YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Savasana Help!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

LadybugWDYS
Posted 2005-04-20 1:39 AM (#22408)
Subject: Savasana Help!

I'm a college student who thought I'd take yoga for an easy PE credit. Boy, was I wrong! Not only is yoga not easy, I've found that I really love it...

But, love it or not, I have a final to prepare for - it is a college credit course after all. As our "final exam" each member in the class has to instruct different postures for the rest of class. I very much wanted to instruct prenatal posture, but alas, I didn't get selected for that one. I am responsible for instructing final relaxation.

When our instructor leads us, I find savasana to be wonderfully relaxing and a very intimate time with myself. I'm worried for my fellow classmates that, when I lead it, I'll trip up on my words and their experience won't be as fulfilling.

So here's my real question: What words do your instructors say to you during savasana? Mine usually leads us in "the bottoms of the feet are relaxing, the bottoms of the feet are completely relaxed, the ankles are relaxing..." and so on and so forth, but I'd like to not just copy what she's said. I'd like to do it a little differently.

I'd really appreciate some advice on other people's experiences and what they found soothing. Thanks a lot in advance. And remember: you're helping to secure my A...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
loli
Posted 2005-04-20 3:04 AM (#22409 - in reply to #22408)
Subject: RE: Savasana Help!

Hello Ladybug,
Before I started teaching I found the thought of teaching Savasana really daunting too, but I have settled into it now and don't worry about 'messing up' anymore.....I do a similar thing with working from the feet up, tensing and relaxing and then bringing awareness to the breath. I always remind people to relax their jaw and their tongue, let tension slide away from thier foreheads etc....Moving onto the breath it is nice to get them to breathe in to a count of 4 and out to 4, then gradually extend the exhalation to 6 etc. I also do a visualisation of breathing in 'bright white light', inhaling through the crown of the head and exhaling through the soles of the feet, cleansing the body of any tension, negativity etc. This seems to work for most people, thankfully. Good luck with your exam!

Posted 2005-04-20 6:52 AM (#22414 - in reply to #22409)

You're such a lucky duck because I freaking hate savasana so I've been analyzing the various methodologies of "teaching" this pose and offer this: read a calming, short transitional passage then shut up.
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-20 9:12 AM (#22420 - in reply to #22408)

What a fun way to test the class! If you want to trade finals, you can finish up my interior design project (only if you get an A ) and I'll take your svasana!

Seriously, though - you'll be fine! You've absorbed more than you think you have throughout the semester, and once you get over the hurdle of doing it, you'll be great. The best part is that unlike a speech nobody will be watching you!!! No 30 pairs of eyes watching your every move!

The tips that have been posted up here are great. I've had teachers do both, and I like both. The good thing about svasana is that you don't want to talk too much. Going through the body parts and relaxing them is great, or like Bruce said, you can read a short passage and let the students take it from there...The best teachers are like Glenda the Good Witch from the Wizard of Oz - they take you to the yellow brick road, and then let you follow it.

Posted 2005-04-20 9:31 AM (#22421 - in reply to #22420)

"Just follow the yellow brick road of savasana--and if your teachers keep babbling, ringing chimes or burning incense, tell them You have no power here! Now begone, before somebody drops a house on you!"
tourist
Posted 2005-04-20 9:59 AM (#22422 - in reply to #22420)

Expert Yogi

OK, first of all, its "Glinda" the good witch, not "Glenda" (that would be moi).

I think getting your class lying down and saying a short, inspiration passage would be great but probably not earn you a terrific mark. Does your teacher do much in the way of instructing HOW to lie down? It is important to be sure everyone is in a position to really let go so tailbones must be tucked in, heads level, shoulders un-hunched etc. Once that is done give a few breaths of silence then begin to give slow, evenly paced, very direct instructions on letting the various body parts relax. In your example, you said the feet "are relaxing" and I would be more inclined to say "relax the feet." Not only is it more direct and the brain absorbs it as a command, not a suggestion, but if someone like Bruce is lying there he will be internally thinking his d*mn feet aren't relaxing and that would make him more miserable than he already is You don't have to talk in metaphors like "melting into the floor" and be VERY careful with any visualisarion because one person's "happy place" thinking about floating in the sea or in the clouds is another person's worst nightmare. I know someone who gets queasy the minute the ocean is mentioned.

Generally I work from the feet up and from the back of the body to the front so that the face is last and can have special emphasis. Hips and shoulders are both tight spots for many but they are heavy areas so you can focus on those sinking into the floor with their own weight which helps everything else relax. Then your quote or poem, then a few moments of silence and come out. Have people keep their eyes shut as they roll over, keep them on their side for a couple of breaths then encourage them to carry the relaxation of savasana into the rest of their day.

So where are you located? There aren't many places that offer yoga as a credit course!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-20 10:20 AM (#22428 - in reply to #22408)

I have to agree with you on being careful not to be real specific about the visualization (i.e. ocean). Some people have fear of drowning. Others, the instant you say "garden" they start sneezing.

What I did for my "final" (this was my TT, though, not college - they're pretty forgiving) was to ask people to picture the most beautiful place they could imagine, someplace that only they knew about. This way it avoids any phobias and doesn't stray from anyone's personal fantasy(!). Then I asked them to look around, taking time to fill in all the details. How does the air feel against your skin, how does it smell, how does the sky look above you, etc. Then when I get to "how does the earth feel beneath your body" I start to get into the "relax your feet" segment. After I make it up to the top of the head, I shut up for at least 2-3 minutes unless they are really restless.

You may also be graded on how you bring them out of savasana. A lot of teachers ask you to bring your attention back to your breath (after 2-3 minutes, a lot of students are planning their grocery lists or thinking about the Guinness that awaits after class). Then start to move the toes & feet, fingers & hands, finally stretching the whole body. It's real important to have them roll onto their side at the end, then use both hands to push back up to a seated position. You can really hurt your back trying to sit bolt upright directly from savasana!

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be great! We were all nervous before our first class - I wrote out EVERYTHING, word for word, and read it directly off the piece of paper in my quivering hands! Now I can get a much better bead on what to say from the energy of the class at the time - whether they need a long quiet rest, or if they're very restless and will pop right off the mat the second I stop talking. Plus, sometimes I have to compete with a noisy gym right outside the door. That makes a difference in the style of savasana too.

Good luck, and don't worry - it will be fine! Let us know what you decide to do!
CGG
Posted 2005-04-20 10:23 AM (#22431 - in reply to #22414)

Bruce - 2005-04-20 6:52 AM

You're such a lucky duck because I freaking hate savasana so I've been analyzing the various methodologies of "teaching" this pose and offer this: read a calming, short transitional passage then shut up.

I tend to agree. Part of improving my Savasana has been learning to tune the voice of the teacher out completely. Some people can get quite chatty.
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-20 11:45 AM (#22439 - in reply to #22408)

I can only speak from a student's point of view but here's what I love:

My teacher likes to concentrate on the hips and shoulders/neck during the "body scan" (for lack of a better term). I swear, the more she says "Drop your hips open," the more my hips actually open. She says, "Feel your shoulder sink into the floor," and there I am...sinking. I think these are areas where most people tighten up, so it's nice to concentrate on them.

She also does what Bruce suggested. She recites a short passage and then remains quiet. Here's the part I really like:

"Breathing in, I calm my body.
Breathing out, I calm my mind."

She'll say that slowly and deliberately throughout the body scan too. So she'll start with the feet, move on through the ankles and thighs, *then* she'll slip in "Breathing in, I calm my body..." part. It works really well.

At the end of the body scan and right before she slips into silence, she says it again and adds:

"May I be balanced.
May I be at peace."

Sometimes she recites a little more, but this is my favorite part. Good luck!
pinupyogi
Posted 2005-04-20 11:54 AM (#22441 - in reply to #22408)

I actually really loved one teachers approach to guided imagery. I thought the "stories" about waterfalls with stars, or grassy fields were wonderful. Maybe you could ask the class if they have a fear of: for example, water, and if so do a different imagery.

I think imagerys can be very very helpful in relaxation.

If not an imagery, i think a poem or a relaxing, empowering passage is great. I just don't like when it deals with a certain belief system, because not everyone is going to necessarily agree. For example: a passage that speaks of buddha, or whatever.......

*i also think it is VERY important to tell your class they are allowed to get into whatever position is comfortable for THEM. sometimes teachers ONLY really want you to do corpse pose, and i have a back issue that makes that pose painful for me, so sometimes i have to lay on my stomach. Just another thought*

Cheers!
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-20 12:40 PM (#22449 - in reply to #22408)

I personally am not a big fan of imagery either - other than a generic "imagine the most perfect place for you right now". More than that and I tend to get distracted trying to focus on conjuring up what the instructor is talking about and picture that rather than really just being there. When the imagery comes from myself I don't really have to try.

With regards to asking the class if they have any specific imagery that they would like to avoid I think you will find that nobody will answer! Unless you're a smallish group and know each other fairly well, I think most people would prefer to not be the one to rock a boat...It can be awkward to be the one person in a class asking not to focus on a sunny meadow when there are "supposed" to be positive associations...

Passages dealing with specific religious or spiritual imagery can also pose a problem - that's a good point, Pinup. It shoudl be relatively easy to find one that doesn't, or, if you find one that is amazing but does contain a reference to a specific religous figure, you might be able to tell them they can substitute the divine being of their choice.

I liked the part about varying positions too! Sometimes something gets stretched or tweaked or it just plain doesn't feel good to lie in corpse....

And Glenda, I think you might be the good witch of the board!
You always have such wise words for us!
tigrsunam
Posted 2005-04-20 1:23 PM (#22451 - in reply to #22408)

Most of my teachers just put on some relaxing music and let us drift away. However, a couple times I've been told stories about what yoga is, stories about Guruji, etc. Obviously it would be annoying if I heard those in every class, but it was a nice touch especially when I was a newbie and just starting to get interested in what yoga was all about.

MrD
Posted 2005-04-20 1:57 PM (#22452 - in reply to #22408)

Your teacher is using a guided meditation in relaxation pose. This is used more often in classes in a gym were the noise level is higher.

My teachers usually read a quote from one of the yoga Masters like Eric Schiffman, Beryl Bender Birch or Baron Baptiste. It's a good time to hear that. Eric Shiffman's Moving into Stillness discusses Savassana extensively.

One teacher does something interesting. She asks us to inhale and exhale without a break. I'ts funny because the breath cycle is inhale, stop, exhale, stop. Just eliminating the stops increases relaxation.

You've gotton some good advice.

Edited by MrD 2005-04-20 2:01 PM
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-20 2:31 PM (#22453 - in reply to #22408)

I know I was not the one who originally posted the question, but I am LOVING all these suggestions! I'm going to try the continous breath one in class tonight!!

MrD
Posted 2005-04-20 3:16 PM (#22459 - in reply to #22453)

jeansyoga - 2005-04-20 2:31 PM

I know I was not the one who originally posted the question, but I am LOVING all these suggestions! I'm going to try the continous breath one in class tonight!!

Let us know how it goes.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-20 6:37 PM (#22467 - in reply to #22449)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Lora Another thing about images and visualizations. Bear in mind that this is an Iyengar perspective and not everyone agrees with this: visualization is going into your head and then going where your mind takes you. To fully experience and utilize the deep relaxation of savasana you have to be IN your body. I think of it like a vacation - it is wonderful and nice and pretty but does it help when you get back home to the same old sh*t? Learning to relax the way you do when you are on vacation while still participating in everyday life would be ever so much more useful.
sideshow
Posted 2005-04-20 8:48 PM (#22473 - in reply to #22408)

Here is what i do for my home practice while in savasana-

I lie there and take some breaths and relax my body trying to pay attention to any "tight" spots. Then I will take a breath and envision a ball of light, white ball of energy ( whatever ) forming, with every inhalation the ball expands and with every exhalation any negative energy or sorness is expelled ( usually i try to do this through my feet ) this is a fairly general cleansing, then if there are some tight spots i focus the ball around that area and inhale the healing/positive energy and with the exhale expunge the negative energy. Its kinda lame but it keeps me from falling asleep and helps me relax out of the stretching I just did.

Note: sometimes as im envisioning the ball "forming" Its like the white light or energy is going out through all my limbs and such to my fingers and toes ( kinda like a ball of plasm ) and pushing the negativity out as it draws back and expands.

Other times I just kinda move the ball around like down one leg to my toes and back up and through my arms to my fingers etc...

Hopefully that helps.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-20 8:57 PM (#22474 - in reply to #22408)

Some of my teachers are using a very hands-on method to get us into relaxation. After carefully directing everybody into the right position (chin slightly tucked in, feet outwards, palms up), we're doing some breathing and then relaxation from the feet up. In order to reach deeper relaxation we first tense all the involved muscles (breathing in) and then relax them (breathing out). Toes, arches, calves, thighs, followed by the other leg. Then we go to the arms, also beginning with making fists, relax (watch their fingers, they're a good indicator), tensioning lower arms, upper arms, shoulders. Then tension and relax the whole upper body. You may suggest to lift the whole upper body 1" off the ground, by trying to put the shoulderblades together. The last part is the head, first roll slowly to one side, exhaling, then back to center, inhaling. Repeat a few times until the head is centered and the neck is relaxed. Then, during inhale, try to pull all your facial muscles up the the tip of the nose, exhale and relax. Or just let them make funny faces. Then try to reach the tip of your nose with your tongue, after that try to bring it down to the chin. All tensioning happens inhaling, relaxing by exhaling.
Speak slowly but articulate and during the tension phases you can even cheer them on a little. One of my teachers, she's always shouting like "tense tense tense!" That way the class knows how long they have to inhale and tense, before they can start melting away.
That procedure will take a while and a good portion of the savasana is already done.
After that just let them lay down in peace and quiet and shut up for a while.
Towards the end let them slowly come back by wiggling the toes and touching the fingertips with the thumbs. Then have them pull their tighs up to the chest and roll over onto the right side. Have them slowly come into a sitting position and start the final prayer/om/shanti or whatever you do.
I like savasana like that because I don't have to imagine silly things like floating in the ocean, or breathing in silvery moonlight and exhale golden sunlight and stuff like that. Also it's easier for beginners to acknowledge savasana as a real asana and relaxation as a conscious practice. Maybe even Bruce wouldn't find savasana so dreadful then.
Most important: Don't forget to dim the lights before savasana!
LadybugWDYS
Posted 2005-04-20 9:00 PM (#22475 - in reply to #22408)

Thanks so much for the help, everyone!

I'm located in Northern Virginia (we capitalize it because Northern Virginia is SOOOOO different from southern virginia). I take yoga for a PE credit at Northern Virginia Community College's Annandale campus. NVCC is the second largest community college in the nation, and is very well run. It offers a lot to its students. Our yoga instructor teaches classes in DC as well at a private studio. All in all, with her DC students and her two classes at NVCC, she has over 300 students and remembers almost all of us by name.

My first class I couldn't stop figeting during savasana. Now, it's one of my favorite parts of the class. I'm sure, after all the adivce I've gotton here (my printer is doing overtime so I can review and highlight on paper some of your great ideas), my final will work out well. Think good thoughts for Tuesday, April 26!

Thank you again for all the wisdom I've been blessed with here.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-20 10:00 PM (#22481 - in reply to #22475)

Expert Yogi

Are you saying that people from Blue States can go to Northern Virginia
without being lynched, the way they might be in Red States?

I'm a liberal democrat. I'd vote for Hillary if she ran for President. I dislike
the W person. And I support gay marriage. So, am I safe in Northern VA?

LadybugWDYS
Posted 2005-04-21 12:04 AM (#22490 - in reply to #22408)

Yea, Bay. You and I are on the same page. Northern VA is, sadly, painted with same brush as the southerners. Too bad they won't make us our own state, but I guess having a Virginia, a West Virginia, and a North Virginia would be a little much.

No lynchings around here, and I'm not saying southern VAers are bad or anything (I mean, hell, my whole family lives down there), but we're just far more liberal up here. Did you see last April 25th, the March for Women's Lives? It was THE LARGEST ASSEMBLY/PROTEST EVER. And yes, a lot of supporters bussed in from around the country to be there, but a lot of us were from right around here, NorVA.

Yea! Elect Hilary!

Posted 2005-04-21 6:52 AM (#22496 - in reply to #22490)

Elect Hilary for what? Forgive them George for they know not what they do.
LadybugWDYS
Posted 2005-04-21 9:32 AM (#22508 - in reply to #22408)

I don't think America necessarily needs a woman for president. Any president, woman or man, who represents the interests of women will do just fine.

But a woman for president would be nice. The nation owes it to itself for electing Dubbya not once but twice. Take it from the man himself:

"There's an old saying in Tenessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tenessee - that says, fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

Well, apparently America didn't get that memo in November 2004.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-21 9:38 AM (#22510 - in reply to #22408)

Wow, a bunch of savasana-loving Dubya-haters - Bruce, this is just not your forum, is it?

Just wanted to say I tried out that "continuous breath" savasana technique on a class last night and they SUPERLOVED it!!! After grimacing and sweating through the whole rest of the class, more than half of them came up to me afterward and told me they were sooo relaxed and they needed that so badly. Awesome! It made my day!

Thanks for the tips, expert yogis & yoginis!
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-21 9:42 AM (#22511 - in reply to #22496)

Bruce - 2005-04-21 6:52 AM
Elect Hilary for what? Forgive them George for they know not what they do.

The thought of Hillary in the Oval Office (again) gives me chest pain.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)