YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mayurasana --- My tummy hurts
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Thushara
Posted 2005-06-13 11:10 PM (#25585)
Subject: Mayurasana --- My tummy hurts

Last week I started practicing Mayurasana and every time I fell without balance.. How I do this is.. I sit in Vajirasana then apart my knees, keep the palms on the floor together.. facing fingers to my side and then I lock my elbows to my tummy. After that I bring my head down, then stretch 1 leg after that other leg., and then try to raise both legs together. My teacher is temporary unavailable and I practice with one of her assistance, After trying to be in Mayurasana 3, 4 times., sides of my tummy started paining.. Im not too sure of this locking elbows thing. Could you please tell me the right techniques, tips and tricks of doing Mayurasana???

Thanks a lot

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thushara
Posted 2005-06-14 8:57 AM (#25600 - in reply to #25585)
Subject: RE: Mayurasana --- My tummy hurts

and one more thing.. I dont use the wall support., I didnt find it eaier.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-14 9:57 AM (#25616 - in reply to #25585)

Expert Yogi

I have a couple of thoughts for you. First, if you can do lotus pose,
it's often easier on the arms and abs to do padma mayurasana.
Second, you can try propping your toes up on a block while you work
on the arms. I'm not quite sure how you are using your head, but
it should not touch the floor. Your description of how to place the
elbows sounds right .. for me, the elbows come in just below the navel.
Fingertips should be pointing straight back toward your toes (there's
a harder posture calls hamsasana or Swan pose in which the fingertips
point toward your head).

Thushara
Posted 2005-06-14 11:32 PM (#25692 - in reply to #25616)
Subject: RE: Mayurasana --- My tummy hu

Thnanks BG.. NO I dont bring my head to the floor., What I meant was I bring my head down parellel to the floor and align with my body. I know I have a long way to go with this. but this is a must for my next test too So I have to work on it. Fingers are facing my side and I lock elbows to the side of my upper tummy. I think lower tummy will be more painful.

Wont you feel that your elbows pricking your stomach ????

The problem with the wall support is that ., first I think of a distance and then sit there in Vajirasana lock elbows and stretch my legs., then I find that I’m too closer to the wall or too far from the wall., every time I have to adjust it.. I just checked some web sites and there., in one site I saw a yogi is balancing by touching the wall sideways.. I must try that out

Thank a lot for your support and I appreciate if you guys can help me with more tips and tricks

Thanks

Bay Guy
Posted 2005-06-15 11:53 AM (#25745 - in reply to #25692)

Expert Yogi

Hi Thushara,

The fingers need to face toward your feet, not your side. Otherwise
you lose the leverage to balance. See this image:

http://www.yogadancer.com/Pages/Mayurasana.shtml#Full

(It's David Swensen in the photo...his legs are too high but the hand
and arm position is correct.)

I'm not sure why you want to use the wall. Instead try a block under your feet.
This will allow you to work on the arm position/strength without trying to balance.

The elbows don't particularly hurt the stomach, but the abs must be held pretty
tight to support the pose.

Hope this helps,

BG
Thushara
Posted 2005-06-16 12:04 AM (#25788 - in reply to #25745)

You are the best BG! I appriciate your help.

BG, I have a good news., The studio has organized my teacher's teacher to come from India for our A TT course when my teacher is away. (She is gone to US ) I have heard a lot about him and everything good about his teaching style.. I hope like nothing for this to workout and I will share with you guys, all the things I learn from him if that happens.

I will keep on trying Mayurasana till that happens. You are correct about Mayurasana with Padmasana.. I tried that and it worked., But I have to think of a way to reduce pressure to my tummy or a way to handle it.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-06-16 10:19 AM (#25815 - in reply to #25585)

Okay,

I don't like Mayurasana...I can't really do it. Probably could if I practiced it more. You sound like you're practicing it a lot. The site listed above has a lots of good advice. Also I don't think it's essential that the legs are parallel with the floor. If you do a google image search you'll see lots of pics of it where the legs are raised above parallel like in salabasana.

First thing is getting the elbows together under the belly button. Practicing eagle/garudasana will help you get flexible enough to pull the elbows together under your stomach. You also have to practice salabasana a lot to get the strength in the back muscles to keep yourself lifted.

Put your forearms together and point your fingers towards your feet. Then you have to round the back and put your head on the floor. Really lift the belly button into the spine and support your stomach on the elbows. This is crucial you have to use the uddiyana bandha. Even though you are lifting into a back bend. Keep your navel pulled up and in.

I also highly recommend putting blocks under the feet and head to support you. Go slow and stop if your wrists are starting to hurt.

I hope this helps.... I wish I had more to offer for this pose.
elson
Posted 2005-06-17 2:38 AM (#25850 - in reply to #25585)

Greetings :-)

Along with BG's udianna banda suggestion, which is probably the most important, take a look at David Swenson's shoulders & upper arms. Instead of the usual open chest, he is rounding his shoulders toward each other in front, and bringing his upper arms under his ribcage. You can see from the flesh covering his ribs that a good amount of his weight is being transferred from his ribs onto his upper arms, instead of only from the elbows to the tummy. So you might try that technique; less weight on the tip of the elbow means less pressure in a tiny area of the tummy, & more comfort.

Just a thought...
Thushara
Posted 2005-06-20 6:36 AM (#25936 - in reply to #25850)

Thanks Elson amd yoga guy too.. Week end class I saw a very little progress in my Mayurasana pracctice., I could hold the pose with lettle support to my toes.. Uhh,, Lot more to do.. Its one of the hardest.. My new teacher is not very pushy.. so I take my time..

Thanks again!

beauty_cat
Posted 2005-07-11 6:34 PM (#27117 - in reply to #25585)

Is this asana more difficult for women?
Thushara
Posted 2005-07-12 8:56 AM (#27161 - in reply to #27117)

Nope. I dont see a reason for that., infact my teacher can do this very nicely.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)