YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

various health issues & yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Cherry Dumas
Posted 2005-05-11 11:21 AM (#23875)
Subject: various health issues & yoga

Greetings everyone

I ma a new member here. I have been working on yoga through the guidance of a friend and pictures. I have not advanced very far as of yet...still very inflexible and cannot do many poses...but I have run into a snag and was hoping you here would be able to help.

I am a very brittle diabetic...which means that my diabetes is very hard to control and as such I have a lot of health problems from it....among withc is Autonomic Nueropathy.

Because of the autonomic nueropathy, my blood pressure falls and I get dizzy and almost pass out (luckily I have not passed out as of yet) but this happens when I stand and start moving, stand too long, or bend over.

So my question is, what yoga dvd's and poses would be best to avoid this, do you know?

Thanks!
Cherry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sideshow
Posted 2005-05-11 12:27 PM (#23880 - in reply to #23875)
Subject: RE: various health issues & yoga

Given your condition you really need to find a teacher, not a friend who can "show you" what to do, im talking a GOOD, REAL teacher. If you check previous messages on this board you will find that this is a typical response to these questions however as redundant as it is, it rings very true.

I mainly do a self practice at home from what i have seen in books and on the internet, ive attended only one class, but i want to get back to class even if its once or twice a month. A good yoga teacher is invaluable to your practice.

Aside from that the only thing I can really suggest would maybe be restorative yoga but i dont know anything about that really. Maybe some other guru out there will pipe in.
tourist
Posted 2005-05-11 7:04 PM (#23925 - in reply to #23875)
Subject: RE: various health issues & yo

Expert Yogi

Hi Cherry - yes, you really do need to find yourself a teacher. Yoga can be very helpful for your conditions but you'll need very careful monitoring. See if you can find an Iyengar or Anusara studio that has a special needs or medical conditions class. for my run-of-the-mill vague blood sugar problems, yoga has been wonderful. Partly due to getting myself healthier and more disciplined, but also I feel the yoga has had a subtle effect as well. Good luck!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-11 7:56 PM (#23932 - in reply to #23925)

Expert Yogi

Hi Cherry,

Well, You don't have to find an Iyengar or Anusara studio...the best thing to do is find a *good* studio with a *good* teacher. There are *good* Yoga studios located everywhere. After reading this forum, you will discover that there are some bad ones too! I haven't had that experience and don't plan to. If you really are sincere, you will find exactly what you need. There are also some good Indian Hatha Yoga teachers located in the UK, you just need to find what suits you best and start very slow. Most Hindu Temples have some kind of Hatha Yoga program available, and it is usually free. The best thing you can do for yourself is to be comfortable with whatever you find. Diabetics and Blood Sugar problems are not that difficult to deal with and Yoga can help - but it is not an easy fix, especially if your taking meds and not eating properly. Lifestyle and environment are other important factors to consider when approaching the yoga path. There are lots of things you are really must deal with, possibly eliminating or adding to your life. Basically making healthier choices that will support your yoga practice. The basis of doing the Yoga Asana's is to enable you to get yourself at optimal health. Some people like to say that Yoga is *spiritual*, I believe that doing the Yoga Asana's is preparing the human body to maintain health and fitness in order to become spiritual or walk a spiritual path. Another words, as Bikram Choudhury has said, "The spiritual aspect will fall into place once you get on the yoga path", you don't focus on that, your focus is on your awareness of your body. Good luck. I love doing the asana's. I practice the Bikram series on a regular basis and it has helped me with so many areas of my physical body.
Cherry Dumas
Posted 2005-05-11 8:35 PM (#23935 - in reply to #23875)

Hi all!

Thanks for your suggestions. I will have to do some looking around. Unfortunately I live in Utah and they are not that big on yoga as of yet...add to that I live 20 minutes form the nearest small town and 2 hours form the nearest city and don't drive...I will have to look around for a way around this and find a good place to learn that can monitor me like you all suggest.

Ahhh I love a challenge LOL.

Again, thanks for the suggestion. I actually jsut found this place today and so I will be looking around the boards and reading things over the next few days as time permits.

Take care!
Cherry
tourist
Posted 2005-05-12 1:02 AM (#23947 - in reply to #23932)

Expert Yogi

*sigh* Cyndi - you know why we often recommend Iyengar and Anusara teachers first. It is because they are the most rigorously and carefully trained. If one wants a recommendation on anything, it is nice to point them to a place where the quality is a known factor. Yes, there are many great yoga teachers out there who have never set foot in a "teacher training" but there are a lot of really bad ones too, as you have pointed out. If a stranger in town asks you for a good restaurant, you tell them one that is good and easy to find in a decent neighbourhood. You don't send them to the industrial district late at night because you think maybe there is a really awesome place to eat somewhere among the warehouses.

Also, I do wish you would read the posts a bit more carefully or at least look back at it when you are typing out your reply. How strange must it be to Cherry to have you refer to teachers in the UK when she never once said that's where she lives???
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-12 9:38 AM (#23959 - in reply to #23947)

Expert Yogi

Tourist,

The reason I made my comments were because your statements about Iyengar are totally biased. Who is this "we" that we are referring to?? To say that Iyengar is the only Yoga that has quality is totally ridiculous. Besides, how would you feel if you were doing a great yoga practice and someone said, oh, your yoga is not as higher in quality as mine...that is so stupid and is not what yoga is. I've been is some really good places where just plain ole hatha yoga is taught, I've also studied under several other yoga guru's, some I've never met in person, and have gotten some really good insight, advice and help with my yoga practice. Again, if anyone is sincere about the yoga practice, you will find yourself in the right place and what you need to know will be available. It is all a learning experience and even the bad studios and bad teachers is a lesson to be learned as well.

Sorry about the UK mistake. I thought I saw that on her identification, is that such a bad mistake?? Besides, Cherry's in Utah and we know that now, again, sorry, what can I say.
tourist
Posted 2005-05-12 10:08 AM (#23960 - in reply to #23959)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - I won't continue to argue about this. I personally do not have an Iyengar bias in spite of my own background. Many (probably most) people currently on the board do not practice Iyengar or Anusara as their primary practice, yet the suggestion to start there comes up time and time again. "We" means most of the experienced yogis on the board. Not all perhaps, but most. When people come here and ask about classes, they are asking for some sort of direction in which to start. If they wanted to just gamble and try any old teacher they could do that on their own by looking in the yellow pages or picking up a leaflet from the local health food store. By giving them a direction we/I am honouring their request. I understand that you prefer a different approach and that is fine but I feel that if it was me aksing for advice on how to find a safe island in the middle of the ocean and you told me "just swim around for a few years and see what you can find" I would not feel I have been helped. If you wish to present a different point of view, just say so without attacking. It is easy. "Others have suggested xyz but I think you might have better luck looking for classes at a temple etc., etc., etc...."

Edited by tourist 2005-05-12 10:10 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-12 10:58 AM (#23968 - in reply to #23960)

Expert Yogi

Tourist,

You are twisting my words. Anyway, Yoga does not have to be this complicated and just because I do not have extensive teacher training like you Tourist does not make me unqualified to say what I want. So many people are turned off to yoga because of all the BS. I read yoga books and magazines for over a year, went to the HINDU TEMPLE and watched them give lessons for FREE every Sunday morning for over a year...before I ever did one single Asana. Only in America would yoga become so complicated. It is not that difficult to do yoga even when you have health problems. This Iyengar is better and better quality is not correct and that is all I'm saying. You do not have to be instructed by Iyengar to get a basic foundation of yoga. If you think that is attacking, then you need to check your mind. Oh well. I also feel that by my response that I too am honoring a request, just a difference of opinion and based on my own knowledge and experience, which I feel you like to give me a hard time about, but that is okay, Thank God I have enough self confidence within myself to speak my truth - take it or leave it, the information is just what it is...information.

As for being stranded in an ocean, that is not the same and you know it isn't - but it does sound smart. My attitude about being in the right place at the right time and everything falling into place within your life IF you are sincere is not something you should make fun about....it's all about having faith and trust that you will be guided in the right direction and good things do happen to people, its not all about bad. I'm sorry you can't live or understand my positive outlook on life, rather than everything having to be so negative. The good studios & teachers far outweigh the bad and common sense should help you out there without any dangers, as yoga is not dangerous and you can back off and quit if your not getting results from the right teacher. To say that bad things can't happen in a Iyengar studio is totally crazy...I know there are some *bad* Iyengar teachers out there...nothing is perfect in this world and what may be perfect for one may not be perfect for another...Thank God we have choices. The way you talk, you are taking my choices away from me and it just leaves me feeling so limited and helpless. Besides, that is part of the learning experience of yoga.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-05-12 11:04 AM
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-12 11:54 AM (#23973 - in reply to #23875)

Hey Cherry!

It is hard for people in outlying areas to find a teacher, particularly a specific kind. But you never know! Make some calls, and find out if there might be a teacher at a local YMCA or other fitness center. Sometimes you might just stumble onto someone who knows something about your condition!

If you can stumble onto a place that's halfway convenient and has a yoga teacher, see if you can manage to go in before or after a class. Talk to the teacher and tell him/her your concerns. If you get a blank stare in return, move on! But if you the teacher can speak knowledgeably about your situation, you may have found a winner!

I recognize the constraints of being in the boonies and not having access to the amounts or styles of classes you would like. But, it's really worth a shot. With your condition, you don't want to try and structure your own home practice right out of the gate. Maybe even a long drive to a teacher in the city would be worth the cost of a private session. Then you could at least get some guidelines (this pose is good for you, don't do that pose, etc) from someone who can actually see your body and understand your situation. Guidelines like that would be invaluable toward building a healthy home practice!

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the boards!

Jean
Mitch
Posted 2005-05-12 1:15 PM (#23980 - in reply to #23875)

Cherry,

1) As you search the board, you will see a recurrent theme of people debating the merits of one style of yoga versus another. These debates are merely for fun. Regardless, you should start your yogic journey from a solid foundation. This means learning the basics of proper, healthy alignment first - regardless of the style.

2) My wife gets dizzy from going into and coming out of inversions too quickly. Since power yoga is my primary practice, she would get nauseous practicing with me. Then she discovered pilates and she's very happy with it. Perhaps an alternative would be for you to find a qualified pilates teacher in your area. Pilates is a modern derivative of yoga that focuses on building core strength.

3) By committing to a practice you have already advanced further than most people. Don't worry about making progress. Progress happens when you least expect it. When we rush our bodies, we increase our chances of injury. Embrace the baby steps!
Gayle
Posted 2005-05-12 5:26 PM (#23989 - in reply to #23875)

Cherry, I cannot offer any advise, but just wanted to say Hi! and welcome.
tourist
Posted 2005-05-12 6:39 PM (#23991 - in reply to #23968)

Expert Yogi

Yeah Cyndi, I knew you wouldn't like the ocean analogy. Here's another one: You and I are both working at the info booth at a gigantic craft fair/farmer's market. Someone comes up and says "I want to find some honey. People tell me it is good but I have never had it. I'm completely new at this. Can you help me?" You give her a map of the place with a list of all the things at the fair to do with honey, including the honey doughnut stand and Honey the stripper who has set up to see if she can increase her business by tapping into the farmer's market crowd. I, OTOH, would say "Well, I know a little about honey and most people find that organic honey is best. Cyndi the beekeeper has her booth on the west side of the food area, just behind the carrot guy. And since she is certified organic, you can trust her." Both approaches honour the request, but which would you rather have as the person on the search?

Oh, I DO love to tell a good story. Isn't this fun??
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-12 10:20 PM (#23999 - in reply to #23991)

Expert Yogi

Glenda, I don't know... Honey the Stripper?...I like honey on toast, not
sure that I'd care to see it on stage... ...On balance, your advice sounds
better than Cyndi's. Besides, everyone knows that only yucky, insensitive,
culturally ignorant, materialistic Americans endorse stripping as a profession.
Nice pure yogis mix their honey with yogurt for breakfast, after they've done
their pranayama, and they practice bramhacharaya when Honey the Stripper
is around.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-13 8:44 AM (#24013 - in reply to #23999)

Expert Yogi

You guys can laugh at me, honey, honeybees, beekeeping, laugh at other's and how they are on a yoga path different from yours...and make fun all you want, but the truth of the matter is this… When I started my Yoga path (by Yoga path, I'm meaning not doing Yoga Asana's, I mean a Yoga path), I did not get on forums and ask a zillion questions, I didn’t go shopping, I simply had a desire to do something better for myself. It was a desire that burned within my soul and it would not rest. As a stay at home Mother I had lots of time to pursue these types of avenues, not to mention I had time to sit and reflect on my life, and what was going on around me. I did not like what I saw. I certainly made a decision that I was not going to be a part of something that did not support me physically and mentally, much less spiritually. So, having that said, when I discovered the Yoga Asana's, I saw a sign on a building in this little small town for months before I finally made a call. When I did, it was the best call I ever made. After doing a workshop and the practice, I discovered much later that my instructor was a certified Bikram instructor and she was very good. I didn’t go to an Iyengar Master, I just found someone by being exactly where I needed to be – even here in the boondocks. There is nothing wrong with that, my alignment is just fine thank you very much and that is not being lucky either…that is just trusting the universe! For anyone who did not understand, Yoga is not about only doing Asana's...it is a complete system of Union with your body, mind and spirit. Doing the asana's is only a tiny part of yoga. Which is another subject altogether.

One of my greatest teachers is a brilliant writer and spiritual motivator for anyone approaching any kind of path. I was reading one of his books this morning and found this and I decided to share it. Tourist, if you want to make fun of me that is fine, but I didn’t get where I am today on my spiritual path by listening to skeptics like you and I usually ignore this type of nonsense, but since I’m here, this what he had to say (if you want the author’s name, you will have to pm or email me for those details):

“Practice developing a trust in the unknown. By the unknown I refer to that which is impervious to our senses. As incarnated physical beings we tend to rely on our senses to determine what is real. If we can’t see, touch, taste, feel, or smell it, then we tend to believe it must not exist. Faith involves going beyond the senses to make spiritual consciousness the place that we trust, even though it is a frequency that vibrates so fast that it transcends the capacities of our five senses.

When I first began writing books I had an absolute faith that I would be able to have them published. My faith was always intact and firm even as I heard doubts that a beginning author would be able to secure a major publishing house, doubts from the experiences of others who told me of their failed attempts, and doubts from EXPERTS who “KNEW” the business. As a young college professor I announced to my classes that I would have my book published and even what media outlets I would be visiting. I did this and much more from a trust in the unknown that was a burning desire to transform an idea into a physical reality. This kind of trust in the unknown is like an invisible and invincible magnet that attracts to itself whatever it fervently desires and expects. It is trusting in the unknown.

Develop trust despite the absence of physical evidence as perceived by your senses. No matter the circumstances or obstacles, once you draft the dream the way can be cleared, and the universe responds and works with you to manifest that idea into a physical reality. It has always worked for me.

As a child I rehearsed how I would talk on television shows. As a college student sitting in classrooms listening to bored professors regurgitating the same old material I visualized myself being uplifting, fun, entertaining, and informative to large audiences around the world. I had nothing but a dream to work with in foster homes, in the U.S. Navy, and in college. If you have faith in your dreams and persistently stick to them, you will douse that smoldering fire of doubt with faith in your idea. Trust that the unknown is knowable and that it is vastly greater than the known. Or as the Buddhist proverb tells us, “If you are facing in the right direction, all you need to do is keep on walking.””

There you go, I know some of you are saying what the heck does this have to do with the subject at hand?? Well, think about it and then discuss.
Thushara
Posted 2005-05-13 9:22 AM (#24020 - in reply to #23999)

Im coming from a Hatha Yoga background., But I have heard that Iyenger style teaches the correct yoga alignment better than other styles for a beginner., I tried to find an Iyenger teacher here but it didn’t work out as most of the yoga teachers have not even heard the word “Iyenger”.. So I started with Hatha yoga.. But I have learnt a lot about Iyenger style in books and I think if you have a chance to join an Iyenger class ., go for it., that’s MHO

Thushara
Posted 2005-05-13 9:48 AM (#24023 - in reply to #23999)

Bay Guy - 2005-05-13 9:20 AM

Glenda, I don't know... Honey the Stripper?...I like honey on toast, not
sure that I'd care to see it on stage... ...On balance, your advice sounds
better than Cyndi's. Besides, everyone knows that only yucky, insensitive,
culturally ignorant, materialistic Americans endorse stripping as a profession.
Nice pure yogis mix their honey with yogurt for breakfast, after they've done
their pranayama, and they practice bramhacharaya when Honey the Stripper
is around.

Oh Bay Guy ..... I heard that somebody in the forum was calling you "Bad Guy" ...... .. Oh now I know why !!!!!!!!

Edited by Thushara 2005-05-13 9:50 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-05-13 10:14 AM (#24027 - in reply to #24013)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - thanks for sharing your story of how you started your yoga path. It is great that you have that trust of the universe and your Self, the ability to follow your dream (and the financial and time means to do it) and having it all work out for you. I know that with your background as you have described it so far, many people would not have your kind of courage. (As I remember it, your family is quite fundamentalist and not into yoga etc., am I remembering correctly?) some would say you were just lucky. I am not sure if luck is what you or I would call it, but it did all come together very well for you. Your quote at the end was great and sounds familiar. Any reason why you don't want to post the author's name here? Certainly, a lot of great people have had similar experiences, including Steve Nash, MVP of the NBA - a short white kid from Canada, who believed in himself and had such a passion he went farther than anyone ever imagined.

I am actually not really trying to make fun of you. I just thought the honey analogy would work better than the ocean one. Essentially what we have here is not so much a difference of opinion but a difference in our approach to handling our lives. If you can stand one more analogy, I am guessing that if (assuming we were both young and free of committments) we were each offered a chance to travel to Europe or somewhere you had always wanted to visit, you would be the person who threw her toothbrush, passport and last ten bucks in a backpack and just took off, trusting that it would all work out. And it probably would! Me OTOH - oh no! I was never that person. Not a persnickity plan-everything-to-the-last-detail type but I definitely require at least a guidebook, a place to stay when I arrive and maybe 50 bucks And in giving replies to people here, our differences are highlighted. I start with the assumption that if people are asking questions here, they are a bit like me and you assume they are a bit like you. In fact, we are probably both wrong and in fact, I bet a lot of the questioners never follow up on our advice either way. I find the majority of people are yoga-curious but never actually partake.

I read my posts several times before I hit "send" mostly because I am such a crappy typer, but I do try to see if anything I write sounds angry, even unintentionally, because I am not an angry, negative person. If you read it that way, I am sincerely sorry.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-13 11:27 AM (#24040 - in reply to #24027)

Expert Yogi

Tourist,

It's called the Road less traveled I do believe. Your right, I am like that. My family has been dealing with me for all my life. I'm the one that stood out, spoke up, got beaten, thrown around and they even try to rearrange my mind. Oh well, nothing worked...only my strong will to NOT be like them worked. To be honest, my sisters deep down tell me all the time that they wish they could be just like me but they don't think they could survive in their worlds if they were...and you know what?? They would not survive. It's not easy being a person like me in today's world, but I'd rather be me than them cause I tried that and almost died - literally!!

I will never forget my first trip to NYC with some Tibetan family friends. We decided in less than 2 days and left on a journey for over 3 weeks - best trip I ever did - no plans, barely enough money for souveniers. Sure, I had a headache from listening to little Cheotsow scream and cry because she refused to sit in a car seat and the fact that it took over 20 hours to get there and without the drama it was a 13 hour drive..oh well, I have so many stories like that and I ain't finished yet with my life or path if you will! This is what all the guru's talk about and they say we should be more like this especially when you are on the yoga journey..why?? because of all the changes that you go through, attachments/detachments and the unexpected and much, much more...the peeling of the ego or the onion can be so dramatic at times and yet so rewarding and refreshing at the same time. So, if the readers on this forum are doing as you say, asking questions, shopping or whatever, that is fine, but if you really want to be on a yoga journey, you better be prepared for more than just having the correct alignment

So, the author's name is Wayne Dyer and I didn't mention it because of how certain people like to critique everything. He is one of my very first teachers many, many years ago. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person 6 years ago and he is truly a wonderful human being.

No hard feelings as usual. We are just different people with different ideas and lifestyles. I still have respect for you and where you are on your journey and I will still come to your house for chai if you don't slam the door in my face
loli
Posted 2005-05-13 11:35 AM (#24041 - in reply to #23875)

In light of Cherry's(Hi by the way!) health conditons, I would have to recommend finding a teacher who is very well trained and experienced to deal with such conditions.....and, if you can find an Iyengar teacher, you can be pretty confident that you will be OK. Not to say that teachers who aren't Iyengar certified are not worth bothering with, but at least go for a teacher whos backround is Iyengar influenced. My teacher training school is not strictly Iyengar, though they are very much inspired and influenced by his teachings and he has endorsed one of their training books etc....they see themselves more as a general 'hatha' school I suppose, teaching their own "Victor Foundation" approach to teaching, which happens to be very much along the lines of Iyengar with some Sivananda blended in. I would advise not to try Ashtanga Vinyasa, Vinyasa Flow or Power Yoga for anyone just starting out (esp with health problems as well). As I have never experienced Bikram or Anusara I can't really comment......though I would love to try Anusara from what I have read....If you can find a Viniyoga(TKV Deshikarchar) teacher you would be very lucky too......
Just my two penny's worth....
tourist
Posted 2005-05-13 7:02 PM (#24070 - in reply to #24041)

Expert Yogi

loli - BKS Iyengar met Swami Sivananda Radha (as Sivananda disciple and the first woman given the title "swami" in that line) and they apparently absolutely got along famously. There was a special dinner and they were seated next to each other and talked non-stop. Many of my teachers began with Swami Radha so although they are true to the Iyengar path, they have that background. I think it is very compatible and complimetary.

Cyndi - Aha! so I really did have you pegged! Isn't it amazing how much we reveal about ourselves online without necessarily saying everything? Ok, so we're good....for now!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-13 7:07 PM (#24071 - in reply to #24070)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-05-13 7:02 PM

Cyndi - Aha! so I really did have you pegged! Isn't it amazing how much we reveal about ourselves online without necessarily saying everything? Ok, so we're good....for now!

Yes, for now....but, don't get too comfortable, I still got some *stuff* that I would NEVER reveal, NEVER in a million years
tourist
Posted 2005-05-13 7:17 PM (#24074 - in reply to #24071)

Expert Yogi

Oh, we've ALL got those, kiddo....
loli
Posted 2005-05-14 4:44 AM (#24085 - in reply to #24070)

tourist - 2005-05-14 12:02 AM

loli - BKS Iyengar met Swami Sivananda Radha (as Sivananda disciple and the first woman given the title "swami" in that line) and they apparently absolutely got along famously. There was a special dinner and they were seated next to each other and talked non-stop. Many of my teachers began with Swami Radha so although they are true to the Iyengar path, they have that background. I think it is very compatible and complimetary.

Thanks Tourist, that is cool to know!
easternsun
Posted 2005-05-14 4:59 AM (#24086 - in reply to #23875)

i know honey the stripper! she is really nice and she goes to yoga classes five days a week
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)