YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tri Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-10 12:25 PM (#23814)
Subject: Tri Yoga

Anyone ever practiced this? Or work with a Tri-Yoga teacher? I took one last night, and it was different! Good class, lots of hip openers, strange names for the poses (Down Dog was called Mountain??), and lots of candle-lighting, ringing of bells, altars and such. Candles and altars aren't weird except for the fact that it took place in a real meat-market type health club - just unexpected in that context.

At any rate, I'm looking at the Tri-Yoga website and I can't tell if their training is completely a correspondence course? Or if there is work with a live trainer?

Just curious, if anybody knows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
itchytummy
Posted 2005-05-11 3:25 PM (#23897 - in reply to #23814)
Subject: RE: Tri Yoga

One of the instructors at the athletic club I work at has training experience from a guru in Tri-Yoga. I've taken a couple of classes with her, which were very good BTW, but weren't completely in Tri-Yoga style (just bits and pieces). I don't know much about it myself, but I'll ask her some info that I can convey the info to you via this thread if you wish. Maybe I can get her to join the boards so that she can enlighten us w/ her knowledge, or if I can't do that maybe I can get some of her contact info and PM it to you.

From what I can gather, though, Tri-Yoga is a little different from many other modern styles I've seen. It's style is more traditional in my opinion, more like the way the ancient yogis and yoginis would have practiced thousands of years ago. Unlike the very physically oriented practices that are popular today, I think it's focus is more about being spiritual and a highly conscious person--spiritually, physically, mentally, intellectually, and being more connected to the earth and it's creatures and plants--the pracitioners that I know that are highly dedicated to Tri-Yoga are staunch vegans and environmentalists. They also love chanting and using bells, candles, incense, and altars like you said.

I haven't much experience in Tri-Yoga and am not extremely dedicated to it, so don't take my word as gospel.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-11 3:48 PM (#23900 - in reply to #23814)
Subject: RE: Tri Yoga

Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you! And if you can get more information from your friend, that would be great! It would be awesome to have another knowledgeable voice on the boards too!

I've been asked to sub at that gym, for the Tri-Yoga teacher. I'm really not feeling the good vibes from the gym, though the teacher was very sweet. If I do wind up subbing there, I think I should take more of her classes first so I can understand what her students have been doing. It's just SO HARD w/ my schedule lately! I need to just sell my house and live in an RV, so I can sleep in whatever parking lot I happen to be in when it gets dark.

But I don't know if I can convince my husband, dogs, and cats about that!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)