YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Frustrating wrist problem...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-27 3:59 PM (#23000)
Subject: Frustrating wrist problem...

Greetings to all

I've got a persistant wrist problem that pops up when doing yoga - my left wrist is weak & I can't tolerate much pressure on it, making poses like upward dog or any arm balances difficult, (if not impossible, such as bakasana - grrr!)  My right arm and wrist have strengthened accordingly as I've practiced, but the left wrist (and btw, I am left-handed...) is problematic.  I suspect that I broke it as a child in a bicycle accident but the doctor missed it, and it was never quite "right" ever after.  I've tried strengthening exercises to no avail.

My question is: do you think a wrist brace would help or hinder my practice?  I don't think my wrist will improve (since it's been some 20 years or more since the original injury) and am not sure whether to try a brace.  I do occasionally use an ankle brace due to arthritis in my left ankle (why always left?! LOL) when it flares up - and I don't think that interferes with anything, though I have trouble holding poses such as virasana.  It seems however that the wrists tend to be involved in poses much more than the ankles, so...  If any of you have suggestions on this I'd appreciate it!

Thanks so much,

Echo

Top of the page Bottom of the page
sideshow
Posted 2005-04-27 4:23 PM (#23005 - in reply to #23000)
Subject: RE: Frustrating wrist problem...

You could always bring this up to your doctor ( if you havent already ) and see if he would be willing to break it again and reset it. OUCH!

Have you tried that tapestuff football players and other athletes use? it may give you some more flexibility than what you would have jumping straight to a full on brace.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-27 4:30 PM (#23006 - in reply to #23000)

It's actually not unusual to have less flexibility in your dominant hand, because it is the one always being asked to move in one direction (to write, type, do your other activities). My fingers and shoulder are much less mobile in my right hand (dominant) because I type, write, shift the car, crochet, cross-stitch, etc. Shoulder is less mobile to the back because it is always moving forward.

ANYWAY, that doesn't help you, does it?

I had a lot of problems with my hands-down poses (worst was Down Dog) until a great teacher stuck his finger right under the base of my index finger and told me to press down. FINALLY I became aware of how to press my palm fully into the mat! You have to really focus on the base of the fingers rather than the base of the palm. That helps distribute your body weight across the whole palm rather than forcing your wrists to take the full pressure.

If that does not help, you may try rolling up a towel and gripping onto that rather than having your hands in direct contact with the mat. That changes the shape of your hand and the angle of your wrist, and will also distribute the weight load on the hands differently.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-04-28 6:08 AM (#23056 - in reply to #23006)

Thanks for the tips jeansyoga. As an RSI suffering, I think this may help me a lot, especially in seated twists where the reflex angle on my wrists really gives me the gyp!

Fee
KPopejoy
Posted 2005-04-28 9:23 AM (#23061 - in reply to #23000)
Subject: RE: Frustrating wrist problem.

Empress Echo - 2005-04-27 2:59 PM

Greetings to all

I've got a persistant wrist problem that pops up when doing yoga - my left wrist is weak & I can't tolerate much pressure on it, making poses like upward dog or any arm balances difficult, (if not impossible, such as bakasana - grrr!) My right arm and wrist have strengthened accordingly as I've practiced, but the left wrist (and btw, I am left-handed...) is problematic.

Echo

I have a wrist issue that requires me to modify some poses. I do up dog, or any other pose that calls for full wrist extension, on my knuckles to keep my wrist alignment neutral. A balancing pose like bakasana requires a foam wedge. A rolled towel might work but I like the wedge. This prop reduces wrist extension enough to allow the pose although I still have to keep my elbows bent somewhat to further reduce impact on the wrist. Discuss suitable wrist strengthening exercises with a physical therapist. While it may not be a cure all, a comprehensive strengthening program would do a lot to reduce the chances of further injury.

Kevin
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-28 11:07 AM (#23070 - in reply to #23000)

Thank you all so much for your help!  I think I'll try to redistribute my pressure with knuckles or towel first, and then if I have to I'll get a wedge (I'm all for going with the "free" or "cheap" options first! LOL)  I really do appreciate it as I often get frustrated when my wrist gives out & I collapse (although my nose is definitely getting stronger & should be able to bear my weight all by itself soon! )

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

Echo

tourist
Posted 2005-04-28 11:34 PM (#23130 - in reply to #23070)

Expert Yogi

Noseasana - I want photos!!
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-29 11:13 AM (#23158 - in reply to #23130)

tourist - 2005-04-28 11:34 PM   Noseasana - I want photos!!

ROFL!  Trust me, it isn't pretty!!  I actually (and this is no joke, but I wouldn't post pictures if you paid me!) have rug burn on the underside of my nose!!!  (trying to move from chataranga to upward dog...)  Even I am astounded at the talent it takes to do THAT!  ROFLOL!!!!!!!   It hurts like hell, but I have some neosporin with numbing stuff in that helps.

I will have to warn anybody to try noseasana at your own risk! Hee, hee!

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-29 11:21 AM (#23159 - in reply to #23005)

sideshow - 2005-04-27 4:23 PM You could always bring this up to your doctor ( if you havent already ) and see if he would be willing to break it again and reset it. OUCH!

EGAD!!!!!  I meant to reply to this last night... Rebreak a 20-year-old injury that only bothers me during yoga?  YIKES!!!  I think I'll pass on this option, but thanks for the idea, just in case!  LOL!

I haven't tried that tape but have considered it.  The braces available range from flexible - such as a pressure bandage (Ace bandage) to rigid, so I could try the most flexible first... Obviously I wouldn't want something of hard plastic or metal, as that wouldn't help for yoga.

Thanks for the ideas though!
Hugs,

Echo

sideshow
Posted 2005-04-29 1:08 PM (#23170 - in reply to #23000)

Oh yeh, one more thing...
Have you considered ( or just have for that matter ) some of those chinese health balls? Those things do wonders for wrist ailments, as well as help with meditation and other body ailments associated with those wierd pressure point things in the hands and fingers.

In fact it was reccomended for my gramps after he had his stroke to help get more mobility in his right hand/arm..

Just another thought..
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-29 1:54 PM (#23179 - in reply to #23000)

Hmmm... I actually have some of those for meditation, and while they would be great to improve dexterity in the hand, I'm not so sure they'd do much for my wrist.  It's worth a try, however, and I do appreciate the advice

Namaste!
Echo

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-29 6:20 PM (#23190 - in reply to #23000)
Subject: A definite improvement! :)

I tried the rolled-up-towel method today and noticed a marked difference in my wrist - very little pain and a LOT more steadiness!!!  WOO-HOOOOOO!   Thank you SO much for the ideas, folks - I don't know how I'd get by without you!!

It took a little practice, trying to figure out exactly wear to put the towel & how to position my hands, but once I got it, and placed more pressure at the base of my fingers (rather than on the heel of my hand), it all came into place - for the very first time I was able to hold upward dog and roll back over my toes to down dog!  WAH-HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!   I'm totally invigorated and excited about this!

Ah, you've just gotta love a breakthrough!  Still need work on chataranga to up dog, but this was just my first try with the towel, so... I'll get there.  No noseasana today either (which I'm grateful for since I've got neosporin all over my poor nose already! )

Thanks again - I do so appreciate all your help!
Echo

Edited by Empress Echo 2005-04-29 6:22 PM

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)