YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yelling yoga teachers
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

leajoye
Posted 2005-04-17 4:24 PM (#22193)
Subject: Yelling yoga teachers

I go to yoga at my gym, and I suspect that a couple of the instructors are former aerobics instructors. They are very loud. Like, airplane taking off loud. Like, make me flinch and have an adrenaline rush loud. Like, I'm partially deaf in one ear anyway, and I wear 33 decibel safety earplugs during class and their voices are still scary loud. Is this OK? My attitude is like: yoga is not about adrenaline, it is about relaxation. Yoga is not about me focusing on your voice, it is about me focusing on my breath. If I can't HEAR my breath over your voice, that's a problem. Has anyone else encountered this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-17 5:16 PM (#22194 - in reply to #22193)
Subject: RE: Yelling yoga teachers

Welcome Le'a,
I'm practicing at a gym too and 2 of my teachers there are more into the yogaerobic thing, not caring much about proper alignment and breathing and ignoring lots of the yogic stuff, but yelling, no! One of my teachers (a real yogi btw) sometimes has to remind people in a little louder then usual manner not to turn their heads in shoulderstand. But that's pretty much it. Those boneheads had it coming, didn't they?
tourist
Posted 2005-04-17 9:55 PM (#22221 - in reply to #22193)

Expert Yogi

Yikes! You could try telling them that your earplugs are hearing aids and it makes feedback when they are too loud I raise my voice for emphasis and when students are upside down (because the brain gets a bit foggy then) but otherwise, except when a jet actually does take off (our studio is pretty close to a flight path ) I just try to be sure everyone hears.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-18 9:50 AM (#22250 - in reply to #22193)

I teach at a couple of gyms and there is usually a lot more noise in general from the spin classes, weights being dropped and general chatter of people. Therefore, I have to talk louder. Sometimes my music changes volume from song to song, so I'll find myself suddenly drowned out. I'll have to talk loud until I make my way over to the stereo to adjust. Also the rooms are bigger and since there are more beginners spread throughout the room, I have to make sure I'm heard across the room. Do I yell? No, I don't think so. But I talk loudly.

Sometimes I want to yell when I have to tell the same person repeatedly which is their right hand and which is their left hand.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-18 10:03 AM (#22252 - in reply to #22250)

Expert Yogi

YogaGuy - 2005-04-18 6:50 AM
Sometimes I want to yell when I have to tell the same person repeatedly which is their right hand and which is their left hand.

Almost everyone does the right/left mix up from time to time, don't they? I especially love it when they are looking around as if the rest of the class is wrong and they are the only ones doing it right. I have done it myself both as student and teacher! I usually tell the person, "use your other right hand this time."

I did have one student who was obviously intelligent, a professional of some sort, who just plain had a processing problem. If I said up, she moved down, if I said left, she moved right. It was very frustrating for her and not the same as the people who simply have no body awareness. I always wonder if she'll show up in class again some day or if it was just too much for her to learn in a group setting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)