YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jala Neti after sinus surgery
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Valefor
Posted 2005-05-06 12:03 AM (#23627)
Subject: Jala Neti after sinus surgery

I'm new to Jala Neti and so far stage one has made a great deal of improvement...I've moved on to stage 2 my issue at this point is the drying. After the sinus surgery I had many years ago I was left with a number of new "passages" I guess you would call them. I think this is causing some of the water to become trapped and I don't seem to be able to get all the water out. I am curious if anyone else has dealt with this type of issue or can let me know how I should handle this. I'm concerned about leaving water in the sinus passages that may cause infection, because I have chronic sinusitus, then again...not like I don't already have a sinus infection
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-06 6:52 AM (#23633 - in reply to #23627)
Subject: RE: Jala Neti after sinus surgery

As someone who has had surgery twice in order to improve her sinuses, I sympathise greatly.

Recently, my guru taught us the recommended breathing technique for drying the sinuses after using a Neti pot. Do you do anything specific to dry?

We were told to hold a nostril at a time shut and to snort out. This should be done until all the obvious water is out.

Then, to dry completely, inhale and then rapidly push the air out of both nostrils in a rush (a bit like a charging bull winding up for an attack ). This should be repeated several times.

Alternatively, rather than using a Neti, you may find dry inhalation works to keep the sinuses free of infection .... I have a plug in gizmo from Boots in the UK which takes small pads impregnated with many essential oils such as eucalyptus and rosemary. The idea is that at the first sign of trouble, you plug it in with a fresh pad and then inhale the fumes. The great thing is that you can still do other things at the same time (unlike steam inhalation) or go to bed with it running.

Regards,

Fee

Fiona

Edited by Orbilia 2005-05-06 6:57 AM
MariaFloresta
Posted 2005-05-06 7:44 AM (#23635 - in reply to #23627)
Subject: RE: Jala Neti after sinus surgery

I second the importance of drying properly. I was taught to stay bent over and do 10 breaths in the mouth, out nose; then stand up straight, 10 in and out of the nose both nostrils, followed by 10 in and out each nostril separately and then both again. After that I do 5-10 minutes of sun salutations and find, even then, there is still some residual water that comes out.

But the difference for me is definitely worth all of that. Since I started this a few months ago, I have yet to use any decongestants and, in the springtime, that has not happened in a VERY long time.

I don't do stage 2 that often; do you do it every day? You might also search for a yoga instructor in your area who is very experienced in all of this.

Edited by MariaFloresta 2005-05-06 7:58 AM
Valefor
Posted 2005-05-06 1:18 PM (#23657 - in reply to #23633)
Subject: RE: Jala Neti after sinus surg

the "rushing bull" thing does seem to help some but I stell have that feeling kind of like a cold if I do stage 2. The main reason I want to do stage 2 is because the sinusitis is in the tissue, and medication will not clear it up, another surgery is not guaranteed to clear it up and I do not think I want another.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)