YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poses for a migraine? Help!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-05 1:45 PM (#23564)
Subject: Poses for a migraine? Help!

Help!

Fortunately this doesn't happen often, but every now and again I get a migraine.  Sinus headaches all the time - I know how to deal with them.  But migraines... nothing seems to work & all I can do is retire to a dark, quiet room & pray to fall asleep.  I've tried all sorts of medicine - none of it works for me so I don't take anything now, except an icepack to the head. 

So... any recommendations for poses to relieve migraine pain?  (Keeping in mind that I'm a relative beginner - I can't do headstands or anything like that!)  I looked for some on yogajournal.com, and they have poses for "headache"... but migraine is just so much more than a mere headache!

Grazie,

Echo (ready to cut off my own head!)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
LoraB
Posted 2005-05-05 2:00 PM (#23565 - in reply to #23564)
Subject: RE: Poses for a migraine? Help!

Oooho, this is not fun. I can't offer any poses, but lots of sympathy!

Last one I had I buried my head under a pillow to block out the light and told my boyfriend that if he dared even move that he would regret it for a lot longer than the migraine would last! : )

Hang in there!
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-05 2:05 PM (#23567 - in reply to #23564)

Yep, that pretty much describes it.   Actually I can't stand to look at the computer any longer - my vision is all fuzzy & the pain is too much, so I'll have to check back later... I'm off to a very dark room & the dog had better not bark, that's all I've got to say!  (Actually he's usually very keen to know when I'm in pain or upset and "takes care" of me - often he brings me his toys - isn't that adorable?!)

Alright, I'm off - back later!

Namaste!
echo

LoraB
Posted 2005-05-05 3:32 PM (#23577 - in reply to #23564)

Animals are so good about that! There have been countless studies that show that most people feel that their pets understand them better than their partners...I know my cat *understands* me....When I'm upset he'll sit across from me and stare until I look at him, and then he'll jump onto my lap and start purring ridiculously, or he'll do something purposely goofy and then look back to make sure I saw. Gets me every time.
tourist
Posted 2005-05-05 6:59 PM (#23597 - in reply to #23567)
Subject: RE: Poses for a migraine? Help

Expert Yogi

Oh echo - you poor thing! Well, there are many threads about this topic so you could delve into those for a some light reading. Neel is sure that the proper diet, rest, asana etc. plus fasting (I'm sure there was fasting involved) is the right choice and he says his wife is doing very well on his program but since neither you nor I are about to head off to Virginia to spend time with him, we are left to our own resources... Do you feel like the migraine is a sinus headache gone bad? I have had that experience where it seems to be a normal headache and then it "turns toxic" as I call it. In that case, I have to be really vigilant and not let it get to that stage. That helps a lot. Otherwise, I'm afraid I am still a slave to my pharmacist and I have a lovely battery of chemical agents from muscle relaxants to migraine specific meds to good old fashioned narcotics that get me through. One of the simplest remedies is some gravol (I think you call it dramamine down south) to cure the nausea and help you sleep. I get the children's liquid version so I can just sip it in tiny amounts that won't jar my tummy and make me upchuck it again. I don't know if it comes in the quick dissolve style yet - that would be the best. One of the giant chemical companies had a motto in the 60's "Better Living Through Chemistry". I don't think they meant drugs but I go with what works.

Take care and I hope you don't get these too often!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)