18 10:57 AM (#22263 - in reply to #22183)

Thushara - I'm so sorry to hear about your injuries! I know how much you are enjoying teaching. Is there any way you can run your classes verbally, without demonstrating so much? Or is there a friend/student who might be willing to help you by demonstrating the poses for you? That is how I was able to continue teaching right after surgery (although we did Yoga Nidra only for the first week).

I realize that things are different where you are, it sounds much stricter than the U.S. Just thought I'd throw out an idea because I hate to see you away from your classes!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-18 11:22 AM (#22264 - in reply to #22263)

Expert Yogi

Sorry Thushara,

Have you tried acupuncture?? I know you guys get tired of me saying that for everything, but it really does work. It eases the pain and allows your body to heal itself faster. My ex-husband and I have a painting business together. He is always falling off ladders & roofs, injuring himself. Orthopedic Doctors only want to prescribe weeks of bedrest with painkillers. Well, I make him, yes make him go to the acupuncture doctor and he gets immediate relief and always says, wow! I can't believe it, and is back to work in a couple of days rather than weeks. You better hurry up, don't let the kids suffer too long without you
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-18 11:39 AM (#22267 - in reply to #22183)

What echo said: R I C E & NSAIDs. That's the best bet off the bat. Also remember Ice for 20 min on and 40 min off. Longer than 20 min & you could give yourself frostbite which is a stupid and embarassing way to get frostbite.

Also be really careful with your knees. The primary & some other advanced asthanga series are really tough on the knees. Most ashtangis are so eager to get into the poses that they compensate for tight hips by turning their knees and tearing their ligaments. Padmasana and it's variattions should originate at the hip, not at the knees. Also be careful in Janu B & C those are killers! Give your ego a rest and stop going so deep. Modify and do simpler variations. Yoga is supposed to make you healthier, no? Ligaments really don't grow back. So tearing one is a really bad thing.
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-18 8:46 PM (#22330 - in reply to #22183)

Uh, I was actually pondering the whole idea of frostbite last night as I went to sleep with some frozen soup on my knee last night. Good thing the soup was defrosting and my boyfriend came home otherwise I would have interesting tale for you guys!

Today the knee was fine. I practiced, but was careful to listen to what my knee was teling me. There was no pain, but similiar noises occured when I went into the urdhva padmasana again. Nothing loud, no distinct "crunches" just some rumbling, I guess. Very different from the "cracks" my ankle and other joints make for sure. I know I am not out of the woods yet...but am still hopeful.

Its funny, I know padmasana is very difficult to some, but it was always "do-able" for me. I can't sit in it forever, but I can for a good 10 minutes without becoming uncomfortable. Janu-B is not problem for me, though Janu-C is still a mystery to me. Its not even a matter of pain rather than simple physics...my foot doesn't twist that way! I just put it where it wants to go, breath for 5 breaths and move on, usually.

Ashtanga is a mental challenge as much as a physical, that's for sure. I'm always battling where I want to go with where my body will let me. Its frustraiting for sure, but a great journey nonetheless.

Thushara, so sorry about you knee...I wish you speedy recovery!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-18 8:55 PM (#22333 - in reply to #22330)

Expert Yogi

Thushara -- I hope your knee gets better quick. Meanwhile, take it easy and stay
away from activities that cause any tiring of that area.

BG
Thushara
Posted 2005-04-19 5:26 AM (#22356 - in reply to #22333)

Thanks guys
But Nothing major has happened to my knee and its my anklet and the hip. Any way I’m going for a X-ray today. The pain is unbelievable when moving.. Can I call it "awareness of the body??

It will take some time to heal this no? Will I loose the flexibility while waiting for this to heal., Thats bothering me.. This might take 1 months (More or less) Yesterday when I went to the doctor I asked how soon I can do yoga again., He said all depends

Hehe Yoga guy has started saying “no?” yaa..

Edited by Thushara 2005-04-19 5:27 AM
sideshow
Posted 2005-04-20 8:33 PM (#22472 - in reply to #22183)

I usually always hear some sort of popping in my knees and legs, when coming down out of a shoulderstand. It isnt really a painfull popping, however it is very audible. bah..this post is nonsense, sorry. I would suggest probably just IBprofen and Aleve.
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-23 11:47 AM (#22757 - in reply to #22183)

Well, its been almost a week and my knee is fine!! It figures that I when I stress out over something like I did, that it's usually unwarranted. I appreciate the advice and good thoughts!

While I haven't felt the same pain in my knee, those small rumblings in my knee have continued. I guess its just something new my body is doing these days!
loli
Posted 2005-04-23 5:49 PM (#22761 - in reply to #22183)

Tigrs- Glad everything is OK
Thushara - I hope you are healing OK...sorry to hear you have been is so much pain

Triang Mukhaikapada Pascimottanasana:
Tri =three; Anga=limb;Mukha=face; eka pada=one foot or leg;pascimottana=posterior extension....
put it all together translated into english and it is still confusing and hard to remember!!!!
Thushara
Posted 2005-04-25 1:41 AM (#22844 - in reply to #22761)

Thnaks guys Im recovering., Ayurveda medicine is good.. But very messy!
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-25 4:32 AM (#22845 - in reply to #22844)

Thushara - 2005-04-26 3:41 PM

Thnaks guys Im recovering., Ayurveda medicine is good.. But very messy!

stained your clothes and bed sheets yet??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)