YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Info/Opinions on Yogafit?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

YogaMommy
Posted 2005-06-28 10:56 AM (#26331 - in reply to #25293)
Subject: RE: New Info/Opinions on Yogafit?

Well, I'm a pretty experienced yogi, and I'm taking Level 1 in August. I've read multiple books on yoga, and have practiced many styles of yoga. I'll let you guys know how it is.....

Carole
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-06-28 4:24 PM (#26366 - in reply to #25293)

i look forward to hearing about your experience.

so far, i haven't attended one myself, and i have no intention of doing so. i'm lucky enough to live near to so many excellent teachers that if i want more training, i can go to them. currently, i'm attending dharma mittra's teacher workshops at his studio in NYC: dharmayogacenter.com. he has a teacher training program for people who aren't teachers as well, but since i'm already a teacher, i get to take the 'extended' program (which is an ongoing program). I really enjoy studying with him.
isha
Posted 2005-07-29 10:58 AM (#28396 - in reply to #25293)

I'm really interested in the whole subject of the yogafit training. I've been teaching yoga for about 11 years after 10 years of study with various teachers in various styles. Yes, I've been a very lucky girl!
I've taught in yoga studios, gyms and spas and yes the class format does change according to your teaching venue.
I've tried some classes in gyms with instructors who obviously did the yogafit training; my main criticism would be a total lack of understanding of yogic breathing. The classes seemed to be loosely based on a vinyasa format but without the phrasing of the movement with the breath. There are concrete physiological benefits that come with the deep breathing, not to mention the aspect of self-observation learned through watching the breath.
Also, ok so this might seem picky for a gym setting, but the yogafit classes lacked that element of stillness essential for asana or "steady seat".
How many of you experienced yogis and yoginis can tell the difference between a yoga teacher who meditates and one who doesn't?
These yogafit instructors were very nice people but not really experienced in YOGA.

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-07-29 10:58 PM (#28448 - in reply to #28396)

Expert Yogi

I can't get past the idea that Yogafit is a kind of tantrum that Yogis throw.
tourist
Posted 2005-07-29 11:36 PM (#28465 - in reply to #28448)
Subject: RE: New Info/Opinions on Yogaf

Expert Yogi

You guys know I work with little kids, right? Every once in a while one of our little folk lies down and has a full fledged, kicking, screaming, spitting, snarling temper tantrum. We pretty much ignore them (except to monitor for safety blah, blah, blah. Don't think we just let kids scream alone in a corner all day, people....) Invariably one of the teachers will look at another nearby adult and say something like, "When is it my turn to do that?"

I'm going to spend the next few days looking for opportunities to have a yoga fit!
YogaMommy
Posted 2005-08-08 11:12 AM (#29184 - in reply to #25293)

I just finished the Yogafit training this weekend. I was very pleased with it, and feel confident to start teaching a basic level class. However, I do have about 7 years of prior yoga experience, which may add to my understanding and confidence.

Overall, I thought the Yogafit training was beyond my expectations. I'm not saying it's as comprehensive as White Lotus, because that's a two week program, but for the time spend it was amazing. I plan on taking other Yogafit trainings.

I wrote more about my experience on the other Yogafit thread.

Carole
yogi-boy
Posted 2005-08-14 9:23 PM (#29829 - in reply to #25293)

I wouldn't confuse Yogafit with anything to do with yoga. It's not a branch of yoga like hatha/kundalini/ashtanga etc.

Yogafit has taken the physical aspect of yoga and modified it for a gym-orientated enviroment. They aren't trained, or interested in the meditation, chanting aspects of yoga but do acknowledge the stress-release benefits of slow-breathing, concious relaxation etc.

The pity is that their name is confusing but their benefits aren't. Ideally it is a stretch class to be marketed towards aerobics-junkies.

As yogis on this site we probaly have purist ideals of what yoga is meant to be- and we enjoy the mechanics that elevate our body/mind/spirit connection but many people aren't interested in the mind/spirit connection but want the enhanced flexibility- so let them do yogafit. They may be tempted to try yoga one day. We all grow as yogis!

Ideally, I would want a Yogafit teacher to have a yoga backgound and not an aerobics instructor masquerading as a yogi.
Kym
Posted 2006-02-23 9:34 PM (#44694 - in reply to #25293)

I have trained level 1 & 2 with YogaFit. I meditate at home. When I teach, I constantly cue for a mind body connection. I was never an aerobics teacher, never in the fitness industry at all. I talk about gratitude for the body and non-judgement in asana. I talk about the breath throughout the class. I am getting more and more afraid to admit I trained with YogaFit. Oh well. I came here to learn and to share ideas. I probably won't mention my training very often b/c I'm really not interested in defending it. I just wanted to put it out there that YF teachers are capable of more than some people think.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-24 11:56 AM (#44776 - in reply to #25293)

I have done yoga for 7 years as a student and took my yoga course being the full 200 hour course, at no point after 16 hours did my teacher say - ok go and only teach these things.

I don't know anything about Yoga Fit - do they make sure the students taking the training are fitness instructors? My main concern is the students safety and the teachers knowledge for variations and/or props.

I would be interested to see some of their videos -without that I really don't have an opinion, as long as the students are safe doing it - it is obviously a program meant completely for the fitness side of yoga... so that is not impressive, but besides that... I guess i don't have an opinion till I see it for my own experience.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-24 12:10 PM (#44779 - in reply to #44694)

Kym -
I probably won't mention my training very often b/c I'm really not interested in defending it. I just wanted to put it out there that YF teachers are capable of more than some people think.

I don't know a thing about YogaFit, but I can identify with what you're saying (only my particular situation deals with something outside of Yoga). In fact, I just said those words..."not interested in defending it." It just gets too tiring.
YogaMommy
Posted 2006-02-25 3:28 PM (#44902 - in reply to #25293)

Funny to see this topic come up again. I'm the one who started this thread way back in August, after I took the Yogafit Level 1 training.

A lot has happened since then. I'm currently enrolled in a different 200-hour teacher training program that is very comprehensive. I've got about 140 hours done in that program, in addition to the Yogafit, and 16 more specialty pre-natal training hours through a Kripalu instructor. So, I pretty much have 200 hours already.

Anyway, as I've received more training and had more experience teaching, I've had more time to reflect on my Yogafit training.

I think Yogafit can be a good basic training program for someone with prior experience, but they are clear that only completing one level of training is only 18 of their 200 hour program. It evens states that on the certificate you receive. You are told you can teach after the Level 1, 18 hour training, but are only supposed to only teach the 30 or so poses they taught you.

The Level 1 training does go into ailignment for those 30 poses, but you are told you are not to physically adjust people yet. That is taught in another level. I don't know how many Yogafit Level 1 teachers really stick to those rules. It's hard to teach a yoga class and not tough a single person.

My other concern is for people who's ONLY exposure to yoga is that basic 18 hour YF training. Without a person knowing previously about yoga and educating themselves, I think the training would be hard to grasp and apply. I think the assumption that a person with only that 18 hour training can teach a safe yoga class in not correct. However, like I said previously, if a person has yoga experience it's a different story. They have a foundation to build on. Also, a person who is an aerobics or pilates instructor, at least comes into the training knowing the basics about the human body and movement. Not ideal, but better than coming in with zero knowledge.

I'm still glad I took the Yogafit Level 1 training, because it allowed me to find out if teaching yoga was something I wanted to pursue further. I had a positive experience with YF, but I never had the intention of only taking one Level and completing my yoga education there. I think I'm the exception.

In my training there were many pilates instructors who were taking the class because the gyms where they worked wanted them to be able to offer combo yoga/pilates classes. I think Yogafit is definately catering to the "gym" or "fitness" population.

Yogafit Level 1 did not even touch the history or philosophy of yoga, sutras, chakras, ayurveda, pranayama, Gita, meditation, yamas, niyamas, ethics, pranic sheaths, or gunas just to name a few. The only anatomy we covered was briefly discussing the curves of the spine. Level 1 simply focused on the physical component of yoga, and that type of yoga is different than the traditional type of yoga that has been around for thousands of years. To me, that is teaching a "fitness" yoga. Not the whole package. The problem with this, is that people who don't know any better, think they got the whole package.

Carole
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-25 3:56 PM (#44904 - in reply to #25293)

>Carol - Yogafit Level 1 did not even touch the history or philosophy of yoga, sutras, chakras, ayurveda, pranayama, Gita, meditation, yamas, niyamas, ethics, pranic sheaths, or gunas just to name a few.

I think that exposure to that stuff comes pretty naturally no matter where you start with Yoga. If you are doing Yoga, no matter what level, it’s going to come up in your readings, studies or from other Yogis. Like you, I would be concerned about teaching with only 18 hours of formal training under ones belt and the possibilities of injuries. There’s so much to learn that I hope, like you, Yogafit teachers would go on to additional training.
Kym
Posted 2006-02-25 4:44 PM (#44908 - in reply to #25293)

Huh. I didn't get the impression that the people at Level 1 were only going to take the one class then teach with no further training. But, then again, I didn's ask anyone and it never came up in conversations. When I took level 2, last fall, there were several people who were doing their re-trains and were just about finished. In fact, one gal there was celebrating completing the program and getting her 200 hrs for Alliance cert. I am truly excited to continue the training! I am also looking forward to different styles of trainings, tho I wonder how I"m going to afford it all. I guess my point is, taking just one level isn't the norm around here to my knowledge.
mishoga
Posted 2006-02-25 5:26 PM (#44911 - in reply to #25293)

Expert Yogi

I find this converstaion interesting. I definitely agree that someone who takes a level one yoga program, whether through AFAA, IDEA, or yogafit is not necessarily prepared to teach a yoga class. Unfortunately this happens often in the gyms. But on the flip side, this is what the gym enthusiasts want and accept. I don't know if the majority want a more in depth class. It's a great starting point for a gym goer. But the instructor does need more training as the movements can really hurt someone and since the gym mentality is competitve, the instructor has to make clear all contraindictions, modifications,etc....

As far as fitness instructors teahing yoga, well, I am a certifed fitness instructor for over 22 years. I orginally taught specialty classes, and managed gyms. It was my love of fitness (and my doctor) that brought yoga into my life. My personal practice is exclusive to yoga. I feel my understanding, and education of the human body for all (children and seniors-certifed) and my experience instructing and communicating is a major plus. How can it not be?
The body changes as we age and instructors need to understand how to work with all populations.

I personally certified in Pilates Mat level I & II because I knew this was marketable. I love yoga but I am also a fitness professional. As I like to say, I slip out of my yoga clothes and put on my business hat.
I find teaching a class that is a fusion of Yoga and Pilates very strengthening. But it is purely physical and my format is catering to the gym mindset.

Listen, as long as you love yoga and are going through training that's a good thing. We all have to start somewhere. You can't start from any other place than the place you are.

Peace!!!
Mishy
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-25 5:36 PM (#44915 - in reply to #25293)

Good point Mish, but Kym brings up another thought to me.

Scenario: A Yoga student who has studied for years and years. They find themselves beyond the ability to find teachers that can teach them any more then they know (in space, time or money). Latest teacher suggests this person teach. That person takes an 18 hr course at Yogafit.

In that way, certification is a pretty poor way to judge a person’s ability. But I guess there is that need for a minimum comfort level when engaging a teacher in a studio. If anything, when I look at bios on Yoga sites, the training they do catches my eye. Can’t seem to think of one that says “Only been doing Yoga forever, with all the teachers I could find. 18 hr course from Yogafit”.

Absolutely would have no idea that this person might be Yogic Avatar.
skatrenah
Posted 2006-02-25 6:43 PM (#44928 - in reply to #44915)

Jambo - 2006-02-25 5:36 PM

Good point Mish, but Kym brings up another thought to me.

Scenario: A Yoga student who has studied for years and years. They find themselves beyond the ability to find teachers that can teach them any more then they know (in space, time or money). Latest teacher suggests this person teach. That person takes an 18 hr course at Yogafit.

In that way, certification is a pretty poor way to judge a person’s ability.

Interesting Jambo. I was thinking myself that Kym really isn't the person we're all afraid of with the YogaFit teachers. She has her yoga background to fill in where the training might fail.

Many of my gym students tell me that they notice the difference in my teaching and that of teachers who have less training. I paid $3,000 for a one year local training and I still didn't feel like it was enough. I keep reading and studying constantly. I also keep looking for workshops and attending classes.

When I started teaching, however, I realized that most of what I teach comes from my yoga experience, not teacher training.

My real fear is people who simply don't pay any attention to subtle body anatomy or the connection between the asanas and their mental and spiritual effects. They simply have no idea what effect their classes can have on people.

Sharon
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-25 8:23 PM (#44939 - in reply to #44928)

Extreme Veteran

skatrenah - 2006-02-25 6:43 PM

My real fear is people who simply don't pay any attention to subtle body anatomy or the connection between the asanas and their mental and spiritual effects. They simply have no idea what effect their classes can have on people.

Sharon

Hi Sharon (and others):

Do you (and if so, how?) address the mental and spiritual effects of asanas when you teach your class? I really don't, explicitly anyway. I have briefly spoken about the energetic effects of yoga postures, mainly in terms of the importance of savasana as that is the time when the body integrates the effects of the postures. But that's about it. I try to "live my yoga" in terms of attention to the yamas and niyamas, but I don't really talk about them explicitly in class. Do you? If so, how do you integrate it?

Just for the record, my training/certification is Bikram (no longer teach it- can't take the hot room anymore), YogaFit Levels 1 & 2, and Erich Schiffmann's training (about 40 hours over the course of about 9 days). I've done additional workshops with Erich, Baron Baptiste and Ana Forrest.
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-25 8:39 PM (#44943 - in reply to #25293)

>JC - can't take the hot room anymore

I’m curious about that, the heat. I never took a Bikram class (personal reasons) but did drop into a Baptiste studio a few times to see if I could handle the heat, I couldn’t. What changed with you?
Kym
Posted 2006-02-25 9:06 PM (#44949 - in reply to #44928)

I paid $3,000 for a one year local training and I still didn't feel like it was enough. I keep reading and studying constantly. I also keep looking for workshops and attending classes.

Sharon

I totally agree with that! No matter what a person's initial training, if he/she is someone who truly loves yoga, they will never be finished with training and education.

I am starting to undestand the point some of you are making. YF does cater to the fitness industry and though that's not my style, it is for some who train with them, and many people are sad to see yoga be more about fitness and less about spiritual. For me, I'm taking the cueing, the poses, the adjustment work, and the other stuff they offer-they do offer something for 200 hours and $3000+ lol! But, whereas they leave out the spiritual, I bring it with me. But again, I can see that someone without personal training beforehand could think YF was all there was to it.

Edited to add- either I have been to training with a remarkable group of people, or was just naive in assuming eveyrone there had honest intentions to continue training. Going into it, I had no idea YF was as fitness oriented as it is. Uh, hence, the YogaFIT name!

Edited by Kym 2006-02-25 9:12 PM
YogaMommy
Posted 2006-02-25 9:14 PM (#44952 - in reply to #25293)

Jackie Cat- I like to subtly mention things about energy moving through the body during certain poses. For example, during backbends I mention opening the heart center, opening the heart chakra, and helping with Kapha conditions such as ashthma or chest congestion. Also, you can talk about the yamas and niyamas in the context of using contentment to be happy with where you are in your pose. Or using Tapas to stay a little longer in your pose, pushing your comfort zone. Or non-harm, in that you need to listen to your body and not subject it to harmful activities or habits. Subtle ways like that, then it moves the principles of the deeper yoga into the unconscious.

Carole
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-25 9:30 PM (#44958 - in reply to #44943)

Extreme Veteran

Jambo - 2006-02-25 8:39 PM

>JC - can't take the hot room anymore

I’m curious about that, the heat. I never took a Bikram class (personal reasons) but did drop into a Baptiste studio a few times to see if I could handle the heat, I couldn’t. What changed with you?

I really got sick of teaching in the hot room. When teaching the class, all I did was give verbal instruction with a little bit of demonstrating here and there (and a few physical adjustments). I wasn't doing the practice but at the end of class I was just as sweaty and drained as if I had. I found it really depleting to be in the heat so much.

Also, while I like the series well enough, but it really bothers my neck. Right before I quit (in May 2005), I was having a lot of neck pain, which at the time I blamed on stuff I was doing in the weight room. When I quit Bikram, the neck pain went away. I just recently tried a Bikram class again after 9 months of not doing it, and the next day my neck felt sort of "tweaky." So I just think it's not the practice for me and it's definitely not the style I want to teach.

I'm not sure exactly what changed . . . I just got less and less tolerant of the heat. As I tried other types of yoga classes, I began to see that what made the Bikram practice so challenging WAS the heat- I felt like it created a false sense of difficulty. I've taken classes in the Baptiste style, as well as some workshops and master classes with Baron B., and I liked that much better if it wasn't TOO hot. I think now that I prefer a vinyasa class in an unheated room- I create enough internal heat, especially now that I'm on the march toward menopause (I've actually got about 8 years til then, but time flies, right?!)
skatrenah
Posted 2006-02-25 9:49 PM (#44966 - in reply to #44939)

JackieCat - 2006-02-25 8:23 PM

Do you (and if so, how?) address the mental and spiritual effects of asanas when you teach your class? I really don't, explicitly anyway. I have briefly spoken about the energetic effects of yoga postures, mainly in terms of the importance of savasana as that is the time when the body integrates the effects of the postures.

I don't talk about the spiritual and mental effects much at all. When I do, I use language that is somewhat safe.

i use the knowledge in how I sequence postures and adjust for the mood of the room. A class that is hyper or agitated for some reason may get more yin yoga postures like forward bends and child pose at the beginning of the class to bring them down a notch. I might teach early chest openers and gentle energizing movements to start out a sluggish class to get the blood flowing.

I also notice that sometimes I can do too much work that has similar effect on the mental state leaving the class unbalanced. For example too many back bends, chest openers too close to the end of class make it difficult to relax in savasanah.

If someone asks me a spiritual question I try to answer it. If they are having a strong, spiritual experience I might try to guide them to a more experienced spiritual teacher.

It's just that asana practice manipulate more than the muscles and I feel like I should have a clue what is going on with my students.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-25 10:11 PM (#44968 - in reply to #44966)

Extreme Veteran

skatrenah - 2006-02-25 9:49 PM

It's just that asana practice manipulate more than the muscles and I feel like I should have a clue what is going on with my students.

I agree!

Posted 2006-02-26 10:10 AM (#44993 - in reply to #44939)

Do you (and if so, how?) address the mental and spiritual effects of asanas when you teach your class? I really don't, explicitly anyway. I have briefly spoken about the energetic effects of yoga postures, mainly in terms of the importance of savasana as that is the time when the body integrates the effects of the postures. But that's about it. I try to "live my yoga" in terms of attention to the yamas and niyamas, but I don't really talk about them explicitly in class. Do you? If so, how do you integrate it?

I do not have time for an in-depth expression of what i do right now, but i'll do my best to give you a quick run down of how i work.

lets say that i have my students in tadasana. I'll start by describing the basic anatomical alignment and then how that 'feels.' From there, i talk about the basics of energetic movement (particularly when talking about mula and uddiyana bandha--how mula bandha starts in the arch of the foot, etc). I'll also talk about how this energetic level 'feels' particularly if it's different since we've engaged the bandhas. Then, i might talk about some sort of history or philosophy or life-lesson that can be learned through the practice of mountain pose.

Generally speaking, a posture is down twice (if held)--once on the right, and once on the left. I usually describe alignment, adjustments, and modifications while they're on the right side. Then, when they're moving into a posture on the left, i'll give the quick instructions for alignment, and then go into the energy movement, history or a story, or application of philosophy or whatever.

Also, sometimes classes tend to have themes. So, the focus may be on the first chakra and how all of the postures affect the first chakra and what that means.

You may be thinking that people must hold Mt pose for 20 minutes or something while i do this. that's not really the case. It's usually a minute or two per posture--the 'five breath' times that things are held. This means that all descriptions are short. One or two sentences on anatomy, one or two on adjustments, one or two on chakras, one or two on philosophy (and i'll continue the philosophy into the next pose). But, the key to this is repetition. I repeat the same information class-to-class in different ways, so that when a person didn't 'catch' it from the description in the last class, they might 'catch' it in the description for this class.

And, by repeating it, they eventually 'get' the different levels. THis also meets the issue of students in 'all levels' classes. For those students who really know the alignment and modifications, they'll move right in on the basic cues--such as the name of the pose. When they settle in, they'll hear me talk about the energy movement, and zero in on trying to apply that. Those who are beginners will focus on the alignment stuff, but phase out during the energetic stuff, and both sets will come back in on the philosophy discussion element. So, each person is working 'their level' and i'm also teaching 'their level' by including these various elements.
skatrenah
Posted 2006-02-26 5:31 PM (#45023 - in reply to #25293)

Two questions Zoebird

First.
Do you ever worry you're talking too much? My first teacher hardly talked at all and it was a little disconcerting for a beginner? But I worry that maybe I talk too much and it sounds like you give twice the information that I do.

Second
You mentioned your future training goals on the other thread, but how have you trained previously. I realized that you've done yoga your whole life, which is a big headstart. But did you go through a teacher training? Have done mostly personal study? Workshops?

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)