YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

ButterflyAngel
Posted 2005-04-27 4:58 PM (#23010)
Subject: New to Yoga

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and new to Yoga. I have wanted to try Yoga for some time now. I just have really not known how to get started. I wanted to buy a DVD to start at home, but there are SO many DVD's out there. What are some good ones for beginners?

I am registered to take Yoga 1 as a college class to cover my required physical activity. I figure since I wanted to take it anyway, why not. Well, I don't want to wait until August to start.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for someone who wants to start?

Incase it helps, I'm a mother of 3 and would like to tone and lose weight, as well as help with relaxation (It can get pretty stressful taking care of kids and going to school and running my own website).

Hope to learn a lot from all of you.

BTW, how do I edit my signature, and profile in here?

Edited by ButterflyAngel 2005-04-27 4:59 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LoraB
Posted 2005-04-27 5:30 PM (#23013 - in reply to #23010)
Subject: RE: New to Yoga

Welcome!

You can edit all those items by going to the control panel (upper right of the screen) and changing them there.

As for the rest, best thing to do is read the boards. At least the basic questions are sure to be answered, then when you come back with more (and there are always more) we can help you out more.
Kabu
Posted 2005-04-28 12:10 AM (#23046 - in reply to #23010)
Subject: RE: New to Yoga

Welcome

I have two young ones and have found Yoga helps tremendously in the Stress Department. Once you get started, I think you and the rest of the family will enjoy the benefits. That's really cool they offer Yoga as a college class.

I'm only a beginner, so I'll hang back and let the more experienced yogis offer their advice. I *can* tell you that though I'm a huge fan of Yoga DVDs, it really helps to have the guidance of a live teacher. Since you're already lined up for that in August, and your 3 kids/schedule probably make additional classes impossible, I might offer a humble suggestion of picking up some reading on the subject.

Granted, I'm a bookworm, so my recommendation for anything is "Read." But if you find yourself at the library with the kids, try looking for some titles. I'll bet others here have their favorite books they'd like to share.

I recently read "Journey Into Power" by Baron Baptiste and liked it, especially the tips he gives for each pose. You might also find Yoga Journal magazine issues too ~ I dig YJ.

Oh, and visit Yoga Journal's site. It has a section for beginners.

(So much for me hanging back and keeping my mouth shut!)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)