YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

arch problems
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

halfmoonbender
Posted 2005-04-23 12:43 AM (#22741)
Subject: arch problems

I haven't been doing pilates long at all.. I'm taking a beginning class at my college. Anyway, I've noticed that one of the arches in my feet has been in quite a bit of pain lately. It has made it difficult to even walk long distances. I'm wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem ... I think it is related to my pilates practice because of all the pointing/flexing. In particular I think the arm series may've strained it. With all the calve raises, while keeping the heels together.
Any ideas?
What can I do to make it feel better?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
throwtoy
Posted 2005-04-27 9:06 AM (#22957 - in reply to #22741)
Subject: RE: arch problems

what kind of shoes do you wear? (not for pilates) have you bought new ones recently for anything? they may not be supporting the arch in your foot.

do you do cardio or other workouts? just trying to see what else may be part of this problem.

if you feel pain during class and i'm assuming it's mat class, soften the foot. many people tand to flex too much or point too much. you may want to try just balancing on the ball of the foot as well. some of my students have a hard time pressing all the way up but we're not doing tons of calf raises, how many are they having you do? if we know what you're doing in class more and maybe other workouts it'll help us. what does your instructor say it is? have you asked him/her?
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-27 10:09 AM (#22964 - in reply to #22741)

HalfmoonBender (what does this name signify?):

1. What can you make to feel better: Do not do anything with the arches, meaning rest it as much as possible.

2. What you should do in future. Go to an experienced teacher, and take a class showing them your feet. If you are in Virginia, come to my class.

neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
throwtoy
Posted 2005-04-28 8:54 AM (#23059 - in reply to #22741)

halfmoonbender,

how have your arches been in the last few days? been trying anything different? SOmetimes when you introduce new movements to some mucles they'll cramp because they're not used to being worked and there's a lot going on in the foot. Hope you're feeling better. Just remember ANY exercies that casues any type of pain stop what you're doing but always remember to talk to your instructor. it doesn't mean they are a bad or inexperienced teacher if they dont correct something on the feet, (if you're doing it right we can see if it's bothering you) but if they dont know something is wrong they cant help. your instructor is there and can see what you're doing. you may be doing something funky too. Unless you really dont like this instructor i wouldn't run off to a new class just yet. You're new and still figuring things out
halfmoonbender
Posted 2005-04-28 7:42 PM (#23113 - in reply to #22741)

Thanks for your advice and concern!

It's weird. It hurt for a few days so much I could barely walk.. then, it felt normal again. I didn't do anything really but rest it for a day or two. I guess it healed itself. I'm not even sure it was pilates related now. I think I may have just worn bad choice of shoe to walk to school in one day.

My class is now over as it is the end of the semester, but I intend to continue to do pilates.
Thanks again!
ERICA
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)