YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and Community
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-26 10:53 PM (#24706)
Subject: Yoga and Community

Expert Yogi

Our yoga classes often lead to communities of a sort. We get to know
other people in the classes, we practice together, maybe chant together,
and we get to know each other's strengths and challenges.

These communities are spontaneous and evanescent. We don't know the
names (or full names) of most of the people with whom we practice, the
group is constantly shifting, and we don't usually interact a whole lot beyond
the class time or on other personal, non-yoga matters.

It seems to me a lost opportunity. Yoga is so much more than a few hours
spent on asanas. We have the opportunity to support one another in a
fuller practice of the philosophy of yoga and its application to our daily
world. How do we find a community that will truly engage yoga at its
fundamental level?

I've seen so many yoga workshops and retreats --- and products -- that hint
that they'll provide this fundamental support and direction. Usually, what you
get is a bit of atmosphere with no coherence and no serious effort to develop
a group dialog or dialetic on substantive matters.

I have taken classes that devote time to serious discussion of yoga philosophy,
which is quite useful, but I have not found a vehicle to go from such discussion
to an active community. I mean, I really haven't found any organized community
of this sort, where yogis talk and live yoga, which you might use to support your
efforts to develop yoga as a central part of your life. Travelling to an Ashram doesn't
quite do it, really, because that's an extraordinary event, rather than ordinary part of
your life.

Perhaps what I am really asking is whether we need "church" for yogis? But "church" sounds
like ritual and dogma, rather than a flow of ideas and help in applying yoga on a day
to day basis. Perhaps a graduate-level education in yoga? It seems that we have to
follow the path mainly on our own...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-27 9:56 AM (#24714 - in reply to #24706)
Subject: RE: Yoga and Community

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2005-05-26 10:53 PM

Perhaps what I am really asking is whether we need "church" for yogis? But "church" sounds
like ritual and dogma, rather than a flow of ideas and help in applying yoga on a day
to day basis. Perhaps a graduate-level education in yoga? It seems that we have to
follow the path mainly on our own...

Well, BG, I think Yoga is a personal experience and the idea of having to be a part of any organization or gathering where Yoga is concerned makes me cringe, want to crawl in a little hole and die! Its bad enough that we live in a world with dictatorship on so many subtle levels...but to have my yoga practice invaded is like a sin. I'd rather be alone any day - every day, all my life than have to deal with a church like setting. IMHO, true liberation is being able to sit with yourself and be still for many hours, days, years...without being dependent on the world - except for your basic needs for survival such as food, water and shelter. Personally I always have this dream of living in a natural world, a big earth and the only humans allowed are of like-mind totally, lots of animals and birds, the space to breathe and Time does not exist - another words, no clocks allowed only the Gong Players to remind us of the important things
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-05-27 10:45 AM (#24716 - in reply to #24714)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - 2005-05-27 9:56 AM

Well, BG, I think Yoga is a personal experience and the idea of having to be a part of any organization or gathering where Yoga is concerned makes me cringe, want to crawl in a little hole and die! Its bad enough that we live in a world with dictatorship on so many subtle levels...but to have my yoga practice invaded is like a sin.

I tend you agree with you about my practice of asana, pranayamana, pratyahara, and so on,
but I'm also thinking about the social structure within which we live. I don't want to be like
some monk sitting on Skellig Michael so that nobody will bother my personal practice. I want
to live my life out in the world and to be in a community of folks who share my beliefs
and goals. I want to find a community of people who talk about yoga theory and philosophy.
That's kind of hard to find on an ongoing basis!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-05-27 11:09 AM (#24719 - in reply to #24706)

I would love to be part of a larger yoga community . . . in a way, that's why I'm here on these forums! It's hard to discuss yogic ideas (even as they do not specifically relate to asana, pranayama, etc) with work friends and other casual acquaintances. Definitely doesn't work for most family gatherings either!

When I was at TT it was a breath of fresh air, all these like-minded souls together in one place. It's not that we talked about yoga all the time, but we all sort of had general belief systems of health and compassion and respect for others. You felt like you could let down your guard with these folks, you felt protected and loved unconditionally. I imagine that's what Christians must feel like at church - I've never personally felt like that in an organized religious setting, but I can see what you mean by the analogy.

So how can we facilitate this sort of thing in the community? I would really like that!
easternsun
Posted 2005-05-27 11:38 AM (#24724 - in reply to #24706)

i guess that is why i post here when i can -- to be able to reach out and share with other like-minded individuals.

i am just really happy to have met (sort of) you folks -- grateful for this site and the knowledge and advice at my fingertips.

nice post bay guy. i wish i could add more!

thank goodness i check because i inevitably type yor name as bad gay! oooops!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-05-27 7:20 PM (#24731 - in reply to #24716)

Expert Yogi

Bay Guy - 2005-05-27 10:45 AM

I don't want to be like
some monk sitting on Skellig Michael so that nobody will bother my personal practice. I want
to live my life out in the world and to be in a community of folks who share my beliefs
and goals. I want to find a community of people who talk about yoga theory and philosophy.
That's kind of hard to find on an ongoing basis!

BG, I understand you, really I do. When I first started this path I was so lonely and wanted to share my life with others. I actually expected it to happen. I even had all these plans about starting my own community and retreat centers for others to come to. Well, it never did happen like that. My experience and belief is that our world was not meant to be that way - perfect, with like-minded souls and such. Yes, I know there are retreat centers that advertise the perfect world of yoga and such, but that is not reality because you eventually have to go home and deal with your world and THE world. I believe that the challenge is what is necessary in order for us to become enlightened. Another words we are not suppose to get comfortable - with anything! Sure, it would be nice to have a gathering, but always remember when two or more are gathered it always becomes an organization of some kind and like the world needs another group, another community. I say, why not deal with our present groups, present family situations and be an example to them, that way the community will *naturally* form itself without forcing it upon anyone or forcing an organization. This was the conclusion I came to and it really works. You would be so surprised at how many people you can influence on a daily basis...just by being present and aware. Good luck finding that community. Oh yea, when you get older and decide to withdraw and renounce the world...you may want to reconsider being a monk on a mountain top, meanwhile, it is perfectly okay to live your life in the world...of course, that is our job for now and how it is traditionally done in Hindu culture
tourist
Posted 2005-05-31 7:31 PM (#24855 - in reply to #24731)

Expert Yogi

This is one of the reasons we formed our centre as a non-profit. The community existed before we opened the centre and came into being because the members of the community wanted a place to practice and discuss yoga, philosophy, etc. Privately owned studios may or may not support that type of community. I have seen some that do and many that don't. People who come to our centre and others like it often remark that it feels different and that they enjoy the feeling of being somewhere that has that sense of belonging.

One way to get that going is to just start a discussion group. See if your studio will allow you to put up a poster and have a topic ready to discuss. If you can use the studio space free or cheap, great. If not, have a few people over after class or even just a few get together at a coffee shop for an hour or so. Sometimes studio owners simply don't know there is an interest or don't have time or energy to do that sort of thing.
elson
Posted 2005-06-05 3:33 AM (#25077 - in reply to #24706)

Well, here's a perspective from the Christian faith.

The word most often used for the "church" in the Bible is ecclesia (more or less), which means a group of people called out of the larger group for a particular purpose. So in essence, a Christian church is not a building or a denomination or a specific theology. All these things are important, but the essence of a church is a group united by divine calling, purpose, and togetherness.

The Christian church has other uses, of course, but that's another post...

One result of a healthy church is growing interpersonal relationships, that manifest in spending time together, getting to know one another better, and loving one another in practical matters, like helping each other in ways spiritual and temporal. These relationships become koinonea (another misspelled transliterated Greek word :-), a love for one another that is the result of a mystical one-ness or bond through the Holy Spirit, who is God living in each Christian. So in essence, God living in the individual Christians, binds us together with the other in our local church.

So, dragging this Christian theology lesson back onto topic, we can plant, nurture, and grow an ecclesia in the yoga studio. First comes acknowledgement and enlargement of the group identity that comes from practicing yoga. Building upon that would be teaching and celebrating loving one another. Building upon that might be encouraging social gatherings at the studio, and at yogi's houses (or wherever).

But if you want to maintain a group for any length of time, with any strength, it needs to be outward-focused. This would be difficult for most of the yogis that I know, who think in self-centered terms most of the time. Many yoga meditations are built on the idea of loving yourself first, and then letting that flow out to others. Unfortunately, that bit of pop psychology is just an ancient selfishness in a new dress, and somehow the loving yourself never gets full enough to overflow into service to others... But I digress...

Anyway, if you can get the studio or group to begin to do service projects - actual hands-on work, like volunteering as a group to work at various charities or community projects - then the group bonding will become very strong.

People and groups are more fulfilled and joyful in giving than in receiving.

In the "For What it's Worth" column :-).
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-05 8:08 AM (#25080 - in reply to #25077)

Expert Yogi

Thanks, Elson. This is exactly what I meant when I used the word "church" up above...a
community bonded by common belief with an active role in the lives of its members and
their millieu.

I'd add that I've also seen the self-absorption you mentioned (how often do we hear
yogis waxing on about "my practice"?), but the other side of that is Karma Yoga or yoga
through selfless service. Karma yoga is discussed in the Bhagavad Gita, but it is not
(to my knowledge) mentioned in the Yoga Sutras which define Raja Yoga (and of which
physical or Hatha yoga is a subset).
tourist
Posted 2005-06-05 12:05 PM (#25090 - in reply to #25077)

Expert Yogi

Unfortunately, that bit of pop psychology is just an ancient selfishness in a new dress, and somehow the loving yourself never gets full enough to overflow into service to others... But I digress...

elson - I hate to sound like a cynic, but the Christian system of "loving thy neighbour as thyself" rarely seems to fall too far from the tree, either. I think the problem lies at least partially in the enormity of the human ego and a complete and almost purposeful ignorance of the meaning of the word "love" in all belief systems. Yogis become self-absorbed and Christians love their neighbour just as long as the neighbour attends the same church. It is a universal problem!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-06-05 1:16 PM (#25096 - in reply to #25090)

Expert Yogi

I think in order to have any kind of community you need to have leadership and guidance from an authentic source...which is so rare and almost impossible these days. If you don't, it gets very boring and then the fights break out over arguments and then it breaks up, yadda yadda.

I remember this church we went to as a child. A Baptist one. The church was huge with thousands of members. My Daddy was a Deacon Anyway, these people invested thousands of dollars into this beautiful gigantic place of a church, with a Christian school (which I attended until 7th grade) and was nationally known back in the 70's. It was a great concept, the church members were very close and I had some great childhood memories and friends. Well, this went on for several years until they had a disagreement. The preacher was accused of having an affair, spending the money, etc. everything that could go wrong did. Then half the members left and went and formed their own church. It was very confusing as a innocent child to see this happening among adults. Needless to say, both churches ended up splitting up and everyone went their separate ways. To this day I will always remember the sense of community that did take place there and all the wonderful things I learned...the reality is that nothing is perfect and humans need to find a way to respect each other's differences and at the same time practice what they preach...this includes yoga communities as well. I've seen so many different Yoga, Buddhist communities that go through all these things and I laugh at the ones who talk this talk in the temple/center, then go out into the world and live a lie. This should be under the thread from yesterday that disappeared...Practicing our Yoga...this includes getting along with our communties - whether it be Yoga or basically involved in whatever we are doing (i.e. animals too)...yoga related or not.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-05 2:42 PM (#25103 - in reply to #25090)

Expert Yogi

Glenda, your new avatar confused me totally. I thought I was reading a post
by Brother Bruce, which surprised me since he doesn't frequent this forum!

tourist
Posted 2005-06-05 4:13 PM (#25110 - in reply to #25103)

Expert Yogi

Hee hee! I have been meaning to do this for ages and finally decided today was the day. Unfortunately I ended up doing it all by myself so hopping in and out of the tub, trying to not drip water on the camera, getting in position before the timer went off etc. was a bit of a Keystone Kops routine! There are a couple of good variations on the theme that I might use some day and a couple of "outtakes", including one where I am not in the picture at all. Note the classy beer sleeve instead of a nasty ole can like Bruce has in his photo...
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-05 9:05 PM (#25131 - in reply to #25110)

Expert Yogi

Maybe I can pose Sri Ganesha in a hot tub for my new avatar...
CGG
Posted 2005-06-06 12:21 AM (#25135 - in reply to #24706)

It sounds like you're looking for a Kula. Anusara folks are real big on the concept of Kula.

I'm new to my community so pretty much everyone I know is from the yoga studio. If I run into someone at the store, or the beach it's almost a given that we take yoga together. I've done non-yoga acitivities with more than a few people from my studio. Just this morning I was discussing a possible career move with the owner of the studio.

The anusara focus in my particular studio may have alot to do with that. We're a chatty bunch before and after class, and that kind of interaction is facilitated by most of the teachers. Kula comes up alot during classes.
elson
Posted 2005-06-06 2:51 AM (#25137 - in reply to #25090)

Tourist :-)

Yes, I have learned much about how difficult it is to love one another from watching my co-religionists. And much more from the mirror...:-(.

This is off topic for this thread, but another thread on this topic would be fun :-).
tourist
Posted 2005-06-06 10:27 AM (#25143 - in reply to #25137)

Expert Yogi

Ah elson, you are a believer in what another moderator I know calls "thread hygiene." I think it is fun to let a topic wander all over - until I am the one trying to find the conversation again and keep going on wild goose chases!

I think what my point was is that no belief system on earth as we know it has yet got it "right" as far as living up to their ideals. So either the belief systems are designed wrong for the human race or humans just don't have what it takes to walk the walk as well as talk the talk.

As far as community goes, it really does just take someone to get it going. John and Susan go for coffee every week after class, someone else asks if they can join them, they discuss yoga, form a sutra discussion group or ask for a workshop on sore knees and it goes from there. I would add that this would work MUCH more easily in a studio that does regular weekly classes as opposed to drop-ins. When people congregate on a regular basis, it automatically forms a small bond that is more easily built upon.
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-06-06 6:17 PM (#25162 - in reply to #25143)

" Thread hygeine" LOL...

I have to say that I love the Kula of a particular class that I take.  The "core" of the group have been together for (I think) 5+ years and are all really close.  Recently, the teacher left the studio (that was closing, anyway) that he'd been holding the class in for about 18 months.  We all suggested going to the beach when one couple said "Hey, use our air conditioned warehouse".  YAY! It's been a god send b/c a) It's air conditionned (I live in FL, it's a necessity) and B) the teacher is leasing the space next door and opening his own studio! yay!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)