YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga paws?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

osujen25
Posted 2005-04-22 4:17 PM (#22694)
Subject: yoga paws?

anyone see or try those yoga paws (grippers for hands and feet) look like they would help with my sliping problem. thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-04-22 4:28 PM (#22695 - in reply to #22694)
Subject: RE: yoga paws?

I've seen them and have really thought about trying them but it just doesn't seem pure--I rebel against traditional yoga enough as it is and that might be over the top.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-22 5:04 PM (#22698 - in reply to #22694)

Part of the joy of doing yoga is the fact that you don't need to buy a lot of crap. If you know how to do poses properly you should be able to do them on ice. I sweat so much it's disgusting. Other teachers make fun of me in class cuz I'm sweating so much. It's gross. I use a rug and that helps. What also helps is proper form. If you're not doing the poses properly gloves ain't going to help. Or at least they're not going to help you get better. They might stop you from slipping a little, but you'll never know if you're doing the poses correctly.

osujen25
Posted 2005-04-22 5:35 PM (#22703 - in reply to #22694)

i have instructors there and its doing basically the vinyasa flow (plant, pushup. upward dog, downward dog) i just sweat and sweat. and slip and slip. i have a charcoal thing but it doesnt help b/c it doesnt last, i thought about the rug but dont know if i like that feel instead of the mat?
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-22 5:43 PM (#22704 - in reply to #22694)

Read this:

http://www.yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18886&posts=8
miss dee
Posted 2005-04-22 5:45 PM (#22706 - in reply to #22694)

i'd never purchase a product such as this. if you aren't strong enough to hold your self on a mat or rug in the posture then you ought to modify the posture to your ability.
silly silly product.

Dee
tourist
Posted 2005-04-22 6:55 PM (#22708 - in reply to #22706)

Expert Yogi

I absolutely agree, even though I do a style which doesn't usually involve too much sweat. Tight shoulders and hamstrings are the major cause of slipping in poses like down dog, sweat or no sweat. My guess is that hands and feet would slip inside the gloves/socks and you would feel angry about wasting more money. But that's just my guess.
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-22 8:03 PM (#22720 - in reply to #22694)

due to the title of this thread i have images of a room full of yogis all wearing different oversized animals paws - like those plush slippers that look like bear feet.

the tiger paws, the bear paws, the mickey mouse hands

i know i am being silly! it has been a rough week. i need a little comic relief, even if it is in my own head
tourist
Posted 2005-04-23 10:28 AM (#22752 - in reply to #22720)

Expert Yogi

>>i have images of a room full of yogis all wearing different oversized animals paws - like those plush slippers that look like bear feet.<<

Ok - I am hitting the junk stores until I get a big collection of paws and we'll do a class like this on Hallowe'en! That would be a TON of fun!
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-24 4:14 AM (#22787 - in reply to #22752)

tourist - 2005-04-24 12:28 AM

>>i have images of a room full of yogis all wearing different oversized animals paws - like those plush slippers that look like bear feet.<<

Ok - I am hitting the junk stores until I get a big collection of paws and we'll do a class like this on Hallowe'en! That would be a TON of fun!

please take photos if you do it!
osujen25
Posted 2005-04-25 12:34 PM (#22867 - in reply to #22694)

thanks for all the advice, i think the yoga paws were designed to be used in replace of a mat, when traveling

however i think imay have found a solution, i noticed a girl in class yesterday had something similar to a rug on her mat, it was lightweight and had grippers on the bottom, i asked her where she got it, she said from a friend, but the tag said "yogatote" on it, she said she likes it a lot better than her rug, b/c it takes less time to wet and its sort of like a towel, hence you can hardly feel it on the mat, i'm off to search for one now
MrD
Posted 2005-04-25 12:58 PM (#22868 - in reply to #22867)

osujen25 - 2005-04-25 12:34 PM

thanks for all the advice, i think the yoga paws were designed to be used in replace of a mat, when traveling

however i think imay have found a solution, i noticed a girl in class yesterday had something similar to a rug on her mat, it was lightweight and had grippers on the bottom, i asked her where she got it, she said from a friend, but the tag said "yogatote" on it, she said she likes it a lot better than her rug, b/c it takes less time to wet and its sort of like a towel, hence you can hardly feel it on the mat, i'm off to search for one now

I just got the information about that in my huggermugger catalog.
osujen25
Posted 2005-04-25 1:00 PM (#22869 - in reply to #22694)

my bad it is called "yogitoes" and its pretty expensive, someone mentioned luminaire which is half as much but not a lot of info out there, anyone?
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-04-26 12:34 AM (#22895 - in reply to #22694)

I've posted about the yogitoes towel like 3 times. Geez!!! Pay attention, people! The yogitoes towel is great. And now they offer them in many colors and sell them all over the place. They are pricey but worth it if you practice a lot and don't like carrying a rug with you.

The luminaire towel is similar, in terms of lightness. It doesn't have the grippy stuff on the bottom, but it does come in a cute little silver bag. I haven't tried the Luminaire but I would be afraid that it would move around because it lacks the grips on the bottom, but the right mat might solve that problem.

gogirl58
Posted 2005-04-26 2:34 AM (#22899 - in reply to #22706)

Extreme Veteran

miss dee - 2005-04-22 5:45 PM

i'd never purchase a product such as this. if you aren't strong enough to hold your self on a mat or rug in the posture then you ought to modify the posture to your ability.
silly silly product.

Dee

This shows an attitude that makes it hard for me, as a person who slips.
I slip when my legs are separated ( triangle). I have almost done a involuntary split. its very scary. It difficult to modify, the doing of it increases the strength. The fear of hurting myself interferes with the doing of the pose. This is NOT a philosophical discussion, it is a practical one. The issue is learning yoga without injury.

I am however, probably not going ot buy this product either ( probably too expensive) , but I don't think it is silly to get the help you need.
Thushara
Posted 2005-04-26 6:16 AM (#22900 - in reply to #22899)

Don’t get upset gogirl., may be it’s a special case you need it., But I agree with MissDee and I think you should be able to handle and balance yourself without these additional stuff.. Otherwise what’s the purpose of Yoga?

If you practice real yoga it says practice with minimal cloths on..
Not with a cap and a paw and a glove .. I can imagine you guys practicing Yoga like walking in the moon.. better to wear those head covers too.. Incase if you slip…….

Just kidding ...... its funny but ..
miss dee
Posted 2005-04-26 8:48 AM (#22902 - in reply to #22899)

gogirl58 - 2005-04-26 1:34 AM

miss dee - 2005-04-22 5:45 PM

silly silly product.

Dee

This shows an attitude that makes it hard for me, as a person who slips.
I slip when my legs are separated ( triangle). I have almost done a involuntary split. its very scary. It difficult to modify, the doing of it increases the strength. The fear of hurting myself interferes with the doing of the pose. This is NOT a philosophical discussion, it is a practical one. The issue is learning yoga without injury.

I am however, probably not going ot buy this product either ( probably too expensive) , but I don't think it is silly to get the help you need.

no, we are still on the same page. if you are unable to do triangle the way you are currently attempting it and you buy a product so you can force the body to take the posture you are likely to injure yourself (perhaps in the groin if we use triangle as an option). you need to build up to the practice by building strength and flexibility in other postures. you might also try being more accepting and loving of where you are now. it sounds to me like a conversation about your practice with your teacher is a better idea than looking for a magic carpet.

my 'attitude' if you will, was one safety and common sense. sorry if you didn't like the answer.

blessings,
darla

Edited by miss dee 2005-04-26 8:50 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-26 9:10 AM (#22903 - in reply to #22694)

Apologies for posting a rival link :

http://www.yogamatters.com/acatalog/Classic_yoga_mats.html

I bought one of the grip balls at the bottom of the page to get over the sweaty paw issue. I wasn't that sold on the resultant texture personally however they do really work.

Also, I recently started using a Gaia thick mat and find I have far less slippage in a dynamic sequence called Trikon Mala which includes the revolved trangle pose (I can't remember the Sanskrit for the form of Trikonasana which involves twisting across the body).

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-04-26 9:11 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-04-26 10:01 PM (#22933 - in reply to #22903)

Expert Yogi

Gogirl - I wonder if this is just a case of a mat that needs some washing or other treatment? I have never had a student slip in trikonasana in a way that would make them do the splits (of course there are times when one slips due to balance etc.) It sounds to me like your surface might be the issue more than anything else. There are lots of suggestions on how to deslippify your mat here on the boards. I don't remember them all. Good luck finding a solution to this !
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)