YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

leg numbness?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-09 5:42 PM (#23782)
Subject: leg numbness?

I have a strange situation. About 2 months after I had abdominal surgery, I developed a patch of numbness on my leg. It is mainly on the skin, approximately at the mid section of my right quadriceps muscle. I should add that this type of numbness happened the last time I had a similar surgery, only it was on my left inner shin. That time, it took nearly a year to disappear. Other than the numbness (it felt weird shaving my legs!) I had no ill effects. I assumed some kind of nerve reaction to the surgery.

This time, the numbness still does not bother me during regular everyday movements. However, I have been practicing yoga a lot more often, as well as teaching a lot more classes. During lunge poses, especially Warrior I and variations, I started to get a strange tingling feeling in the numb area. That was a few weeks ago, and the feeling has been steadily increasing in intensity. This past Saturday, it increased to a pretty painful level and the skin actually felt hot to the touch! Yowch!

At first, I was thinking that the tingling might be a good thing, and might mean that the nerves were coming back faster than last time. Now I'm starting to wonder if this might not be good after all! Any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-09 10:14 PM (#23793 - in reply to #23782)
Subject: RE: leg numbness?

Expert Yogi

Hmmm... this could relate to nerve compression somewhere above the numb spot
and that could be the result of either inflammation or strain. Talk to your doc, who
will have a better idea about where the nerve may be getting pressed?

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-10 12:20 PM (#23812 - in reply to #23782)

When I asked the last time, he just said "That happens sometimes, it should go away." I don't like my chances of getting a straight answer from him on whether or not I should be doing Virabadrasana I.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-10 1:01 PM (#23819 - in reply to #23782)

Hi Jean,

After the birth of my son I had a somewhat similar bizarre situation - my left hand kept going numb when I used it (and unfortunately I happen to be left-handed, which made for quite an inconvenience!)  I told my ob about it & she shrugged it off as unrelated to the birth... but I couldn't find any other reason for it, so her response kind of annoyed me!

Eventually it DID go away (after a few months), but was quite a nuisance and concern while it lasted.  I just guessed that there must have been some kind of nerve compression during the birth, though you wouldn't really expect that in your UPPER back!  LOL

However, if your situation is getting worse instead of better, have you considered trying a different doc for a 2nd opinion?  They may want to do a CT scan or MRI just to make sure all is aright.

Just my random thoughts - feel free to ignore!

Hugs,

Echo

Balen
Posted 2005-05-10 1:36 PM (#23823 - in reply to #23782)

What is your blood sugar like? This is one of the very big warning signs for diabetes?

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-10 1:37 PM (#23825 - in reply to #23782)

Jean, I had a numb patch on my outer right quadricep as a result of the epidural I had during my dd's birth. It was only a skin numbness, but it lasted for several years. I didn't get any weird sensations, though... do you have a chiro you could ask? I find a chiro is much more in tune w/ that stuff than a regular doc.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-05-10 4:53 PM (#23833 - in reply to #23782)

A chiro? Serious? I was just about suggesting to see a neuro! I don't wanna sound like a pessimist but multiple sclerosis quite often starts with either numb or tingling legs. I personally guess it's from practicing too much yoga and will go away eventually.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-10 5:13 PM (#23835 - in reply to #23782)

GEEZ, scare the heck out of me why don'tcha!

I don't think the surgeon would be so blase' about it if there were hints of MS. It did happen before with the past surgery, and this time is right on schedule. I just wasn't teaching yoga several times/week before, so maybe it would have burned when activated back then too. I just can't tell if the nerves are coming back to life, or screaming at me to stop!

Chiro did occur to me, they certainly seem more apt to figure out what's going on in your body. Around these parts, you get 5 minutes with the doctor, then get sent on your way with either a prescription or a date for surgery.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-10 10:09 PM (#23851 - in reply to #23835)

Expert Yogi

It's always hard to find a good doc who will pay attention to you.
A neurologist sounds like the best bet, although a qualified internist
should be able to do the job.

I've been with my guy for 12 years now --- unbelievable, really --- and
we have finally learned how to work together well. We f*cking hated each
other at first (yes, HMO situation, no alternatives allowed), but it's really
working nowadays. I have a condition [not telling... ] that needs regular
upkeep, so I'm in quite often. He likes me a whole lot better since I became
a yogi. Then again, I like me a whole lot better since I became a yogi.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)