YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Religious Yoga? Help!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

ash
Posted 2005-05-05 9:00 PM (#23605)
Subject: Religious Yoga? Help!

Does any form of yoga have any religious teachings? If so, what forms and what are the teachings? I've been wanting to start yoga, but I wasn't sure where to start.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-05 9:29 PM (#23607 - in reply to #23605)
Subject: RE: Religious Yoga? Help!

Expert Yogi

Hi Ash,

Could you clarify your question? I'm not sure whether you are interested
in finding a new religion or in taking up the practice of yoga. If the latter,
could you tell us why you are interested in taking up yoga?

Bay Guy
ash
Posted 2005-05-06 5:57 PM (#23670 - in reply to #23605)

No, I'm a Christian and if there were a Christian form of yoga that'd be great! I am interested in taking up yoga mostly to relieve stress and get a good physical work-out. But there are other reasons too... I would like to "expand my horizons" so to speak.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-07 12:08 AM (#23688 - in reply to #23670)

Expert Yogi

Well, yoga doesn't really have a Christian version, so to speak, at least
none that I am aware of. So what's the question? Are you after a particular
kind of physical activity?
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-05-07 2:28 AM (#23692 - in reply to #23605)

From what I know, most people in western cultures start with Hatha yoga of some type. If you wanted to read up on all the different types and variations, start going through these forums. Or, you could jump right in at a YMCA or local gym.
Yoga isn't religious, but it is spiritual (IMO) if thats what you are asking about (I think you are?)
Hope this helped a bit....
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-07 8:52 PM (#23699 - in reply to #23605)

For myself (and others that I know), yoga began as a physical pursuit and over time, I've wanted to know more so I've studied some of the traditions and spirituality that go along with it. No teacher has ever pushed me in any particular direction, or mentioned any kind of religion in class. Yoga has just put me more in touch with the "spiritual seeker" in me!

Many have found that yoga deepens one's spiritual connection, regardless of whether your beliefs are Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, Wiccan, etc etc etc. You just feel closer to your own spiritual side after a while.

And, your body will feel wonderful too!
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-08 1:04 AM (#23704 - in reply to #23699)

jeansyoga -   Many have found that yoga deepens one's spiritual connection, regardless of whether your beliefs are Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, Wiccan, etc etc etc. You just feel closer to your own spiritual side after a while. And, your body will feel wonderful too!

This describes pretty much exactly how I feel about my yoga practice.  I am a Catholic (though I am interested in theology and explore the teachings of other religions as well) and I feel that through my practice I am closer to God.  I didn't expect this at all when I first began (fyi, I do power yoga) and it came as some surprise to me - but it's a very pleasant surprise and has encouraged me to delve deeper into myself as well as reach out and share the good will I feel with others all around me - it really is wonderful!

One other thing I'd like to mention: when I first started my yoga practice, I had a huge rush of emotions.  It took me a while to figure out why I was suddenly so emotional, but others here can tell you similare stories.  I find it hard to describe, but it feels like a great release.  I still feel that way occasionally, but now I am more likely to feel a great sense of peace.

I wish you all the best in your endeavour!
Echo

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-08 1:12 AM (#23705 - in reply to #23605)
Subject: Religious Yoga? Help! - PS!!!

From www.yogajournal.com's  FAQ:

Is yoga a religion?

Yoga is not a religion. It is a philosophy that began in India an estimated 5,000 years ago. The father of classical ashtanga yoga (the eight-limbed path, not to be confused with Sri K. Pattabhi Jois' Ashtanga yoga) is said to be Patanjali, who wrote the Yoga Sutra. These scriptures provide a framework for spiritual growth and mastery over the physical and mental body. Yoga sometimes interweaves other philosophies such as Hinduism or Buddhism, but it is not necessary to study those paths in order to practice or study yoga.

It is also not necessary to surrender your own religious beliefs to practice yoga.

http://www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/820_1.cfm#7

Hope that helps clarify things for you
Namaste!
Echo

Thushara
Posted 2005-05-09 1:54 AM (#23733 - in reply to #23605)

ash - 2005-05-06 8:00 AM

Does any form of yoga have any religious teachings? If so, what forms and what are the teachings? I've been wanting to start yoga, but I wasn't sure where to start.

Yoga has no religion Ash but It has a tradition !!

Ok say that it has a religion, But why making the religion a barrier to study/explore something.. ?????

This is what i cant understand when talking to most of the Christian/Catholic people...If you like the art., Study it without bothering which religion it belongs to …. Then., if you think its logical , accept it.. if not just forgetabout it!!!

Being a Buddhist, I study Hinduism, bible and what ever I find interesting,, and if I think something is right I accept, if I don’t think I reject.. That’s it !!

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-09 8:19 AM (#23741 - in reply to #23605)

One of my teachers (Joseph LePage) put it very well, I thought. He said: Yoga is not a religion, HINDU is a religion. YOGA is a science.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-09 10:46 AM (#23748 - in reply to #23733)

Thushara - This is what i cant understand when talking to most of the Christian/Catholic people...If you like the art., Study it without bothering which religion it belongs to …. Then., if you think its logical , accept it.. if not just forgetabout it!!!

Normally I avoid getting into the religious & philosophical discussions here (and elsewhere, for that matter - LOL!) but I've got to say something here.  Thushara, Catholics ARE Christians - in fact, they're the original Christians.  Often when you hear somebody refer to themselves as "Christian", they are of a Protestant (ie, non-Catholic) denomination - which of course goes back to the Reformation, but lets not go there - LOL!  And in fact, I have often heard "Christians" refering to Catholics as if they were something else.  This tends to bother me, so I've been on a bit of a mission to correct this misinformation lately. 

(BTW, I live in the "Bible Belt" of the USA, where Protestants are the majority and Catholics considerably less, and so I hear this misinformation often - perhaps that's why I feel the need to speak up about it!)  I hope this doesn't cause a big ado - I just wanted to speak my piece and not be confrontational!

Namaste!
Echo

PS! - I completely agree with you about practising yoga regardless of one's religious affiliations!  I also see nothing wrong - in fact find it exceedingly important in today's global climate - in learning as much as one can about religions, beliefs, and cultures other than one's own!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)