YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeling defeated
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

bigmamma
Posted 2005-07-10 8:14 PM (#27036 - in reply to #26338)
Subject: RE: Feeling defeated

This morning I tried out a different studio, actually an ashtanga class (which I had started in). What a wonderful difference it was. All shapes and sizes, all types of voices, no label examinations. This is what I'd been looking for. Perhaps I can apply anusara to the ashtanga series. I basically do the primary series when I practice at home anyway. Well, I won't garble up anymore space on this thread. Thanks again for all the support. I really needed it.
Bigmamma
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CGG
Posted 2005-07-10 8:54 PM (#27040 - in reply to #27036)

Perhaps I can apply anusara to the ashtanga series.

One thing I love about the Universal Principles of Alignment is how well they fit with more flowing styles of yoga. Even in my Power Yoga class I'm thinking about those darned loops and spirals.
tourist
Posted 2005-07-11 12:40 AM (#27046 - in reply to #27040)

Expert Yogi

The true beauty of principles of alignment (no matter what the source - since they are indeed universal) is that they apply to EVERYTHING. Standing, sitting, walking, dancing all are areas that need to be carried out with alignment and integrity in the body. Once we learn to take them off the mat into our lives we can start to consider ourselves true yogis (She says as she slumps at the keyboard... )
bigmamma
Posted 2005-07-30 11:13 AM (#28484 - in reply to #26338)

I love how life evolves . . .

So I quit my Anusara studio, right. Started working on the primary series of ashtanga, applying all my years of anusara training (Of course this makes it harder), feeling community from this forum and going to an ashtanga class led by a very accomplished teacher once a week. Feeling better, of course. Then, on a lazy day, I go to the gym for a yoga class that I haven't been to in quite awhile (gentle, beginner level) and discover the teacher has left to have her baby. The sub is fabulous, new in town, from Vermont. Practices "eclectic yoga", ashtanga with alignment principles. He is able to teach for the older students as well as for the advanced students and everyone is sweaty and smiling. Just what I had been looking for (and the gym has a nursery for the kids!). I hope the gym can keep him on . . .what a gift! I've been so enthused that I bumped up my practice to 5-6 days a week.
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-07-30 12:17 PM (#28487 - in reply to #28484)

Yay for you Big Mamma!  sounds like you've found the teacher... just out of curiosity, how many years had you been studying Anusara?
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-07-30 12:33 PM (#28488 - in reply to #26338)

What a difference a good teacher makes. and day care!

happy practicing!

Anya
bigmamma
Posted 2005-07-30 7:00 PM (#28500 - in reply to #26338)

Gruvemom,

Geez, 4 years now, minus the last 3 months of my last pregnancy, when I did a prenatal class. Before that, I had been practicing ashtanga at home with the Kest videos and Beryl Bender Birch's Power Yoga book. I was frustrated by not understanding how to put my body into the poses (I have tighty-tight shoulders and hamstrings from snow-boarding) and that is how I happened on the anusara studio. It helped quite a bit.

Posted 2005-07-30 7:55 PM (#28503 - in reply to #26338)

that's cool Big Momma!

i have to say that i teach in a gym, and i love teaching there because of the variety of students. i recently filled out a survey from yoga alliance that seemed really weird--in a way, sort of 'anti' gym yoga--as if the students aren't as interested or dedicated, or as if gym owners are heavily dictating what teachers teach, or as if teachers aren't giving their 100% in a gym setting as they would in another setting, or as if teachers in a gym setting aren't trained or experienced (like in a studio setting, IME, teachers and their training and experience varies--as does their talent!). It was really weird.

I'm glad you found someone who works for ya! and with day care!
yogi-boy
Posted 2005-08-14 7:23 PM (#29823 - in reply to #26338)

Bigmomma you go there and do YOUR thang!

When I started yoga I was the only man amongst fourty aging women! Plus I drank, smoked, was never going to be celibate, vegetarian etc... somethings have changed but not much- I still do what complements my lifestyle instead of cloning myself to fit in with a clique!

Yoga is about being true to your self, so what if you feel you don't fit in- do you want to fit in anyway? Doesn't sound like it!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)