YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Newbie with a quick question!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

Jules
Posted 2005-05-24 3:57 PM (#24605)
Subject: Newbie with a quick question!

Hi guys!

I've been doing pilates (winsor pilates to be exact), for about a week now. I've been following the Accelerated 1 day, 20 minutes the next routine which is suggested in the programme, however, the first few days after I'd done it, I hurt like hell! Now though, I feel back to normal!
Is this normal, or are you supposed to ache a little after every session? Just so I know I'm doing it right!

Thanks guys, Jules xxx
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-24 4:01 PM (#24607 - in reply to #24605)
Subject: RE: Newbie with a quick question!

Tell us where it hurts!

When you say "hurt" or "ache", I'm hoping you're referring to muscle soreness from working out? If so, that is normal when you first start exercising a dormant area of the body (i.e. abs). The soreness is very likely to stop once you do the exercises regularly and build up the strength.

If you are having joint pain or back pain, your form is likely not correct and you should take a session with a live teacher to be sure that you don't hurt yourself.

If instead this seems to be deep abdominal pain unrelated to muscle soreness, see your doctor!
Jules
Posted 2005-05-24 4:06 PM (#24608 - in reply to #24605)

Oh God! No, no, no! I just meant my muscles! Like, I was feeling muscles I'd never felt before, nothing serious! Although I did swear my head off the morning after I'd done my first session!

I was just wondering wether or not I was supposed to be feeling sort of "back to normal" after only one week? Imediately after I do a session I feel a lot more taller, and my legs feel much tighter, however the pain has completely gone away. I was just wondering whether it was normal to feel like this, or should I still be experiencing some aches and pains. (Good work out aches and pains that is!)
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-24 4:15 PM (#24612 - in reply to #24605)

Phew!

No, muscle soreness generally only lasts a few days or so. Plus, once you get used to it, the muscles will not be so sore afterward because they are getting regular use. Feeling taller and more toned will not go away though, those benefits will last! Over time you may also find your belly getting flatter!

Your muscles may feel tired after each session, which is good - if there is no challenge and it gets boring, it might be time to move on to more intermediate exercises. But, the beauty of Pilates is that there is always a way to find new challenges in the exercises. It works on the principles of internal resistance, so the more strength you build, the more ability you have to deepen the resistance and make the exercises "harder" - thus getting more and more benefit out of each workout.

How do you like it so far? I really enjoy Pilates!
Jules
Posted 2005-05-24 4:24 PM (#24613 - in reply to #24605)

Thanks for your answers! Really appreciate it!

I'm actually loving pilates! For the most past it just gives me a chance to not think about what's going on in my life and just concentrate on something else. Some time to myself is the most positve thing I'm getting out of it! I just got a little worried when the pain went away! I'm a bit daft though! I'm finding some of the exercises very difficult, mainly because I have weak knees and can't straighten my legs properly, (they're a little tense), however I'm sure after a few weeks and some effot on my part I will gradually be able to do all of the exercises without much difficulty. When that happens I might invest in a pilates book and experiment with some new positions! Slow and steady wins the race!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-24 4:29 PM (#24614 - in reply to #24605)

I highly recommend "Pilates: Body in Motion" by Alycea Ungaro. It's an excellent resource! I have also just ordered "The Pilates Promise" by the same author after looking through it in the bookstore. She's quite an expert, and everything is explained very clearly.

Good luck, and have fun!!!
Jules
Posted 2005-05-24 4:30 PM (#24615 - in reply to #24605)

Thank you! You're a star!
Jules
Posted 2005-06-16 7:36 PM (#25836 - in reply to #24605)

Thought I'd update everyone on my progress so far, (if anyone is interested), I've been doing it for nearly 5 weeks now and I have lost inches off everywhere!!! I've also bought "Pilates: Body in Motion" by Alycea Ungaro, which was recomended, and although it is used as a bedtime read for the moment, I'll be attempting some of the pilates ideas suggested in the near future.

I do have one more favour to ask. Does anyone know what the best arm exercises are in pilates??? I'm in the UK and don't have access to a studio, (because there aren't any), and I'm very interested in strengthening, toning and trimming the inches off my tree trunk arms. I know mari winsor has an upper body workout video out at the moment, but unfortunately it is not yet available in Europe.

Many thanks and keep going!

Jules xxx
reinbeau
Posted 2005-06-17 5:26 AM (#25853 - in reply to #24605)
Subject: RE: Newbie with a quick questi

Jules, I've found the best are Pilates pushups.   They focus on the triceps (and core strength).
Orbilia
Posted 2005-06-17 6:36 AM (#25854 - in reply to #25853)
Subject: RE: Newbie with a quick questi

Ref : Classes - The UK governing body for Pilates has a class finder on their web-site.

http://www.pilatesfoundation.com/

I've not used it myself so I can't say how useful the info is.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-06-17 6:36 AM
Jules
Posted 2005-06-17 7:00 AM (#25855 - in reply to #24605)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

*Checks out website*
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-06-17 7:30 AM (#25857 - in reply to #24605)

When you're doing The Hundred, make sure you're pumping the arms vigorously and reaching through the fingertips. Do this every day and it will help to sculpt your shoulders.

Pilates push-ups are fantastic for the triceps and the chest! Tricep dips are great too, though not necessarily Pilates-based. From a seated position, hang onto the edge of a sturdy chair plant your feet a few feet in front. Then dip your whole body down toward the floor and lift it back up using just the strength in your arms.

For an added core workout, try doing tricep dips on a balance ball! It's a challenge!
Jules
Posted 2005-06-18 5:46 PM (#25894 - in reply to #24605)

Thanks again! I already do the chair dips, and it's helping a lot.....I can feel my muscles getting tighter and more sculpted, but I think it'll take longer to see the results because I need to lose some weight off them as well. Just a case of the rest of my body playing catch up. My boyfriend can actually use two stools and dip with his feet elevated off the floor and his ankles crossed! Good luck to him on that, I'll stick with your suggestions!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)