YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

viniyoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-04-20 2:35 PM (#22455)
Subject: viniyoga

Anybody have any opinions of viniyoga? I just moved and there is a studio a few blocks aay who teaches viniyoga.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-20 3:25 PM (#22460 - in reply to #22455)
Subject: RE: viniyoga

Isn't that the one that's associated with Gary Kraftsow? If so, I would be very excited to check it out! If it is the system I'm thinking of, it's very geared toward yoga therapy. Sweet!
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-20 4:02 PM (#22462 - in reply to #22455)

If memory serves:

Viniyoga is a system developed by Desikachar. Desikachar, BKS Iyengar and Pattabhi Jois (ashtanga) all studied with Krishnamacharya. They are the 3 big branches of modern yoga.

The vini system is much more individualized. Preferring one on one teaching as opposed to classes. It is geared towards finding the yoga that is right for you. I have had very limited exposure to it (one workshop with Mark Whitwell--longtime student of Desikachar), but found it to be a very relaxing form of yoga. Very breath oriented and very easy. Lots of very small sequences linked together with the breath. For example a classic vini move is laying on your back and inhaling up to bridge pose and taking the arms along side your ears, then exhaling and lowering the hips to the floor and arms by the sides. Repeating several times.

Occassionally I throw in a couple of the sequences into my classes. They are appropriate when people aren't linking their breath to their movements. They drive the point home.

It is not my particular cup of chai, but I think it is worth exploring if for no other reason than because it's new and in your neighborhood and you might love it.

Edited by YogaGuy 2005-04-20 4:04 PM
afroyogi
Posted 2005-04-20 8:19 PM (#22470 - in reply to #22462)

YogaGuy - 2005-04-21 10:02 PM
For example a classic vini move is laying on your back and inhaling up to bridge pose and taking the arms along side your ears, then exhaling and lowering the hips to the floor and arms by the sides. Repeating several times.

... vertebra by vertebra! That's important. Hey, we do that in Iyengar too.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-21 1:03 PM (#22551 - in reply to #22455)

Thanks, afroyogi! Excellent point.

Yes, well as I said the lineage is the same soooo...you'll see some overlap.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)