YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lunges
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

itchytummy
Posted 2005-05-03 5:08 PM (#23403 - in reply to #23322)
Subject: RE: Lunges

All of you gals and guys crack me up with this boobie talk.

But anyway, I can totally relate to the whole breasticles getting in the way thing while doing yoga. It's sooo not comfortable to get the twins squished while doing yoga. As a fellow big-busted sistah, I find wiggling and maneuvering until the titties are comfortable after I've gotten into the lunge takes too much out of the flow of my practice as the wiggling sometimes can take a while if the "girls" are being disagreeable. I just go straight into the lunge, take a second to note if the twins (Mike and Ike) are comfy. If they are, I keep going. If not, well, I just take my hands and quickly lift and push them into a more bearable position before settling in completely for the pose, and then I'm fine.

Lunges usually aren't a problem for me, now when I'm in Uttanasana (standing forward bend) and those titties flop in my face while my chin is tucking in towards my chest (I kinda get a sense that I'm suffocating myself w/ my own boobies), that's where my real problem is...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-05-03 6:47 PM (#23410 - in reply to #23403)

Expert Yogi

OK - I have to post this - I saw Dolly Parton on Oprah some time ago (when the Iraq situation was in full swing) and she noted that she called her "twins" her "weapons of mass distraction" and pointed to them as she named the "Shock" and "Awe."
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-03 7:09 PM (#23413 - in reply to #23410)

too funny, Tourist! BTW for the girls w/ big boobs, I buy my sports bras from www.Title9sports.com. They sell an incredible number of sizes AND you can buy, wear, wash and return the bras, if necessary.yes, I have received a bra that had been returned, but washed it before I wore it and didn't have a prob. I wear one of the Champion underwire sport bras - I think it's $29.00. it fits well, no weird compression look and the girls remain contained in even the most challenging positions - head/handstand - without constant repositioning.I just received a catalog called Sahalie (www.sahalie.com) and they have these tank top/ sport top looking tops that have built in underwire bras in a lot of sizes and 3 different styles. The item numbers are (light cami) 74737, (sport cami) 74396, and (X-tra Cami) 75030. The Xtra cami has a cross style back...
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-03 7:54 PM (#23420 - in reply to #23403)

itchytummy - I just go straight into the lunge, take a second to note if the twins (Mike and Ike) are comfy.

Oh Lord, now I'm laughing so hard I'm crying!!!! 

Yoga Guy, I can't believe you haven't asked for pics yet!!!!  LOL

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-03 8:08 PM (#23422 - in reply to #23276)

I refer to mine as "the sisters." A few more years and I will need binoculars to see them, drooping down by my feet.

I'm so happy you posted that link to the sports bra site! I had finally found one that a) fit, and b) held them up so you can actually tell I have a waistline. Then, it got discontinued!! WAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Ladies, clearly there is a need for us to get together and work out a yoga program for the big busted ladies. We also need to get back to the drawing board on designing that bra to hold the girls DOWN during inversions. We'll be millionaires!
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-03 8:16 PM (#23423 - in reply to #23276)

[BIG VICTORIA'S SECRET VOICE:]

You've heard of the push-up bra?  Behold, I give you...

The Push DOWN Bra!!!!

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-03 9:56 PM (#23427 - in reply to #23410)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-05-03 6:47 PM

OK - I have to post this - I saw Dolly Parton on Oprah some time ago (when the Iraq situation was in full swing) and she noted that she called her "twins" her "weapons of mass distraction" and pointed to them as she named the "Shock" and "Awe."

This is enough to cure my interest in breasts...
tourist
Posted 2005-05-03 11:53 PM (#23434 - in reply to #23427)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2005-05-03 6:56 PM
This is enough to cure my interest in breasts...

OK, I once got the "Bay" part of your name wrong but you are still a "Guy", n'est ce pas? This fact would render your protestations null and void...
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-04 3:24 PM (#23473 - in reply to #23276)
Subject: Croc pose

Just saw Echo's comment about Crocodile pose in another thread, but thought I'd reply here as to not detract from the main subject of that particular conversation.

For us big-busted types, you will find that any pose requiring you to lay face-down on the floor will result in arching your lower back (sometimes painfully so). It can be EXTREMELY helpful to position a folded blanket beneath your hips and to gently engage your abdomen, to decrease the curve in your lower back. I learned this one the hard way!
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-04 11:42 PM (#23503 - in reply to #23276)

Yeah... with the face-down poses we're kinda back to "the resultant titty squish"!   

I feel okay without the blanket, tho my dvd instructor did mention it as an alternative to just the mat.  I just have to make a quick little rearrangment of the girls before I carry on! 

In other news, I'm working hard at my new style of lunges - keeping my forward knee between bust & arm.  It's tough!  I never thought I had short arms before!

Namaste to all!

Echo

Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-05 7:34 AM (#23517 - in reply to #23473)
Subject: RE: Croc pose

Funnily enough I don't have issues with the face down poses, it's more often inversions or seated twists that give me more issues as there's nowhere to put the 'girls'

I find them an advantage in some situations. EG the version of corpse pose where you're face down is actually extremely comfortable for me, even more so than being on my back at the moment due to a pesky SI injury that's still healing.

Fee
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-05 8:43 AM (#23530 - in reply to #23276)
Subject: RE: crocs & savasana

Fee, have you tried doing savasana (face up) with a bolster or rolled blanket propped beneath your knees? My S.I. joint is weak and I have found that to be helpful in relieving discomfort. But, it has not sustained any specific injury so your situation may be different.

The "sisters" can pose a whole different problem in savasana that had never occurred to me - see my post under "Yoga Teachers" in the thread about issues adjusting students! Boy did I have an interesting class last night!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-05 9:16 AM (#23531 - in reply to #23530)
Subject: RE: crocs & savasana

Thanks for the tip. I got the back care yoga book recommended to me here a little while ago and it has some wonderful supported resting postures.

My right SI is healing well, however I find lying on my back difficult as I never sleep that way (dodgy sinuses + laying on back = ear-ache) and also, at the moment, results in my lumbar region seizing up (not a good advert for yoga teacher when you can't get off the floor at the end of class without a hoist *gggggg*). The rolled towel sounds like a good solution at home. I lay with my knees bent in class last night.

Talking of my SI, the osteopath keeps telling me that my right buttock is still tight. Are there any poses that are good for improving flexibility in the bottom? I do forward bends and head to knee but find that seems to work my lower back beautifully but leave my bottom alone (I have long legs relative to torso so perhaps that's why?)?

Regards,

Fee
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-05 9:46 AM (#23536 - in reply to #23276)
Subject: RE: savasana & hip stretches

Heck yes! I have tight hips/buttocks too (is this a white girl thing?) and there are a few hip stretches that I could not live without!!!

I don't know if this pose has an official name, one of my instructors called it "Log Pile" and it was also described very well in Erich Schiffman's book. At any rate, begin sitting upright in Easy Pose. From there, stack your shins directly on top of one another horizontally, like a log pile! Your legs might be slightly further away from your body than in Easy Pose, it's most important to have them lined up. For example, if your right leg is on top, your right knee will be directly over your left ankle, and your right ankle will be directly over your left knee. Am I describing this okay? I know what I mean, but I feel like my description isn't making any sense!

At any rate, once your legs are piled up, sit up very tall and extend your tailbone downward. Keeping your back flat, begin to lean forward until you feel the stretch in your outer hip.

Half Pigeon is also a great pose for your outer hip, and the psoas muscle of the other leg at the same time.

Also, you can try one for the deep inner muscles of the back thigh, which can also tighten up to protect an injured SI. Lie on your back with your feet on the floor, knees facing the ceiling. Cross your right ankle over your left knee. Wrap your left hand around the left knee, then reach through with your right hand to hold the other side of the left knee. Gently pull the left knee toward your face, while gently stretching the right knee away from you. Then, switch legs. ALWAYS roll onto your side and use both hands to push yourself up to a seated position, this protects your back from further injury.

Let me know if any of these help! One of my coworkers had an SI injury (fell down some stairs) and she really liked that one for the deep inner back thigh. Good luck!!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-05 10:26 AM (#23544 - in reply to #23536)

Thanks for the tips. I'd not heard of the 'logpile' . I have done the knee contorsion one though, but haven't for a while so thanks for the reminder!

White girl thing? And I thought folk were just being rude when they described me as a 'tight-ass'

Fee
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-05 12:54 PM (#23560 - in reply to #23544)

Definitely have tight hips/ buttocks... eeesshh...As for the large breasted face down poses adding curvature to the lower back - I'm definitey going to try this w/ some kind of cushioning under my hips. I have always had problems getting out of my lower back and into my not so flexible upper back - esp in dhanurasana - so maybe if I fold my mat or rug up a little it will help... I will report back!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-06 7:07 AM (#23634 - in reply to #23536)

Hi again Jeansyoga,
did 'logpile' and the knee/ankle cross-over thing last night. Logpile was not that successful for me as my, 'erm, curvaceous frame didn't lend itself to getting the knees one over the other in a straight line.

Knee/ankle cross-over however was marvellous. When I first came across this one, it wasn't made clear that the unsupported knee should be moved away from the body. When I did this.... fabulous stretch in just the right place! I find that when my hip is tired, say from standing, I get an ache just under the shelf of the buttock which radiates upward obliquely from groin to hip bone. The knee/ankle cross-over stretched just that point and took all the aching out. The only downside is that it felt so good, I went on to do my first usual length routine for 2-3 weeks (about an hour and a half) and am walking around like road-kill today (the aching's the good kind though)!!

I think I'll have to ask my tutor to take me through half pigeon as I couldn't quite follow YogaDancer's web-site's instructions on that one.

Regards,

Fiona
itchytummy
Posted 2005-05-11 1:40 PM (#23886 - in reply to #23422)

jeansyoga - 2005-05-03 5:08 PM
Ladies, clearly there is a need for us to get together and work out a yoga program for the big busted ladies. We also need to get back to the drawing board on designing that bra to hold the girls DOWN during inversions. We'll be millionaires!

The push-down bra? That would definitely help with my booby suffocation dilemma when doing certain poses. Ingenious. I would be happy to help w/ coming up w/ a protype.

Wait, I have another idea. Have you heard of the new shoes from Adidas that have a special computer chip in them that adjust the shoes shock absorption levels depending on what kind of surface you are walking on? What if we invented the bra version of that shoe? What about a bra with a chip that adjusts to support you in different ways according to your varying needs? When you need it to push up, it'll push up; when you need it to push down, it'll push down; when you need more support if you're jogging, it'll give you more support,and so on...Forget being millionaires, we can be billionaires if we invented this kind of bra (Watch out Bill Gates!). Every woman on earth will love us!
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-11 1:57 PM (#23888 - in reply to #23276)

Now THAT's a brilliant idea!!!  Go Itchy!   So... do any of us know anything about microchips...?  (And think of how these babies would sell in Vegas! ROFL!)  Would we call it the "push-around bra"?!

LOL
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-11 2:13 PM (#23889 - in reply to #23888)

Hi Ladies! As a PS to the whole bra thread, I wanted to let you guys know that I attended (and shopped at) a trunk show on Friday for a yoga/exercise clothing lable called Yogabella (www.yogabella.com).I met the designer who uses great supplex fabrics from Brazil and makes clothes that FIT and look better than I had imagined. Oh, and you have to (god bless her) SIZE DOWN. I know they are redesigning the online retail portion of their website, but I think it should be back up soon.Thought you might like to know!BTw, I bought a cross back top in a size Small (yep, got the DDs in there) and could wear it w/out a bra if I dare to. I also bought a tank in M (still could go braless) and a pair of roll top pants in L (though I should have gotten a Sm or Med).If you want to compare sizes, send me a PM and I'll let you know the measurements of my clothes/bodyMelissa
itchytummy
Posted 2005-05-11 2:54 PM (#23893 - in reply to #23888)

Empress Echo - 2005-05-11 10:57 AM
the "push-around bra"?!

LOL

Empress Echo, you crack me up!
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-11 4:58 PM (#23912 - in reply to #23889)

btw, that was www.yogabela.com (one "l") and they are currently working on the site. You can find info about the fabrics and I think you can contact them, through the site, too.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-12 5:02 AM (#23951 - in reply to #23888)

Love it!!!! Mind you, it'd have to have a safety feature in the event of failure.... you wouldn't want it constricting until you looked laminated or, perhaps worse, explosively loosening so that everything went everywhere at once *ggggg*!!!

Fee

Empress Echo - 2005-05-11 6:57 PM

Now THAT's a brilliant idea!!!  Go Itchy!   So... do any of us know anything about microchips...?  (And think of how these babies would sell in Vegas! ROFL!)  Would we call it the "push-around bra"?!

LOL
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-12 6:14 AM (#23952 - in reply to #23276)

After a suffocating shoulderstand in class last night, I'm ready for the push-down bra! Where do I sign up?
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-12 10:21 AM (#23962 - in reply to #23276)

Love it!!!! Mind you, it'd have to have a safety feature in the event of failure.... you wouldn't want it constricting until you looked laminated or, perhaps worse, explosively loosening so that everything went everywhere at once *ggggg*!!!

Fee

ROFLOL!!!!!!  Yes, that could get messy!!!!!  Oh, I'm laughing so hard I'm actually crying!  LOL!!!!!!!  Bless you, Fee!!

Echo

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)