YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hi! This is my first time here
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Alessvitale
Posted 2005-04-23 9:23 PM (#22764)
Subject: Hi! This is my first time here

Hi!
I am brand new here, and I am 24 years old.
I have been looking for something like this and finally, I've found it!.
I am disabled and not working, or being able to go to school...I can't even drive right now. I need a lot of support and encouragement to achieve a completely holistic lifestyle, starting with my diet and activity level. I am healing from a lot of childhood abuse issues, and even though I am finally starting to feel, spiritually much better, it is still exhausting physically and mentally. Also,( I'm sure you guys do believe and support this), I am riddled with Candida Albicans (yeast). It is causing so many of my symptoms, and it has been so debilitating, I am disabled.
So I know what I have to do to get my life back. I have to have a very healthy and holistic diet, with no sugar, no wheat, no yeast, no fruits, and no to a lot more.
I also have to devote a big part of my life to physical activity, like yoga or pilates. I know what kind of yoga I want to become an expert on: Ashtanga yoga. I used to do it, and for the past year I have been so sick and so weak, I couldn't do it anymore. The problem is that to get better, I really have to do all this and be disciplined in my life. Put to be able to do it I have to feel better and keep myself centered, so it is sort of a vicious cycle. Especially because I'm so ill, and have a genetically weak liver, I have to work at it harder, and I cannot slack on my eating or physical health, because I can get sick again.
Also, on my spiritual side, I am dealing with severe PTSD, and will forever struggle in some degree with what happened to me, but the calmness and stillness I can achieve with a regular practice of yoga and meditation, can truly help me to stay centered throughout my life.
So, I need help and support. I have the intentions, and some of the knowledge,but for some reason I haven't been able to breakthrough what's stopping me from doing it, and I truly believe that this is what I need to do for everything in my life to get better. I want to eventually become a vegetarian, an ashtanga yoga teacher, and a dog psychologist.
So this is my introduction to you guys, I am so excited, that I'm talking too much...
Do you think I can do it? This is the biggest challenge of my LIFE so far, so I really feel that if I can accomplish this, and I finally get to feel physically well,everything is gonna turn around for me.
Thank you for reading

Sincerely
Alessandra

Edited by Alessvitale 2005-04-23 9:33 PM

(Good day.JPG)

(My baby Liam.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Good day.JPG (38KB - 52 downloads)
Attachments My baby Liam.JPG (47KB - 55 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-23 9:48 PM (#22767 - in reply to #22764)
Subject: RE: Hi! This is my first time here

First, how CUTE is your dog? (Almost as cute as my cat!)

Of course I think you can do it! Just remember to take it easy on yourself and do what you CAN rather than what you think you *should*. It may be baby steps, but it's still better than nothing. It sounds like you've had a strong practice before, so having that to keep you motivated to work on it will definitely help. Maybe Ashtanga isn't the best practice for you right now while you're working on healing your body - but that doesn't at all mean that you can't do an asana practice! Have you checked into special needs/restorative classes in your area? Finding a good teacher who can help you find/create a practice that will work for you right now sounds key - and of course yoga is more than just asana practice, so even on a bad day when you can't do that you can focus on some of the other things. At least that's what I do on days when I just cannot get to class or do a home practice...It's just working different muscles.

You'll also find a lot of wise words on this board - lots of good people. Pore through the archives as you have time, and you'll find lots to take with you!

I think it's great that you're not letting your struggles get the best of you, and that you're seeking out the things that you know/feel you need - that's perhaps the best start of all! I know that yoga really really helped me, and I've dealt with a lot of the things you're working with right now, actually. My physical problems had all but vanished by the time I found yoga, but it was a great safe place for me to work with some of the other things that were/are still hanging out. But having spent 18 years of my life dealing with medical issues that stupified the majority of doctors, and being told by the last doc (the one who figured it all out!) that according to the tests I "shouldn't really be alive, or at the very most a vegetable" I can certainly relate to what you're going through - and that's just the physical stuff! So hang in there, and good luck! Stick around and let us know how things are going.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-23 10:02 PM (#22769 - in reply to #22764)
Subject: RE: Hi! This is my first time

Expert Yogi

Hello Alessandra - I think Lora has some good advice and since she has some experience in severe medical problems, I will agree with her. Healing the body means honouring your body and mind and spirit where they are today - not driving through to get to where you want to be when you are recovered. Do find some restorative yoga somewhere and start easing back into practice that way. Even some of the more meditative styles like Kripalu might be a good choice for now and then move into Ashtanga when things start to flow better for you.

Super cute pup!
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-23 11:24 PM (#22777 - in reply to #22764)
Subject: RE: Hi! This is my first time here

Hi Alessandra,

Welcome. I look forward to you hanging out with us.
easternsun
Posted 2005-04-24 4:00 AM (#22784 - in reply to #22764)
Subject: RE: Hi! This is my first time

welcome to you and i hope you find in us - a supportive group (who are occasionally all a little loopy! )

starting is the hardest part and you found this site so you are headed in the right direction. just remember to take it slow at first - too many changes at once can be traumatic. start with baby steps as lora said. good luck!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)