YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teachers - When did you know
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

twisti
Posted 2005-04-17 4:06 PM (#22192)
Subject: Teachers - When did you know

When did you know you were ready to teach?

I know I am capable but something holds me back (or has held me back in the past.) I feel like I want to know it all before I begin to pass it on..... but if I do that I will never start teaching!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-17 5:57 PM (#22196 - in reply to #22192)
Subject: RE: Teachers - When did you know

Expert Yogi

Hi Twisti,

Well, I'm going to give this a shot and tell you my story and hope this helps. It's not a *Yoga* story, but its my *yoga* story, and a teacher is a teacher, doesn't matter what you teach.

First of all, not everyone is a teacher. You can have all the knowledge in the world, but not be a teacher. Sometimes you watch people get excited over learning something new and different and then they try to teach and it doesn't work out or because they simply were not teachers. Having that said, someone once told me I didn't have what it took to homeschool my child and that I couldn't do it. At that time I accepted that and was okay with it. Like, yea, I don't want to do that and oh, it would be too much work and I would have to give up my life and that free time I had during the day when the kids were at school, just so I could volunteer for organizations that didn't appreciate my efforts and so on. Anyway, after giving it a couple of years thought, fighting with the school systems, paying tons of $$ for private school, life changing events that were taking courses that I never dreamed of...guess what?? I became my daughter's teacher and have been doing it for 4 years now. It was the best thing I ever did for myself and my family..my life. The way it was put in place came at the right exact times when I needed it to happen for me to make my decisions. Now, about knowing it all...that is a joke!! You already know it all, its inside you. How much you want to tap into is your choice - that is my belief. If it is meant to be, it will happen and you will KNOW, it will enfold. Look at Jeansyoga and her recent decision to teach full time now. So, its in your heart. If you really want to be a teacher, and you have students...I think your suppose to teach. I always liked the saying "When the student is ready, the teacher will apppear." I think its the opposite too, "When the teacher is ready, the students will appear".

Posted 2005-04-17 6:03 PM (#22197 - in reply to #22192)

C'mon twisti kristi--while you haven't been around here too long, your website, demeanor, knowledge--who'd make a better teacher than you? I was thinking recently of not going thru with my teacher certification--maybe for the same fuzzy reasons you have. Then I got to thinking, of what benefit would I gain if I did NOT complete the training? Nothing is the answer. It can only make me better and may even help somebody else. So get out there kiddo--make us all proud!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-17 6:43 PM (#22198 - in reply to #22192)

I was very nervous when I started too, it helped a lot that my training involved several "practice teach" sessions where we taught one another and got feedback. The first time, I was TERRIFIED! But right after the first session, I realized that if I had a million dollars, I would teach for free every day - I never had so much fun or fulfillment.

It was still nerve-wracking getting in front of a bunch of new students for the first time. For months, I was a total spaz and typed out every single class beforehand, and kept the pages with me in class!

But, one of my wise teachers advised me not to get too full of myself and remember, it's the yoga that people will get - not me. All you have to do is put them in the poses, and the magic will happen! The fun part is, they will still thank YOU for how great they feel!

Just get up there and tell them what you know, which is PLENTY. You will always be learning more and more, both from your studies and from your personal practice, and your classes will get better and better throughout the years. As a student, you wouldn't expect a 1st year teacher to be as good as a 20-year veteran. But you have to start somewhere! Just share your yoga with a loving heart, and everything will be okay. You will be a GREAT teacher!

In my experience, yoga students are very loving, happy, non-judgemental types - most of the time they're incredibly supportive and kind. Teaching will make you fall in love with the human race all over again. Occasionally, you will get a cranky person or someone who just doesn't like your class; that's natural. Your style will connect with some and not with others, just as you've found with your different teachers throughout the years. And don't get too frightened when someone grimaces all the way through class, often they're the ones concentrating super hard and loving it the most!

Bruce - I didn't know you were doing teacher training! I would LOVE to take one of your classes! Just don't forget that some people LIKE to do savasana at the end!
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-04-17 6:44 PM (#22199 - in reply to #22197)
Subject: RE: Teachers - When did you kn

Twisti, to be quite honest, I've been to your website and I thought you already were a teacher! What with all of the information/ services you provide on a professional basis (unless I read your site wrong ) you think you aren't ready? I think (and this applies to you, too Bruce) that if you are interested in doing a teacher training, then you ought to do it. Even if you never teach proffessionally, you can still use that knowledge in your own practice and in your own life and that can only be good for you.I have a friend who is doing a 200 hour (extremely rigorous) TT, right now. There is a couple taking the TT who have absolutely no intention of teaching or opening a studio... they are only interested in broadening their own practice. Perhaps they might come to think otherwise during the long winters in their remote community, but the point is that they felt they were ready to explore yoga beyond the "normal" class.Hope that helps.MelissaPS, my first teacher became a teacher after 5 yrs practicing and her teacher - the only teacher - moved out of town. She (my teacher's teacher) told my teacher to get her certification because 1) she was ready and 2) people needed her.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-17 6:44 PM (#22201 - in reply to #22192)

Plus, you have a great resource when questions come up about your class: US!

You know we love to share our opinions . . .
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-17 6:49 PM (#22202 - in reply to #22192)

twisti - 2005-04-18 6:06 AM

When did you know you were ready to teach?

I know I am capable but something holds me back (or has held me back in the past.) I feel like I want to know it all before I begin to pass it on..... but if I do that I will never start teaching!

sister girl! you are already a teacher! i have been to your website and i learned plenty! if you can put your wisdom and knowledge down in cyber space, ask yourself what is stopping you from vocalizing it?

one thing that i did - i taught my friends for years before i took it seriously. ask a few friends if you can practice on them! but make sure you treat it like a proper lesson.

my first few classes i was a nervous nelly. but when the class is over, poeple come up to you and thank you and then this wonderful rush comes over you...(helping people does that for me anyway )

twisti
Posted 2005-04-17 7:38 PM (#22203 - in reply to #22192)

Thank you for all the support, encouragement and kind words everyone. Every little sentence that you all shared really touched me....

I taught a series of teen yoga classes in 2003 which I loved. I was very nervous but at the end felt amazing! At the end of the 12 week course I also finally found out how beneficial these girls found my classes and how much they enjoyed my teaching.

Since then I have done 2 teacher trainings and am registered with the Yoga alliance. I was starting to think about doing another 3 week course in August "to refocus". As much as I would love to do this it occured to me that I may just be procrastinating....... I guess that is where the question for this thread came from.

I have been travelling the last 3 years so it has been hard to start teaching seriously (another excuse??) but I am thinking it is time to plant some roots and begin to pass on all the knowledge and lessons I have recieved in my 10 years as a student of Yoga.

I guess it is just about biting the bullet and trusting that I know enough and have the heart to pass this on in the right way.

Oh and YAYAY Brucey!
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-17 8:04 PM (#22207 - in reply to #22196)

Cyndi - 2005-04-17 5:57 PM
...and a teacher is a teacher, doesn't matter what you teach.

Got that right.

(I've been homeschooling for 5 years.)
tourist
Posted 2005-04-17 9:50 PM (#22220 - in reply to #22207)

Expert Yogi

I've always been a teacher. Someone once said that there are some individuals who, once they gain some knowledge, are compelled to share it. And that's how I am. I started teaching friends when they asked, started TT when my teacher found out I was already teaching, and started to teach "officially" when she said I was ready. Simple story! Yes, it is hard at first but the more you teach, the easier it gets. It was VERY helpful to have friends who were willing to be my guinea pigs, so to speak. Having a willing group (who you don't charge any money!) makes it easier to make mistakes without feeling judged.
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-18 12:52 AM (#22231 - in reply to #22192)

Since you are asking the question it seems you already know the answer! But are wise to ask. I think some poeple are naturally teachers. Twisti, I know I would learn a lot from you!

And something off the subject...I was home-schooled! At least for the last 7 years. When I started it wasn't very popular, but now it is really popular. Which is very cool!
Thushara
Posted 2005-04-18 4:12 AM (#22236 - in reply to #22231)

When did you know …???.............................................

Actually I didn’t know.. And I was not ready either…

I had to start it as a part of my TT after the first certification. It was a great opportunity I got and I got lot of courage from the gurus and my loving friends in this forum to go for it.

You have to start teaching at some point if you want to be a teacher! Its an amazing experience., You will be surprised when you find the Love, kindness and patience you have had in you...

Go for it ! All the best for you Twisti !

Only problem here I face is when a person comes to a Yoga class they expect a teacher with grey hair or at least a person over 40s.. (I hope it’s not the case in USA.)
Sometimes they are disappointed when they see a girl as a teacher., They picture a person Like a “Swami” to teach them., not a girl in her pants and a skinny., (I had a situation in my TT class that one parent used to come and wait outside the door when I was teaching her daughter and other students.. I think she had doubts about a person like me teaching her kid. I hated it .It was disturbing me to know that somebody is watching while Im teaching, Still I had no choice.. But it happened only the first 2 days, She must have cleared her doubts after that or she may have found something useful to do instead watching me) When you talk they will find that you know what yoga and yogic culture is.

You can be perfect in poses., But when you teach., you teach people who are different., One persons body is different to another when it comes to flexibility., One person needs to achieve perfection in poses ., while another needs only to do something .. Its challenging to teach everybody equally

Based on my experience teaching pranayama is harder than teaching Physical poses. It may be, coz Im teaching kids.. For adults it might be different I think., I haven’t taught any adults yet. Still I’m a newbie for teaching long way to go… But I’m building confidence to teach my own class soon..

Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-18 8:36 AM (#22245 - in reply to #22207)

Expert Yogi

Sponge Bob Banana,

Too bad you don't live near me...we could have fun teaching our children and practice the Yoga Asana's at the same time.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-18 9:52 AM (#22251 - in reply to #22236)

Expert Yogi

Thushara - it is definitely different in North America. Since many people seem to think yoga is some sort of New Age aerobics, they expect young teachers. My daughter knew a young ashtanga teacher who thought she would have to quit by the time she was 30 or so. Strange how attitudes can be so different! I really expected the youth culture of our continent to change as we baby boomers aged and in some ways it has, but generally we are still a culture obsessed with youth.
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-18 10:50 AM (#22259 - in reply to #22245)

Cyndi - 2005-04-18 8:36 AM
Too bad you don't live near me...we could have fun teaching our children and practice the Yoga Asana's at the same time.

That would rock!

I love when Yoga and Homeschooling mesh ~ like when Math gets tough, and I see my daughter take a nice, couple of deep breaths to clear her head before attempting the next problem.

Today we just discussed the phrase "Check your ego at the door" and how the ego really shaped history. Meg (soon to be 10 years old) is continually amazed by the amount of greed, jelousy and revenge the world has to offer.

Makes for awesome reading though!
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-18 10:56 AM (#22261 - in reply to #22203)

twisti - 2005-04-17 7:38 PM
I taught a series of teen yoga classes in 2003 which I loved. I was very nervous but at the end felt amazing! At the end of the 12 week course I also finally found out how beneficial these girls found my classes and how much they enjoyed my teaching.

Cool!

The Kids and Teen classes are very popular at our studio. My girls are totally enamored with their teachers (Meg wants to be a Yoga teacher now. ), and I can't think of a better role model.

Go for it, Twisti ~ we need you!!!!
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-18 11:26 AM (#22265 - in reply to #22192)

Krist,

I have gotten to know you pretty well over the last few weeks and I want to point out to you that you are too smart for your own darn good!

You've got way more knowledge than you could ever share in a million classes! Don't be greedy start spreading the love.

Someone once pointed out a very interesting fact to me. If you ask 100 people how to lose weight, they would all say pretty much the same thing: diet & exercise (with obvious variations). However, if you ask them if they did any of that stuff most of them would start listing all their excuses: I don't have time, it's too hard, I can't stop drinking soda, I love bread and pasta, etc. Therefore, it's obvious that the problem isn't knowledge. We all have a bunch of diet & exercise books on our shelves. The problem is in application of knowledge. People just put up obstacles in front of themselves and never get down to the doing.

It's in the doing that things happen. ACTION!!! Taking action is what separates the successful from the unemployed and the enlightened from the nosepickers. All that stuff about 1000 mile journeys and single steps applies here.

Physics is important and teaches us about momentum. If you put your body in motion it will stay in motion. If you stay at rest, you will continue to rest. Whatever your reason for not teaching is, is just a lame excuse to keep yourself from really being great! Most of us live in absolute fear of our greatness. It's sad. If we all let our greatness shine, the world would be a better place. Look at Bruce, he's so great he can't even afford to take a savasana. He can't wait to get into action!!!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-18 11:37 AM (#22266 - in reply to #22259)

Expert Yogi

Kabu - 2005-04-18 10:50 AM

That would rock!

I love when Yoga and Homeschooling mesh ~ like when Math gets tough, and I see my daughter take a nice, couple of deep breaths to clear her head before attempting the next problem.

Today we just discussed the phrase "Check your ego at the door" and how the ego really shaped history. Meg (soon to be 10 years old) is continually amazed by the amount of greed, jelousy and revenge the world has to offer.

You have no idea, well you might:~) I think our children are sooo lucky and they know it too! All of my daughter's friends and cousins are so envious of her and they say, your Mom is so cool, I wish we could stay with her - they hate school. There are no teachers at school, the only thing they are learning is how to take tests, memorize, and learning how to dress sexy with makeup - UGH!! I can always tell when my daughter has been talking with her cousin who is a year older (she's 12), this girl is a wild thing and my sister doesn't have a clue. When I tell my sister she looks at me as if I'm crazy and is in complete denial and doesn't even know her child...its very sad. I predict she will be pregnant at age 17.

Anyway, I am so happy to have made my life's decisions and take charge of my life and my family...it is the greatest thing. I think all parents are teachers - that is our true responsibility. Some people say to me, you should teach a Tai Chi Qi Gong or Yoga Class, or help people with nutrition and teach what you know to others. I used to want that more than anything, now I just want to pass it down to my children, I felt I needed to teach my children first. I may later do the other, but right now this is most important because they are the next generation and God knows something needs to happen or else we are all doomed. If I ever become a teacher outside my home, I will teach children, not adults. I wish Yoga could be taught in the schools, that would be so wonderful. Right now we do a weekly dance class. The dance instructor blends some Yoga into the warm ups before class which is really good. They don't know that it is Yoga and they do it soo well.
MrD
Posted 2005-04-18 12:06 PM (#22270 - in reply to #22192)

In this case Twisti, there is no try, there is only do.

Apologies to Yoda.

The peoply I know who have your training, all own studios. Your pictures of yoga poses show you're more than capable.

I'm sure you'll be an amazing teacher.

Edited by MrD 2005-04-18 12:09 PM
twisti
Posted 2005-04-18 12:14 PM (#22272 - in reply to #22192)

Thanks so much Kabu, YogaGuy and MrD..... thanks for installing a little but more faith in myself

Well I am in the process of planning my ticket back to NZ, I have been looking for studio space already.... once I am there NO MORE EXCUSES.

No more trying only doing (right MrD)
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-18 12:14 PM (#22273 - in reply to #22270)

Expert Yogi

MrD - 2005-04-18 12:06 PM

Apologies to Yoda.

Cyndi wants know why Mr. D is apologizing to her dog Yoda???
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-18 12:35 PM (#22277 - in reply to #22266)

Cyndi - 2005-04-18 11:37 AM
I think all parents are teachers - that is our true responsibility.

A new HSing Mom once asked how we handle the transition from parent to teacher. I told her HSing is really an extension of parenthood, so there is no big transition. It comes naturally.

Some middle and high schools are offering Yoga as a P.E. elective, and they're seeing great results! I believe Seattle is one area that has really embraced the idea.

It isn't catching on as much here in the Midwest...yet. I'm working on it though. I've been drumming up support for our studio's Kids and Family classes.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-18 6:47 PM (#22322 - in reply to #22272)

Expert Yogi

Kristi - I have always been told that it is an obligation of a yoga student to eventually teach what they know. Not teaching when you are able to do so is aparigraha/hoarding. Good for you getting going on this!
Thushara
Posted 2005-04-18 10:45 PM (#22339 - in reply to #22265)

YogaGuy - 2005-04-19 10:26 PM

Physics is important and teaches us about momentum. If you put your body in motion it will stay in motion. If you stay at rest, you will continue to rest. Whatever your reason for not teaching is, is just a lame excuse to keep yourself from really being great! Most of us live in absolute fear of our greatness. It's sad. If we all let our greatness shine, the world would be a better place. Look at Bruce, he's so great he can't even afford to take a savasana. He can't wait to get into action!!!

WOOOOW What an advise !!! I love this part of your post !

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)