YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

round yoga rugs and rodney yee
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

sideshow
Posted 2005-05-11 4:37 PM (#23907)
Subject: round yoga rugs and rodney yee

Yeah okay two topics in one post..

I found this site www.yogacards.com and on the videos this guy is doing his vinyasa flow on a nifty round rug thinger, so i was wondering if there are any sites or stores that actually sell round yoga rugs, or if it is just a normal floor rug he decided to use for yoga. I just dont know, but it sure is groovy and i want one....

Also, Im thinkin of pickin up a dvd and have seen alot of rodney yee stuf, seems like he has a dvd for just about anything, I was thinking that am/pm yoga series but when i looked at it he only does a 20 minute "morning" routine and someone else does the "evening" routine.
The thing is, he isnt talked about much on this board, is that because none of you like him or his style or he is just so well versed he doesnt have any scandals going against him to talk abouty ( aka baron baptiste ) any other rodney yee videos to reccomend?

I normally tend to do more than a 20 minute routine in the mornings. SO im sorta thinkin 20 bucks for 20 minutes is kind of a joke. eh...thoughts, comments, opinions are always welcome..

Edited by sideshow 2005-05-11 4:38 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurajhawk
Posted 2005-05-11 4:46 PM (#23909 - in reply to #23907)
Subject: RE: round yoga rugs and rodney yee

I got the AM/PM yoga DVD "for free" when I joined a book club ... I do like it, but it's not $20 worth of video. I really like Rodney Yee's "Power Yoga: Total Body" (one hour, aptly named) and also his "Strength & Energy" DVD. "Strength & Energy" is two completely different programs (used to be two VHS tapes); "Strength" is a two-part practice (or two short practices) with balancing and inversion prep, about 70 min. total; "Energy" is a really cool 5-part program -- each part stands alone, or you can do the whole thing as a 45-minute practice (or mix & match -- I get a nice 30-min practice from the first, second and fourth segments). In "Energy" there is no instruction or chatter; just cues for each pose.

I think Yee started as an Iyengar student but has moved towards a varied/eclectic style. I generally like him but wouldn't assume that all his videos would be right for me. I have a "Yoga for Back Care" video he did which is kind of boring (I got it for my husband who has back problems) and also uses too many props for me.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-11 4:57 PM (#23911 - in reply to #23907)

I started with a lot of Rodney's videos when I was a brand new yoga-er! The AM one is REALLY REALLY gentle! Unless you are VERY new, or VERY tired, you will probably be bored. The PM one I think is from Suzanne Deason, but I didn't use that as much because my hubby likes to watch TV in the evenings (and by TV I do not mean a yoga video!).

For morning, I preferred Rodney's Yoga for Abs or Power Yoga for Beginners. Yoga for Abs was one of my favorites! You start out lying on the floor, which is pretty excellent when you first wake up. It really helped me get from being completely tired and unmotivated to standing up straight and feeling energetic. The Power Yoga one has several different practices on it, I used the Stamina version the most. It's mainly 20-25 minutes of sun salutations with variations, to get your blood pumping but not too shockingly after just rolling out of bed.

I don't know if people hate him or not - I hear he can be a diva, but I don't know that there's much argument with his yogic style. Personally I think he could stand to describe some of the poses a little better for beginners, but that's me. If you know the poses pretty well, it won't be an issue.

As DVD's go, you might also check into Suzanne Deason's Yoga for Weight Loss. Even if you don't want to lose weight, it's a nice practice. I love Shiva Rea's Shakti Yoga DVD, that's pretty sweet. The basic sequence would be perfect for any time of day, and there are more advanced sequences, plus once you get the hang of it you can program it to run your own personal sequence using the "yoga matrix" feature. Ooo, technology!

Happy shopping!
sideshow
Posted 2005-05-11 5:06 PM (#23913 - in reply to #23907)

Ive actually read through his (rodney yee's) moving toward balance book, and his little intro says that he used to be a ballet dancer and wanted something "more" so a fellow dancer and him took a yoga class in the studio upstairs from theirs and he pretty much fell in love with yoga ( im taking this outta context, so pardon me if i missed something.. )

I may check out that Power and Energy dvd, Im leaning towards getting some yoga stuff for my birthday that is hitting in june. Im just not sure WHAT exactly im going to get, maybe a dvd a mat and perhaps some money for classes. I really cant say Im sure as to what yet. Anyways...thanks for your review.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-11 5:07 PM (#23914 - in reply to #23907)

P.S. I like the Energy one too! I just couldn't remember the name, so I didn't say anything!
sideshow
Posted 2005-05-11 5:14 PM (#23915 - in reply to #23907)

haha, sorry jean i was posting as you were ( obviously ), thanks for your input, im not sure if i am ready to buy into "power yoga" really, unless rodney yee's version ( as well as others ) isnt connected with the *ahem* trademarked version of mr. baptiste. On that note, does anyone know if this is indeed the case?

I also suppose I should have elaborated on what im looking for accomplishing from my yoga practice:

Better Alignment/Posture

A toned physique - the goal here is a david swenson/rodney yee type of look ( i know this will quite possibly take YEARS to accomplish )

ENERGY to do all of my day to day activities such as work, kids, cleaning house ( which im horrible at )

Something that will help with the chronic pain in my lower neck/shoulder area ( probably will do a NEW post on this at one point. )

Hrmm..is that to much? I suppose 4 isnt too bad..oh yeah plus all the "enlightening" properties which im already starting to get with what im doing now, so i see it as in expanding my practice to encompass more of my goals I will in turn expand my enlightenment experiences.
tourist
Posted 2005-05-11 6:49 PM (#23924 - in reply to #23915)
Subject: RE: round yoga rugs and rodney

Expert Yogi

Sideshow - yes, Rodney did have some scandals and some people have written him off for that. I looked at the book and it is really, really good. There is only a tiny mention of BKS Iyengar in the back, which is a shame since he is so very obviously still hugely influenced by him. Rodney's alignment is pretty much perfect (though I only saw his videos a few years ago - I may be pickier now that I have more experience ) so if you emulate that you'll be only doing yourself good, I think.

Yoga (sticky) mats as we know them were originally made of European carpet underlayment so all you have to do is get your hands on a full sized sheet of it and cut out whatever shape suits your fancy. Where to get it I have NO idea. Was it a sticky mat or a rug that you saw? Round rugs are much easier to find. Let us know how your search goes!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-11 8:12 PM (#23933 - in reply to #23924)
Subject: RE: round yoga rugs and rodney

Expert Yogi

I've heard mixed stuff about Mr. Yee, which I won't repeat here. I will say that
I've seen his photos in the Yoga Journal Coffee Table Book (they call it "Yoga",
I think...the black-and-white one with Patricia Walden on the cover). His Parivrtta
Trikonasana IS just about perfect, as I recall, at least in the hips which is what I'm
usually thinking about in that pose. His Astavakrasana puzzles me, however, since he
does not appear to be in the full pose! Are there other photos of him there?...I'd have
to go look, but those are the two that occur to me. Photographically, he looks
much softer than the other men in the book, like Tony Sanchez or Richard Freeman
or Dharma Mittra, and I suspect that is why Yoga Journal features him so often.
JackieCat
Posted 2005-05-11 8:47 PM (#23936 - in reply to #23907)

Extreme Veteran

I went to a workshop with Rodney Yee and I was kind of disappointed. There was nothing specific that I could put my finger on; I guess I just didn't resonate with him. A friend and fellow instructor who I really respect went to the same workshop and she loved him. He was a little snippety with one of the other attendees, which kind of turned me off. I don't know- I guess I've just had really good experiences and really enjoyed the classes/workshops I've taken with other famous yogis (Baron Baptiste, Erich Schiffmann, Ana Forrest) and with Rodney I was underwhelmed.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)