YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

practicing on carpet
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

spook
Posted 2005-05-06 9:02 AM (#23643)
Subject: practicing on carpet

I don't have much choice at home but to practice on carpet - my hardwood floors only run though the hallways, and there's no room there. Does anyone have a suggestion for something I could purchase to lay over the carpet to make a more stable foundation? I'm finding balancing poses very difficult to do on the carpet. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-06 9:43 AM (#23645 - in reply to #23643)
Subject: RE: practicing on carpet

Try doing your balancing poses in the hallway. Room shouldn't be too much of a factor, since you will be standing up (for the most part) and if balance is a factor, you can use the walls.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-06 11:45 AM (#23652 - in reply to #23643)

Hi Spook I had a similar problem and found a cheap sticky mat at Wal-Mart for around $10.  I put it over the rug & it works great, and I no longer have that slipping problem - which puts you in danger of injury.

Best of luck!
Echo

spook
Posted 2005-05-06 11:59 AM (#23654 - in reply to #23643)

I do actually use a sticky mat, but I still like practicing on hardwood floors as opposed to carpet for the stability. Through seaching the web I did find the site www.yogafloor.com, and I think that's what I'm looking for. However, it's a bit more pricey than what I had hoped. I've also seen some of the interlocking heavy duty mats, and I'm wondering if that might work just as well if I lay that down first, then my sticky mat on top of that?
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-06 4:31 PM (#23664 - in reply to #23654)

Spook, you could always go to Home Depot, buy a piece of plywood, varnish the heck out of it and use that.
spook
Posted 2005-05-09 1:45 PM (#23763 - in reply to #23643)

Problem solved! I purchased a couple of pieces of 1/2" pressed hard board, had them cut it to 2 - 32X36" pieces, joined them with an extended hinge, and viola! For under $30 I have a nice, solid foundation for my home practice
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-05-09 3:04 PM (#23774 - in reply to #23643)

awesome! post some pics. maybe more people will be inspired to build themselves little practice areas.
spook
Posted 2005-05-09 3:57 PM (#23776 - in reply to #23774)

It's really not much too look at.... if you go to www.yogafloor.com, it's a much less pretty version of that. I think the key is to get a pressed hardboard that has a finish on it, or finish it yourself, as it makes it easier to slide around on the carpet. Also, you can put some simple drawer pulls and attach them to the side to make it easier to carry. I guess you could do a lot more too it (like paint it all purdy..), but I was just going for functionality!

Edited by spook 2005-05-09 3:57 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-05-09 10:30 PM (#23796 - in reply to #23776)

Expert Yogi

When I had only carpet in my yoga area I often did standing poses in the kitchen or bathroom. OH! I just had a thought that one of those clear plastic mats they use in offices so the chairs can roll around would be good, too. They are nice and firm and come in various sizes at office stores.
YogaChick
Posted 2005-05-11 10:06 AM (#23867 - in reply to #23643)

I KNOW MANY OF YOU HATE TO BALANCE ON CARPET, BUT. . .
Practicing balances on a less stable surface (like carpet) is actually beneficial. It recruits more muscles, and requires you to use your muscles and neurological system in a different way. (There's a lot of technical information regarding what goes on in the neuromuscular system, but that's it in a nutshell.)

That's the reason you see so many stability trainers in the fitness indsutry. (Stability ball, Bosu, Wobble Board, Dyna Disc, etc.) All of this equipment was first used in a physical therapy setting, and then worked its way into the athletic training and health club settings.

For those who practice on a hard floor, you can create an unstable by folding your mat over (2, 3, 4 times, depending in how much challenge you want.) The more "squishy" the surface, the more you are challenging the muscle groups that keep you stable.

To avoid injury and build strength gently, you want to BABY STEP your way into this kind of balance training. Start out on firm carpet or by folding your mat in half. Then you can gradually begin to practice balance on less stable surfaces.
tourist
Posted 2005-05-11 11:16 AM (#23874 - in reply to #23867)

Expert Yogi

Very true April but beginners need to develop stability in the body first before they start stuff like this.
itchytummy
Posted 2005-05-11 3:04 PM (#23894 - in reply to #23874)

tourist - 2005-05-11 8:16 AM

Very true April but beginners need to develop stability in the body first before they start stuff like this.

This is a good point. I think practicing w/ more unstable surfaces should be left to more advanced yogis and yoginis. Beginners, in my opinion, should practice on more stable surfaces, before they practice on more unstable surfaces--it's safer for them that way.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)