YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Please Help! need help for mom
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

osujen25
Posted 2005-04-29 11:06 AM (#23156)
Subject: Please Help! need help for mom

i would like to see my mom start doing yoga, she is in her 50's and slightly overweight but the reason is b/c she has ailments, like high blood pressure, bad knees, and right now is under a lot of stress mostly b/c my sister is going t hru manic depresssion....

right now she is having an ekg and a heart monitor put on... and i dont wnat to see her deal
anyways, she is willing to start doing yoga, and im looking for a good video for her to start

something similar to pranama (yin) but i dont know if theres any videos for that.

i asked my yoga instructor awhile back and i think she said "yoga for flexibility" ??
but i dont want anything with flow through or that is so fast paced/described that my mom will get frustrated

any help/advice is so greatly appreciated!!

ps. i know a class would be good but just getting her to try a video is a start
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-04-29 12:04 PM (#23167 - in reply to #23156)
Subject: RE: Please Help! need help for mom

Hi Osujen

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001IXT90/qid=1114790153/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-9283739-6413737?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

"Yoga for the Rest of Us with Peggy Cappy"

I haven't done this tape/dvd myself, but I saw a show on PBS about it, and it seemed to be great for people who aren't flexible - even senior citizens who hadn't been able to exercise otherwise were able to do this and get results from it.  I'm thinking of getting one for my 83 year-old father & his wife as I think they'd love it!  Check it out!

Best of luck to you!
Echo

sideshow
Posted 2005-04-29 12:59 PM (#23168 - in reply to #23156)

Also you may wanna check out the book: Moving Toward Balance with Rodney Yee, it has very detailed photos and write ups for each pose, plus he offers 3 different variations on each pose to try out.

Im actually looking into getting that am/pm yoga workout video he ( Rodney Yee ) does to help guide me through my self started practice.

Of course we all know that nothing is better than a class maybe you can find a free yoga class at like a seniors center or something, just a thought...

MrD
Posted 2005-04-29 1:01 PM (#23169 - in reply to #23156)
Subject: RE: Please Help! need help for

The types of yoga she probably should look for is Restorative, Iyengar, Anusara, or Gentle. The power of a live clsss cannot be denied.

If she can't go to a studio I'd recommend Sara Ivanhoe's Yoga for Dummies basic workout, and Yoga for Dummies Beyone basic Workour. She is very personable, and actually teaches 12 poses on each tape. It's not a workout per se, but gives a great foundation.

For DVA's nothing beats Suzanne Deason's Complete Yoga for Weightloss. It's a gentle Iyengar yoga that is especially designed for overweight people. It has 4 levels and if you get the DVD you can customize a workout to the level she can use, or you can choose the complete one that shows all 4 at once.
osujen25
Posted 2005-04-29 1:33 PM (#23173 - in reply to #23156)

thanks, however i think those videos ,with the exception of peggy cappy's are flow, i just want her to be able to sit in some poses , etc

these are the ones im debating over
peggy cappys "yoga for the rest of us"
"yoga for inflexible people"
"healing yoga for aches and pains"

thanks

Edited by osujen25 2005-04-29 1:46 PM
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-04-29 1:43 PM (#23175 - in reply to #23173)

I think Mr.D's suggestions are great - they have restorative and Iyengar classes for people in chairs. Call a local studio. As far as Anusara, make sure it's a beginner level class. My Anusara classes are more difficult than my Ashtanga classes
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-04-29 1:57 PM (#23180 - in reply to #23156)

There is a wonderful book called "The Healing Path of Yoga" that was put together by Nischala Joy Devi, the woman who designed the gentle yoga for Dr. Dean Ornish's heart disease reversal program. It has a lot of excellent advice as well as some gentle chair sequences (there is even a Sun Salutation that is modified for people to do while seated in a chair!).

I don't know of many DVD's that involve primarily breathing and relaxation. A book might be a good place to start for suggestions, or CD's containing relaxation exercises. Nischala Joy Devi has several relaxation CD's on Amazon, but I have never listened to them so I can't say whether they are good or not. Her book is incredible though!
MrD
Posted 2005-04-29 3:15 PM (#23183 - in reply to #23173)

osujen25 - 2005-04-29 1:33 PM

thanks, however i think those videos ,with the exception of peggy cappy's are flow, i just want her to be able to sit in some poses , etc

these are the ones im debating over
"yoga for inflexible people"
thanks

Sara Ivanhoe does have some flow workouts like the Joy of Yoga, but these Dunmmies ones are not. Sara teaches the pose then does it. Very relaxing, not strenuous and gives a great foundation. MS Deason's is not flow either. You don't do a single down dog or sun salutation, and the setting and ability to go mid workout to a "studio" for more detailed explainations make this one a very good one. .

I found yoga for inflexible people dull. It has great modifications however and may be very good for people who are stiff.
notsoflexible
Posted 2005-04-29 7:36 PM (#23195 - in reply to #23156)

Her cardiologist might know of a class or perhaps her nearest hospital has a class she could join. Hospital based yoga classes are wonderful and very centred towards healing. Plus she would be in a class with other souls on a similar path.

M
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-29 9:50 PM (#23203 - in reply to #23156)

Osujen:
From what you have written above, your Mom needs a private class, NOT any other method. This class must be with a very experienced teacher. But, I wish you all the best.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)