YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fidgety during savasana?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-15 11:18 AM (#24124)
Subject: Fidgety during savasana?

Well, I'm more or less a fidgety person in my daily life anyway... so I do struggle during savasana to keep still.  Sometimes I can do it from the outset, and other times I fidget througout, or at least until near the end (of course, this varies depending on how long the savasana is...)  I find that I have to concentrate fiercely on being still.

So is this common or unusual?  Do others of you have or have had this "problem"?  Or is it just a normal part of learning in the practice of yoga?

Curious,

Echo

Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2005-05-15 1:11 PM (#24126 - in reply to #24124)
Subject: RE: Fidgety during savasana?

I'd say it depends, Echo. I'm a very nervous person myself and often encounter problems lying still. On these occasions nothing seems to be right, it itches here, it itches there, there's a frog in my throat, my head isn't lying comfy on the mat, my shirt is rippling in a way that it hurts and so on and so on. And just when you think that everything is in order, some stupid fly decides to land on your nose.
So I try to correct everything, creating new problems on the way. I think these are perfect occasions to practice self-control and I get the idea that savasana is a real yoga asana that has to be practiced to be mastered.
Sometimes savasana is easy, everything is fine and I could just spend hours in motionless relaxation. But that only happens when I'm very tired and then I have a problem concentrating on the teachers voice and my mind is wandering off.
To answer your question, yes I think that it's quite common to encounter problems when trying to relax. That's the reason why savasana is regarded as a "normal" yoga asana. Relaxing body and mind is a conscious effort and therefore it must be practiced.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-15 2:02 PM (#24127 - in reply to #24126)

afroyogi - . On these occasions nothing seems to be right, it itches here, it itches there, there's a frog in my throat, my head isn't lying comfy on the mat, my shirt is rippling in a way that it hurts and so on and so on. And just when you think that everything is in order, some stupid fly decides to land on your nose.

YES!!!!!  PRECISELY!!!!  LOL  Really it's maddening sometimes - one buttock goes this way, one that, then my spine isn't perfectly straight, then I have to stretch my heels a little further - ad nauseum...

I think these are perfect occasions to practice self-control and I get the idea that savasana is a real yoga asana that has to be practiced to be mastered.

I think you're exactly right... I wondered if it was just me (I do have these anxiety issues, and people have commented to me in the course of things how fidgety I am...) or if it was something just to be worked through.  I'm relieved by your reply!

Namaste!

Echo

tourist
Posted 2005-05-15 4:13 PM (#24131 - in reply to #24127)

Expert Yogi

Echo - fidgety savasanas do happen sometimes but there are a few practice ideas that can help. First, if you have done a lot of backbending or a very energetic practice, do a bunch of twists to help bring the spine back to "neutral" then a long shoulderstand, plough, viparita karani or setu bandha. If that doesn't settle you, do some forward bends with your head on something like a chair seat or even sit cross legged near a wall and rest your forehead on the wall for a bit. More help needed? Put some blankets or something heavy on your thighs to ground them (remember the dentist's lead blanket thread?), make sure your chin is at least level to the floor or maybe put a little blanket under your head so the chin is a bit lower than your forehead. Or use an eyerest
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-15 8:23 PM (#24138 - in reply to #24131)

Expert Yogi

Or better yet...do a full Bikram series practice...you won't fidget, you will be in literally what Bikram calls it...DEAD MAN'S POSE, heeheehee
leela
Posted 2005-05-15 9:46 PM (#24140 - in reply to #24124)

i don't usually encounter problems during savasana unless it goes on too long--then i get a bit impatient

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-15 10:20 PM (#24149 - in reply to #24138)

Cyndi - 2005-05-15 8:23 PM Or better yet...do a full Bikram series practice...you won't fidget, you will be in literally what Bikram calls it...DEAD MAN'S POSE, heeheehee

LOL!  I've been there with a few power yoga workouts & know what you mean, Cyndi!  Actually I really like that feeling - that you've wrung all you can get from yourself at the moment and just collapse there!  I don't fidget then, but I'm not always able to work myself that hard

Tourist - thanks so much for the different ideas - I'll give them a try   I had to laugh - after posting this today I actually fell ASLEEP during savasana!  ROFL!!!!!  That's happened once before, but it's much more common for me to fidget than sleep - I'd much prefer a "happy medium"!

Hugs,

Echo

tourist
Posted 2005-05-16 12:35 AM (#24159 - in reply to #24149)

Expert Yogi

LOL - fidgeting=rajasic (energized), sleep=tamasic (inertia), savasana=satvic (as Goldilocks would say, "juuuuuust right!"
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-16 1:11 AM (#24163 - in reply to #24124)

Boy, ya got that right!   It's just so much easier said than done sometimes, isn't it?!

Orbilia
Posted 2005-05-16 5:22 AM (#24166 - in reply to #24163)

I get the same issues. I find that it happens less if I've done enough asana work first though. Also, other resting postures can be used if you find corpse pose too achy. I'm currently getting over an SI injury and still find it uncomfortable to be flat on my back for any length of time (no pain, just the fitgetty aches). So, sometimes I do the face down version of corpse pose or lie on my side with something soft supporting me where necessary.

Fee
redtail
Posted 2005-05-16 6:13 AM (#24167 - in reply to #24166)

After my normal ashtanga series, which takes about 45 minutes, I enjoy doing Savasana. I can take the time to notice how my energy level is slowly returning to normal. I can also notice the little "buzz" of energy that seems to be hanging around just outside of my body. It feels as though my aura has "practiced" also.

I also notice the irregularity in the symmetry of my body. One foot naturally turns slightly more outward than the other, one leg is slightly longer than the other (and my hips have adjusted accordingly), etc.

Since Savasana is Dead Man's Pose, I use this opportunity to reflect on my own death and the impermanence of everything, but especially of our own lives. Sometimes I even "practice" going through the different stages of a peaceful death. It might sound morbid to some, but I feel that it is a great way to understand and appreciate more about life.

Namaste
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-16 10:49 AM (#24174 - in reply to #24124)

It's not called the "hardest pose in yoga" for nothing! As hard as it is to keep the body still, it is MUCH harder to keep the mind still. It just takes practice. You wouldn't be concerned if your bakasana(grrr) was not perfect the first 2500 times you tried it. With savasana it is the same.

I have found the "continuous breath" focus that we discussed in another thread sometime ago is a very useful technique! Normally my Saturday morning students are very energetic, fidgety, ready to pop right up and start their weekend activities. After suggesting that they focus on that, I can hardly get them up in time to make room for the next class!
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-16 10:59 AM (#24175 - in reply to #24174)

jeansyoga - 2005-05-16 10:49 AM It's not called the "hardest pose in yoga" for nothing! As hard as it is to keep the body still, it is MUCH harder to keep the mind still. It just takes practice. You wouldn't be concerned if your bakasana(grrr) was not perfect the first 2500 times you tried it. With savasana it is the same.

You've got a darn good point there, Jean!  I won't be quite so hard on myself about it after the responses in thread, as I see I'm definitely not alone here! 

belovedofthegod
Posted 2005-05-16 3:16 PM (#24192 - in reply to #24124)

Hello Echo,

Is the problem that you are too restless to keep still or that your body make jerking movements? Jerkings movements are a good sign that the body is getting rid of tensions (and the energy channels are clearing too). It means that some parts of your body have been effected by the practice whilst others have been effected less so these move to be as relaxed as the other parts. So if they move on their own, let it happen.

On the other hand if you are restless and move intentionally, then one has to put effort and keep still. To avoid sleeping while keeping very relaxed, you can hold your awareness and passively watch thoughts and other mental activity. After asana practice the mind should be more tranquil and when there are less thoughts you can watch them more thoroughly, don't fight them just watch them.

Redtail,

"Since Savasana is Dead Man's Pose, I use this opportunity to reflect on my own death and the impermanence of everything, but especially of our own lives. Sometimes I even "practice" going through the different stages of a peaceful death. It might sound morbid to some, but I feel that it is a great way to understand and appreciate more about life."

This is wonderful. If you are interested, there is a practice in both the Vijnanabhairava Tantra and Kaulajnananirnaya where you visualize your body being burnt, starting from the right toe. If you can very vividly visualize the the fire rising and really feel that your body is being turned into ashes, your impurities being burnt away and only your awareness remaining, then it is a very good contemplative practice. Of course, instead you can keep doing what you are doing now, which is also very good; this is just another technique,

Regards.
DownwardDog
Posted 2005-05-16 3:45 PM (#24198 - in reply to #24124)

Maybe it's less important to be perfectly straight than to be relaxed and tranquil . I try not to worry about my posture too much, I sort myself out at the begining and then leave it and concentrate on my breath.
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-16 4:05 PM (#24199 - in reply to #24192)

Nope, no jerking (although I do experience that sometimes before going to sleep - in bed, not by accident during savasana! ) just restlessness that I suspect I need to work on with focus.

belovedofthegod - there is a practice in both the Vijnanabhairava Tantra and Kaulajnananirnaya where you visualize your body being burnt, starting from the right toe. If you can very vividly visualize the the fire rising and really feel that your body is being turned into ashes, your impurities being burnt away and only your awareness remaining, then it is a very good contemplative practice.

shockedEgad...! Granted, I was an anthropology major in college and try to be very open-minded about different ways and cultures... this one just really caught me off-guard!  Please excuse my jaw hanging open!  (ie, verymuchinshockasana... do not attempt this on your own, folks!)

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-16 4:12 PM (#24201 - in reply to #24124)

Actually, that jerking just before sleep is a totally natural electric brain response to falling asleep. I learned that watching House M.D.! Great show, when I'm not entranced by The Amazing Race!

As for the dying visualizations, these are VERY interesting and valuable practices (thank you for bringing that up, Beloved!). I just finished reading "A Year To Live" by Stephen Levine and it was full of amazing ideas like that. Fascinating reading, makes you think about looking at your world in a whole new way. I highly recommend it!
tourist
Posted 2005-05-16 7:03 PM (#24215 - in reply to #24198)

Expert Yogi

Downward Dog - you probably aren't going to ever be "perfectly" straight but aligning yourself well for savasana IS important. Lying the way you are most comfortable often ends up with you lying in a position you like to sleep in - not good! We are hoping to bring relaxation, not sleep during savasana. All yoga poses, including savasana are ways of taking the body out of its normal, routine way of being and into unity. Lying carefully down into the pose will help with that
afroyogi
Posted 2005-05-16 7:09 PM (#24216 - in reply to #24124)

Echo, about that not being alone issue I can tell you what happened just the other day. When you're down in savasana there's not much opportunity to watch how the rest of the class is doing. So a few weeks ago, after savasana, the teacher told us that we really creeped her out. She said it was the most fidgeting class she ever encountered. I noticed that at least I was goofing around but she told us that not a single one of us managed to lay still for more than a few seconds. And we were like 20 people in that class! It reminded her of an ants colony. Yah, you're definately not alone!

And the jerking thing before sleeping: I heard that it's a natural alarm system that lives in our biology and reaches way back when we were still sleeping in the trees. Waking yourself up by jerking keeps you from falling down and get mauled by the sabretooth tigers.

Edited by afroyogi 2005-05-16 7:13 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-05-16 10:19 PM (#24223 - in reply to #24216)

Expert Yogi

Hmmmm - afro, if I saw my class do that I would take a good hard look at what and how I taught that day. Plus check to see if there were some sort of bugs on the floor I hadn't noticed! I love it when I start to talk a class into savasana (and this only usually happens with fairly experienced students) and realise I have to stop and be quiet because they are already "there."
belovedofthegod
Posted 2005-05-17 4:49 AM (#24227 - in reply to #24124)

JY,

"As for the dying visualizations, these are VERY interesting and valuable practices (thank you for bringing that up, Beloved!). I just finished reading "A Year To Live" by Stephen Levine and it was full of amazing ideas like that. Fascinating reading, makes you think about looking at your world in a whole new way. I highly recommend it!"

Its a bit ironic because one of the reasons many people do yoga is to improve their bodies. So after spending an hour improving this body, you just kill it!

Regards.

Edited by belovedofthegod 2005-05-17 4:49 AM
Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-17 12:00 PM (#24241 - in reply to #24216)

afroyogi - And the jerking thing before sleeping: I heard that it's a natural alarm system that lives in our biology and reaches way back when we were still sleeping in the trees. Waking yourself up by jerking keeps you from falling down and get mauled by the sabretooth tigers.

ROFLMAO!!!!!  lmao

You know, this is probably true - one of those evolutionary holdovers from prehistoric days... it's just mighty funny the way you put it!

I will definitely take care not to fall out of my tree - heck, it's bad enough to fall out (OUCH!) let alone to find a sabretooth tiger waiting for you at the bottom!

Empress Echo
Posted 2005-05-17 12:02 PM (#24242 - in reply to #24227)

belovedofthegod - Its a bit ironic because one of the reasons many people do yoga is to improve their bodies. So after spending an hour improving this body, you just kill it! Regards.

LOL!  You've got a good point there, Beloved!

Hugs,

Echo

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)