YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga in Santa Monica/Venice CA
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

twisti
Posted 2005-04-22 5:25 AM (#22648)
Subject: Yoga in Santa Monica/Venice CA

I am going to be in town for 2 weeks and thought I would suss out the Yoga scene there..... at the mo I am looking at Yoga Works, so many classes!!!!

Anyone have any comments or recommendations for a good advanced teacher?

Edited by twisti 2005-04-22 5:25 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-22 10:05 AM (#22656 - in reply to #22648)
Subject: RE: Yoga in Santa Monica/Venice CA

I know Bryan Kest is in Santa Monica.

I hope some day to participate in an advanced class of his. You have to go so I can live vicariously through you.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-22 10:08 AM (#22657 - in reply to #22648)

http://www.williamduprey.com/

Awesome teacher. Friend of mine. We did a little training together. He's a prodigy.

Check him out.

// Keep hitting the refresh button on your browser to see more pics of him.

Edited by YogaGuy 2005-04-22 10:14 AM
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-04-22 10:14 AM (#22658 - in reply to #22656)
Subject: RE: Yoga in Santa Monica/Venic

If I was going to Santa Monica I would camp out on the doorstep of Bryan Kest's studio.I have taken 2 live classes with him and have all of his classes on CD as well as several of his videos. The first class I took with him absolutely changed my life. The second one almost ended it, but I still enjoyed it.His website is www.poweryoga.com - definitely worth checking out - check Bryan's schedule to see if he's going to be there when you are in town. There are a couple of other teachers who work for him who have pretty good reputations Ana and Rudy. I'd take classes with them, too.I'm so jealous, Twisti! I asked DH to send me to BK's retreat in Tuscany for my Bday,but alas dh wasn't having any of that! tsk...I secretly long to go to his (bk) TT in Mexico this summer. I'd get my butt kicked but I'd die happy!Melissa
twisti
Posted 2005-04-22 12:07 PM (#22672 - in reply to #22648)

Excellent! Thanks guys... will do some research and let you know what is in store for me
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-22 8:33 PM (#22724 - in reply to #22657)

YogaGuy - 2005-04-23 12:08 AM

http://www.williamduprey.com/

Awesome teacher. Friend of mine. We did a little training together. He's a prodigy.

Check him out.

// Keep hitting the refresh button on your browser to see more pics of him.

beautiful site and pics. now i have one MORE person to add to my list of people i would like to study with!!!!

twisti kristi - i am jealous too you little globe hopper! have fun
twisti
Posted 2005-04-22 10:39 PM (#22731 - in reply to #22648)

Just got an email response from Will too, seems like a top guy.

Just Yoga, not all the extra "American" stuff that seems to surround it these days!

YAY so excited!!!
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-23 5:46 PM (#22760 - in reply to #22648)

Check out Sacred Movement if you get a chance. I was out there for a minute several months ago, and made it to a class there and was really happy. It's always fun to study with new teachers, even just for one class, and this time was no different. I think the teacher's name was Phoebe - I didn't purposely target her class, it was the only one that worked into my schedule, but I really enjoyed it.

Have fun!!!! It's soo nice out there...about an hour after I got there I was completely mellow (says a lot for this high-strung midwesterner with the heart of a new yorker)
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-23 7:11 PM (#22762 - in reply to #22648)

Sacred movement is supposed to be awesome. You have Shiva Rea, Erich Schiffman and Max Stromm and a bunch of other great teachers. I'm definitely going to check it out when I go out west next time.

Keith
twisti
Posted 2005-04-23 10:45 PM (#22776 - in reply to #22760)

LoraB - 2005-04-23 5:46 PM

Check out Sacred Movement if you get a chance. I was out there for a minute several months ago, and made it to a class there and was really happy. It's always fun to study with new teachers, even just for one class, and this time was no different. I think the teacher's name was Phoebe - I didn't purposely target her class, it was the only one that worked into my schedule, but I really enjoyed it.

Have fun!!!! It's soo nice out there...about an hour after I got there I was completely mellow (says a lot for this high-strung midwesterner with the heart of a new yorker)

PERFECT!!! Nice and close with GREAT times and excellent teachers!!!!!

Thanks LoraB
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-04-24 2:50 PM (#22821 - in reply to #22776)

Twisti - if you go onto the Moving into Stillness board on www.ezboard.com, there's a whole community of Erich Schiffman devotees. Some of the members go to his classes - you might be able to do a real life meet up!Melissa
MrD
Posted 2005-04-25 1:03 PM (#22871 - in reply to #22731)

twisti - 2005-04-22 10:39 PM

Just got an email response from Will too, seems like a top guy.

Just Yoga, not all the extra "American" stuff that seems to surround it these days!

YAY so excited!!!

Got me curious, What's the extra American Stuff?
twisti
Posted 2005-04-25 3:31 PM (#22875 - in reply to #22648)

It is very commericial these days, more so over here in North America than I have seen in Australia or New Zealand.... Money money money and bigger is better etc. Just my impression... and I am sure not all studios are like that.

While we are at it any body now on good teachers in Long Beach, still trying to figure out my exact final location in the area will be!
Gracie
Posted 2005-04-25 3:45 PM (#22876 - in reply to #22648)

Yoga Works has so much to choose from, and I think there are a few studios in LA. If you need any recommendations for resturants, site seeing, etc., let me know. I used to live in Santa Monica/Brentwood, and love it there.
MrD
Posted 2005-04-25 6:39 PM (#22878 - in reply to #22875)

twisti - 2005-04-25 3:31 PM

It is very commericial these days, more so over here in North America than I have seen in Australia or New Zealand.... Money money money and bigger is better etc. Just my impression... and I am sure not all studios are like that.

While we are at it any body now on good teachers in Long Beach, still trying to figure out my exact final location in the area will be!

While I won't disagree with you in the slightest on over commercialization, Yoga Works being one of them based on my Yoga Journal Article, I certainly wouldn't let it deter me from visiting superior teachers like Seane Corn. See Itchy Tummy's comments on her in the Yoga Workshop Section.
twisti
Posted 2005-04-25 7:10 PM (#22879 - in reply to #22648)

This is true Mr D.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)