YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hi which exercise for.....
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

beginnerbrowser
Posted 2005-06-11 3:18 AM (#25399)
Subject: Hi which exercise for.....

Hi Which pilates exercise is good for definition from the middle (waist) down into the thighs and hips? (moves or set of moves).... I have a nice curvy body.... but would like a touch more definition in these areas to accentuate my hourglass figure.... Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jules
Posted 2005-06-21 8:52 AM (#25984 - in reply to #25399)
Subject: RE: Hi which exercise for.....

Well, I might be a bit premature in giving my expertise, (been doing pilates every day for the past 5 weeks), but I too want to achieve the same goals as you in the waist and lower body. I've been doing Mari Winsor's 20 minute "Buns and Thigh" video every evening, (on top of an all over body routine in the morning), and I'm seeing dramtic results.
She demonstrates the side kick series, which includes leg circles, leg lifts, inner thighs, bicycle, the clam, elevated clam amongst other killer moves, that make your backside ache.
It also promotes the breathing, and works the hips. In 5 weeks I've lost almost 3 inches off my hips and 2 inches off each thigh and my bum is a lot higher and more toned. I'm even getting a space inbetween my legs now, which I'd never had before! It's done wonders for me, and I've never come across a series of exercises which has given me such immediate results.
I've also found that exercises such as the saw, criss-cross and the teasers have all whittled down my waist by a couple of inches as well. I'm sure some of the more experienced memebers will be able to give you some better articulated instructions and better advice, (they've been wonderful in helping with my own questions), but I thought I'd share with you my results with the pilates moves I've been dedicated to for that last month.

Good luck!

Jules xxx
Pason
Posted 2005-08-13 12:12 AM (#29719 - in reply to #25399)

I glad you ladies are enjoying Pilates and seeing results! If you are just doing the matwork I would like to add on to the list of exercises that where already posted. Remember though that all of the pilates exercises even if working on your bum or arms you should still be engageing you abs at all times. More mat exercises for abs - Hundreds, Roll up, single and double leg stretch, corkscrew, jacknife, teaser, twist. Bum and thighs - side kick, swimming, leg pull front and back. To further your Pilates experience and progress I would encourage you to take equipment classes. There are 100's of pilates exercises which the trainer knows and the advantage of takeing a private equipment class is the one on one attention you will get. They make sure you are doing the exercises in proper form, can change things up for you so you don't get bored, coach you threw your program, personalize your program, and to help you progress. And the equipment is fun!

Pason
LA, CA
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-14 4:30 PM (#29810 - in reply to #25399)

I would advice doing the full Ab Series daily (single leg stretch, double leg stretch, single straight leg, double straight leg, and criss-cross), and make sure you are pressing your shoulderblades into the mat instead of lifting your shoulders up too far off the mat. Lifting up too far engages your rectus abdominus and does not allow a proper "scoop" of the belly in order to engage the deep-down transverse adbdominus muscle. I haven't seen the Mari Winsor tapes to know whether they explain this well or not, the Stott DVD's that I have are very concise about posture and it has helped me tremendously.

It's very important because the transverse abdominus is the "corset" of the body that will pull your waistline in and flatten the front of your belly. The rectus abdominus is the more superficial "six-pack" muscle that can instead push out belly flab if you have any fat in that area. Of course it's also an important muscle that helps you to sit up without injuring your back. But, if you are looking to pull everything "in" instead of showing off rippling muscles, work that transverse abdominus. The spine twist is another great one for this area.

Also, when you are doing the sidekick series, lay your head down on your arm and concentrate on pulling your waistline up off the mat. That will help engage and tone your T.A. even while you are working the hips and thighs.

On the subject of hips and thighs, during the sidekicks be sure your top hip is pressed forward and does not rock back AT ALL during the exercises. Your hips should be in a vertical line and perfectly still. You will feel it in your outer thigh when you are doing it right, no question about it! I sometimes have my classes do the whole sidekick series while leaning on a large balance ball, which is VERY challenging and really works that whole hip and outer thigh.

Let us know how well it works!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)