YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Balen
Posted 2005-05-08 6:58 PM (#23716)
Subject: How many?

Have a mate or Spouse that looks at Yoga with antipathy?

Just wondering if this common?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
MrD
Posted 2005-05-08 7:25 PM (#23719 - in reply to #23716)
Subject: RE: How many?

Or to even ask the flip side, how many have a spouse, fiancee, or boyfriend or girlfriend who like yoga. and do it with them.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-08 7:28 PM (#23720 - in reply to #23716)

Maybe we should post a poll! Enjoyment, ambivalence, and antipathy can be the choices.

My personal spouse is not interested in yoga for himself, but is very supportive of my interest.
Balen
Posted 2005-05-08 7:30 PM (#23721 - in reply to #23719)

MrD - 2005-05-08 7:25 PM

Or to even ask the flip side, how many have a spouse, fiancee, or boyfriend or girlfriend who like yoga. and do it with them.

No damit the glass is always half empty. Those people with the glass half full make me wanna puke.

The reason I act the more I get into Yoga ( I take breaks in and out of it) my wife gets more and more testy about it. Not that I m cheating or lusting after Yoga girls, but I get in shape fairly quickly and pumped to do things. In part I think she is jealous of that was wondering if anyone here had the same and how do they deal with it.

Edited by Balen 2005-05-08 7:44 PM
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-09 9:13 AM (#23744 - in reply to #23716)

That is interesting, Balen. I think your assessment is probably correct, based on my own experience. Of course, I do not know your wife, so don't know for sure! How long have you been together? Most women I know are more jealous at the beginning of a relationship than after a few years of marriage. When I first got married, I went nuts every time my husband was near a pretty woman! But, as our 5th anniversary approaches, I feel much more confident and secure in the relationship.

Is your wife heavy, or otherwise in poor shape? Does she feel bad about her fitness level, but not bad enough to do anything about it?

When I was young, my mom used to attack me (verbally, she didn't throw chairs or anything) whenever I tried to exercise. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was because she had low self-esteem about her own body. She wasn't really mad at me for exercising, she was mad at herself for not exercising. I think she also might have felt like it wasn't fair that I could find time to exercise when her schedule was too busy to be able to do anything for herself.

If you think this might be the case, you could say something like "This makes me feel so great, I would love for you to try it so you can feel great too! So, if you're too busy, let me (cook dinner, do laundry, watch the kids, etc) so you'll be able to have some time for yourself." BE CAREFUL not to say she should try it because you're in so much better shape now! On the off-chance that she is insecure about you working out with pretty yoginis, you should make sure she feels like you still think she's the most beautiful woman on earth (even if you don't - a little white lie like that will make your life a lot easier!).
easternsun
Posted 2005-05-09 6:37 PM (#23784 - in reply to #23721)

Balen - 2005-05-09 9:30 AM

No damit the glass is always half empty. Those people with the glass half full make me wanna puke.

some say the glass is half empty, others say the glass is half full. i say...are you going to drink that?
tourist
Posted 2005-05-09 10:20 PM (#23794 - in reply to #23721)

Expert Yogi

Balen - I can see where that could be a problem, especially for a guy. Since so many more of the participants in yoga are women, it is easier for the male spouses to be supportive, for sure. Your job is to make sure she has absolutely no reason to not trust you in any aspect of your relationship and to let the benefits of your yoga be felt most clearly at home. I would actually advise you not to overly encourage her to take up yoga if it bothers her. Even a little gentle encouragement will probably feel like pressure and she will pull away even harder. Let her know that she is the most important thing in your life (she is, right?????) and that doing yoga makes you a better person which will only be a good thing for your marriage. And yes - do the dishes thing! Most women find that an aphrodisiac.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)