YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Private instruction from home
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

anniem
Posted 2005-04-21 3:02 AM (#22493)
Subject: Private instruction from home

Hi, I am a new member and was hoping I could get some help. I recently became certified to teach basic hatha yoga, my certification lasts 2 years and I will be doing continuing ed as well. I have applied to a few schools, and put an ad up so I can do privates from my home. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on teaching from my home. Should I get insurance? Or have them fill out a waiver before we start, I have already had some inquiries, but I want to do it right. Any help would be appreciated - thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-21 8:28 AM (#22500 - in reply to #22493)
Subject: RE: Private instruction from home

Yes, you should ALWAYS carry a personal liability policy when you are teaching, whether from your home or not. But, I would think, especially when allowing strangers into your house. You never know if some dishonest person may come in and think "This is a nice house! I will tell my lawyer that her yoga hurt my back, then it will be MY house!"

There are a couple of major insurers for yoga (& fitness) instructors, one of the most popular is Fitness and Wellness. You can usually get a discounted rate if you join a teachers association, such as Namasta, CYTA, Kripalu, Himalayan Institute, etc. Membership in these associations also generally include discounts on yoga supplies and continuing education, sometimes even a magazine subscription. CYTA (www.yogateachersassoc.org) owns Yoga Journal and the Himalayan Institute (www.himalayaninstitute.org) owns Yoga International, so I belong to both!

I wound up purchasing the insurance through the CYTA membership, and the premium is $180/year (which is not bad considering one student's injury could cause bankruptcy) plus the membership dues of $55. Depending upon where you were trained, you may also be able to get additional discounts through any professional associations your school may have.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-21 8:30 AM (#22501 - in reply to #22493)
Subject: RE: Private instruction from home

P.S. A waiver is also a good idea. You want to have insurance, but you don't want to USE it!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-21 9:01 AM (#22504 - in reply to #22493)
Subject: RE: Private instruction from h

Dear Anniem:

I have one important question for you. I request you to answer.

1. Where did you get your certificate from?

2. Why does your certificate allow you to teach only 2 years?

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)