YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scared
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> General MassageMessage format

Mitchster
Posted 2005-08-16 2:16 PM (#29951)
Subject: Scared

I have always wanted to recieve a massage. From what I've seen on television and movies, and hear from friends and family who have recieved them they seem to be an incredible expeience. My uncle swears by them and gets messages on a weekly basis. I purchased a massage package for my wife and she adored going several times. I even have an awsome insurance plan hat will cover most of the message.

The problem is I'm sacred to death that i will get too relaxed and enjoy the message a bit too much. I'm afraid I will get physically "excited" and then I don't know what I would do.

Is this a common fear? Am i the only one who worries about this? I don't think I'm perverted in any way but the thought of having another person rubbing message oil on my naked skin makes me think twice. What would happen if a man got excited?

I've talked myself out of ever recieving a message but I'm still curious if my fears are legit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-08-16 3:14 PM (#29952 - in reply to #29951)
Subject: RE: Scared

Ok, I'll bite...I'm assuming this is a legit post.

There are several varities of massage. Why don't you start with a type of massage where you are fully clothed? Thai (as in Thailand) massage is one such massage that doesn't use oil and you don't need to disrobe. Also, tui na (twee nah) is a form of massage where you don't need to take off any clothes.

The aforementioned type of massages are more sophisticated and require more education. So, they're usually more expensive. But totally worth it!

Does anybody else know of other fully clothed massages?

Posted 2005-08-16 3:14 PM (#29953 - in reply to #29951)

they happen, though rarely, and it's normal. professional massage therapists know how to handle these situations.

to decrease the incidence, i suggest going to a same-sex practitioner (assuming that you're heterosexual), as this tends to decrease the erotic notions that some people carry into a massage with an individual of the opposite sex. And honestly, i only go to practitioners of the same sex because of a rather not-so-cool experience with a professional massage therapist of the opposite sex. Nothing 'crossed the line' professionally, but i did feel really uncomfortable at one point.

Your fear is normal, so work through that, and then have a good time getting a massage. Also, you could start out with chair massage which is done fully clothed or with thai yoga massage, which is also done clothed (though not like traditional massage. it's like shiatsu/acupressure plus some fully assisted yoga poses).
Mitchster
Posted 2005-08-16 3:31 PM (#29955 - in reply to #29951)

Thanks.

I never thought of a fuly clothed massage. I assumed they were all naked oily messages because that's all i've seen on tv and heard about. Haveing it performed by a man helps also. could i recomend this when i schedule?

Posted 2005-08-16 3:51 PM (#29961 - in reply to #29951)

you'll have to look around for specialty massage like 'thai massage' and ask if it's on a mat or on the table. thai on the table may be done unclothed in tandem with another form of massage in some cases.

basicly, ask questions. you can ask for a male massage therapist when you make your appointment. You can ask if they offer types of massage that allow you to keep all of your clothes on. Just ask whatever occurs to you to ask.
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-08-16 8:22 PM (#29971 - in reply to #29951)

I don't know...one of my male friends is a massage theraptist in one of the fancy spas on the LV Strip and 50% of his clients are male. Seems like 10-15% of them have an "accident" on the table. Massage stimulates blood flow everywhere. My female friend who does massage always stops the massage when a man let's himself go.

For your comfort level, I'd go the fully clothed way. The big cities in the US should have a myriad of massage choices.

Randa
Posted 2005-08-17 1:52 PM (#30004 - in reply to #29951)

I agree with what everyone else said so far about doing a fully clothed massage. I personally love massages and cannot live without them because they really help reduce stress and tension. But if you are scared of what may occur during the massage, its nothing to be worried about.......just try SHIATSU (like was mentioned earlier). This type of massage focuses more on pressure points........believe me, its more painful than relaxing haha. I suggest you start off with these fully clothed massages. And then once you get used to someone else massaging you, then maybe you can try a naked massage. Same-sex mesus would help reduce any exciting feelings!Good luck!
Shiva
Posted 2005-09-21 5:03 AM (#32531 - in reply to #29951)

Hi, I agree with everyone about getting a fully clothed massage. Good idea.

I am a massage therapist and I have dealt with clients who think massage is sexual and want sexual things to happen. Those can be awkward situatations but are far different from what you're talking about.

The fact is, if you go to a professional spa, or a real therapist NOTHING SEXUAL WILL HAPPEN. (I know there are cases where people act inappropriately, but this is far less common) You can assure this by starting off going somewhere that you know is reputable or getting a massage from a recommended therapist, perhaps someone who has massaged your wife.

Your concern that you may become turned on is legitimate because as a culture, we do not touch each other much, except during sex. So your brain, and all of our brains, are sort of conditioned to think touch=sex. Getting massage will help you release this age old conditioning pattern. You will learn through experience that touch is therapeutic and feels good on a similar but distinctly different level. The first couple times you may feel nervous or shy. Express this to your therapist. He or she will certainly understand. We massage people who are "newbies" all the time.

You said something like "I don't know what i'd do if I was turned on." amongst other normal anxious concerns. The fact that you have voiced these concern at all means you are not likely to do something inappropriate.

After all, the brain is the most sexual organ in the body, and if you are turned on during a massage, you can decide not to feed the "turn on." If you get an erection during a massage, that is okay and not necessarily your "fault." If you then feel your arousal and feed it by have fantasy-like thoughts, that is inappropriate, in my opinion.

Decide for yourself what is inappropriate. Learn exactly what massage is about (healing, relaxation, therapy, etc) and then decide if you want to go for that reason, and if the benefits outweight the challenges you may face in the "learning curve"

Thanks for listening to my rant. This has been an issue lately in my own personal practice and I think it's an important thing for everyone to be aware of regarding massage

sdaraio
Posted 2005-09-21 10:26 PM (#32616 - in reply to #29951)

Breema is another form of massage from Afghanistan that is done fully clothed.

I think however that you need not worry about getting an erection--you are obviously conscious enough to not feed the excitement with on-going sexual thoughts. Massage therapists are trained to understand reactions of the body, whether it be and erection, loud moans, flatulence or whatever.

Go get a massage man! You will not regret it!!

Stacey
shyla
Posted 2005-10-09 1:37 AM (#33995 - in reply to #29951)

This is the subject-matter I have been thinking about for the past few days now since I am considering signing up for massage therapy school. Other therapists I've talked to have told me that they simply ignore the male clients if they happen to get erections during their massage because it is a natural consequence of touch and blood flow. The same way nipples change for us women...we can't help it.

Are there any more words of wisdom? Is it just a matter of what you think you can overcome for both the therapists and the clients...in order to receive the benefits of a full body massage.
Shiva
Posted 2005-10-09 3:43 AM (#33998 - in reply to #29951)

Shyla, I am a massage therapist and I have dealt with some of these issues before. I can say definitively that, for me, the benefits far outweight the costs. I've only been practicing about 2 years, and I've encountered only 2 clients who challenged me in this way. If it continues at this rate, I can definitely deal with it. Unfortuatnely both of these clients came to me in the same week, so I had those feelings, "If this is how it's going to be, I'm quitting" (these people were not just getting erections, but coming on to me in various ways)

If you take up massage as a profession full time, you will certainly encounter men who get erections, and far worse, men (or women) who are trying to hit on you. This is virutally inevitable. Just like you encounter these people on the street, or elsewhere in your daily life.

If you still feel unsure, perhaps you can take a short class, learn enough to give a basic full body massage (a short 2-day to 2-week) class can do this, and then you can practice on trusted friends and family and see if you like the work enough to go pro with it. Although I can tell you I like the work much better now that I'm not working on my friends and family regularly.

Best,

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)