YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Toning up
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-18 2:11 PM (#22286)
Subject: Toning up

Namaste everyone!

I have a specific situation right now. I want to tone up my muscles, but Ashtanga isn't really the best for me because i have SI joint dysfunction and i can't do forward bends or hard core twists. I need to do more backbends.

I really wanted to tone up through some sort of yoga, but right now i just do beginners/continuing Kripalu type yoga.

I go once a week to class, and do it 2x a week on my own usually.

I don't know much about power yoga but i don't want to be engulfed in a HOT room. I don't want bikram. I just want to tone my body, i'm already a healthy weight, and getting stronger each time i do yoga.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-18 2:35 PM (#22288 - in reply to #22286)
Subject: RE: Toning up

Does your yoga teacher know about your SI situation? If so, he/she could suggest some alternate ways of doing the poses that are uncomfortable for you.

For instance, for my students who have back pain, I ask them to always keep their backs straight and flat during forward bends. This way, you still get the benefits of stretching the hips and hamstrings, without straining the back. On the floor, the forward bending is hardly discernable from sitting up straight - as long as you feel it in your hamstrings, that's okay! From standing, you may want to come halfway down and place your hands against the wall or rest them onto a chair, always keeping your abdominals engaged to protect the vulnerable SI joint.

As for twists, avoid the deep versions and do what is comfortable for you. As an alternative, instead of beginning from the tailbone and twisting all the way up to the top of the head, try visualizing the twist beginning from your skull and working its way down. As soon as you feel discomfort in your lower back, STOP! That way, you can still get the benefits of wringing out your abdominal organs and stretching your shoulders.

"Power" yoga does not necessarily mean a hot room, it is more generally associated with ashtanga than with Bikram or other hot styles of yoga. Depending on the teacher, it could even be a vinyasa flow class.

Whatever method you decide, try to keep an open mind about all the poses, even the ones that aren't right for you right now. Yoga is all about balance! There are ways to modify just about everything so that you can build a practice that not only tones your body, but begins to heal your condition.
pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-20 12:02 PM (#22445 - in reply to #22286)

when i do forward bends, i either bend my knees A LOT and touch my full hands to the floor or just do "trini" and keep my back straight.

But, i am just very worried about doing forward bending at all, because it does cause me pain, usually then but sometimes more later.

I am trying to find balance and keep an open mind, but i'm very aware of my body and i don't push it too hard.

I felt pretty much fine when i did Ashtanga beginner class. But, i wasn't sure if it would be ok or good for me to do once per week.

Do you think if i modify and listen to my body, i could reap the benefits of not only feeling great but getting my body more toned?
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-20 12:05 PM (#22446 - in reply to #22286)

Try inner spiraling your thighs and tucking your tailbone like it's your job. Go to a good anusara class.

JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-08-27 4:27 PM (#30455 - in reply to #22286)

Sorry.....
The things you say you cant do you cant do because your not doing them right.
In yoga be do not bend we actively extend and hinge. When doing a forward or back "bend" hinge from your hips and extend though the spine decreasing the angle between the torso and upper legs.
When doing twists try elevating upward before trying to revolve the spine and torso.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-04 3:18 PM (#30959 - in reply to #22286)

I don't think she was asking to be critiqued on how she does or doesn't do "bends" or other asanas.
What I suggest for you is another type of yoga, to begin with. Try something restorative or a flow yoga that isn't as intense as Ashtanga. You're not a yoga failure if you don't do Ashtanga. You can move onto it later as you become more proficient with the asanas, if you wish.
You may want to add some training with weights to reach your fitness goals faster. You will be able to eliminate the weight training later, if you want, as yoga will help you maintain and increase your fitness level by itself.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-04 3:19 PM (#30960 - in reply to #22286)

Whoa!!! That was from last April!!! Well, hopefully you have it figured out by now.
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-04 9:02 PM (#30985 - in reply to #22286)

Yeah I guess its a good thing to check the dates. Some of these yoga newbies may be more practiced then the rest.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)