YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What To Do?????????
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

Neftis
Posted 2005-08-16 9:53 PM (#29977)
Subject: What To Do?????????

Hello everybody...
I was wondering how and on which way i can overcome stress and fear, though i don't know of what anymore... Sometimes I feel i'm not safe and that people can hurt me...deep down i know that there is no a reason for such a thing, but i just can't leave that thought Maybe i'm totally out of my mind when i hang out and feel anxious and nervous, and what brings the biggest problem; as a result of that feeling, i begin to sweat SO MUCH in the armpit area, summer or winter... I tried many things, i used to practise Reiki for some time...but now i'm really down, and don't know what to do anymore!
Is there any advice from here, some steps to successful relaxation...anything and i will be grateful!
Maybe this is not a real site to ask a question like this, but i have nothing to lose...Also i'm sorry for my english...
Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-08-17 10:39 AM (#29999 - in reply to #29977)
Subject: RE: What To Do?????????

i recommend two things: first, you may be interested in cognative-behavoiral therapy. this therapeutic method will help you understand and work through your nervousness and anxieties, greatly decreasing them or managing them. second, i recommend taking a gentle yoga class in your area.
elson
Posted 2005-08-20 3:42 AM (#30087 - in reply to #29977)

That sounds like what is called free-floating anxiety, which can have many causes. Zoe's suggestion of a gentle yoga class is really good, especially if you learn some breathing techniques that help you slow down your breathing. Your emotions and your breathing are linked, and we can often become calmer by slowing the breathing, especailly the exhales.

Learning biofeedback and self-hypnosis will help.

Another way to treat this is various relaxing teas and medicines like benadryl.

A psychologist will be able to help you discover any underlying causes of the anxiety that may not be obvious to you now.

Finally, you might want to talk to a doctor about this. He may prescribe an anti-anxiety or anti-depression medicine that can help you through this difficult time.

Another possibility for what is causing the anxiety - you might want to look at what you are eating and drinking, because free-floating anxiety is a classic result of too much caffeine. Also, some herbs, supplements, and medicines can have this effect.

Just some stuff to think about.
Neftis
Posted 2005-08-20 2:42 PM (#30099 - in reply to #29999)

hey there!
Thanks for the answer, but tell me what does "cognative-behavoiral therapy" do, and how to start it, it is the first time i hear about it
Thanks...
gogirl58
Posted 2005-08-20 3:27 PM (#30102 - in reply to #29977)

Extreme Veteran

It help you to change your thinking ( cognition) so that your behavior changes. Thoughts leads to behsavior, and behavior to thoughts. It is a therapy technique, and hopefully you will find someone who uses it in a mixture with other techniques to help you to relax and to enjoy the world, not to be afraid.

Some people just have hyped up nervous systems, and medication helps your system to calm down. Its hard to know without knowing more about your life. Sometimes there are reasons someones's system is overly sensitive ( trauma, bad experiences etc.) anyway it is good that
you are trying to handle this. Yoga can help. Don't be afraid to discuss this with a counselor. They will be very familiar with the symptoms. They are relatively common. Your possible
solutions are varied, and it's best to try different ones to find a way to handle all of this.

Goood luck to you. I think you wrote this board because you thought(correctly) that there was help here. It's a beginning.
SuzyQ1963
Posted 2005-12-14 9:07 AM (#38898 - in reply to #29977)

Free floating anxiety is caused by some deep emotional blockage. You don't usually know what the cause is and you don't really need to know.

Its like when your house is on fire, you don't waste time looking to see what is causing the fire, you just rush to put it out.

Yoga can help you put out the fire so that you can work more effectively with any therapeutic systems you choose to employ. Choose a gentle class and find a teacher that you really like, someone you trust and feel good about. If you feel anxious, practice poses that encourage closing off the heart chakra and protecting the crown chakra. Poses like child's pose, while meditating on the breath.

I hope this helps,
Sue.
tourist
Posted 2005-12-14 10:24 AM (#38903 - in reply to #38898)

Expert Yogi

SuzyQ1963 - 2005-12-14 6:07 AM

Free floating anxiety is caused by some deep emotional blockage.

Hi Sue - I find this sort of explanation very counter-productive. I liked your description and appreciate that you suggest one does not really have to find out what the blockage is, but to someone already in a fearful state, it is terrifying to consider that here might be a tidal wave of more fear hiding somewhere in their psyche. It also has that sense of "the problem is inside you" which has the connotation that the problem is their own "fault." I have only ever been on the very outskirts of problems like this myself but I can tell you that opening sentence would have had me running away screaming

I'll also add that sometimes the gentle work with breath and child's pose etc. can sometimes be effective but also sometimes takes the person farther and farther into the fear and feelings of weakness. Strong work such as standing poses can strengthen and empower the person to overcome their fears by regaining their strength and internal power. This has certainly been the case for me. This is not to contradict your advice, but to add that option for anyone who is trying to work on their own and maybe not finding results with a gentle approach. I am a BIG fan of resotrative yoga
blissgirl
Posted 2006-02-24 12:56 PM (#44783 - in reply to #29977)

Hi Neftis-

I know exactly how you feel, I have been there.

What has helped me the most, is when I would start to feel out of control, when it first starts, to drop whatever it is you're thinking about and focus on anything in the present- Your breathing, washing the dishes, those tight places in your body that clench when anxiety happens. And just feel it, and breathe. Everything is okay.

I have found that when I start to think about the future, or past events, or what if's, then panic starts. If you can't be still and relax with your breath, then do anything that will jolt your mind out of it's loop. Dance around naked, or blast beethoven's 5th, stick your tongue out. I know it sounds silly! Have compassion for youself, many others feel the same way. Yoga is great, too. Physical excercise is helpful. And don't worry about what your mind is saying all the time, usually it's not telling the truth!

Peace for you,
blissgirl
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-24 9:45 PM (#44821 - in reply to #29977)

>zoebird - cognative-behavoiral therapy

There’s seems to be a subtle shift going on from cognative-behavoiral therapy into a new model that is based upon “mindful meditation” therapy that seems very promising. Though controversial, the control studies seem to suggest that it is more effective the CB. I’ll post the literature when I get a chance.
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-25 3:32 PM (#44903 - in reply to #29977)

Actually I didn’t realize it was called Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT)

Here’s a good link if anyone is interested.

http://www.psychiatry.ox.ac.uk/csr/mbct.html

Posted 2006-08-31 1:20 AM (#63266 - in reply to #29977)

Hello Neftis,

Thanks for coming to us with this issue.

First I'd like to know about your diet. It may seem trite but I assure you there are some things dietarily that can disrupt the balance of your nervous system. Specifically tell me about the roll of CATS in your life - caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, and sugar.

Second, please post some details of your yoga practice (if you have one). I'd specifically enjoy hearing about the type of yoga you are doing, how often, at what time(s) of day, and what asanas you are putting together. Can you also, at that time tell what sort of pranayama practice you have. If none, that is fine. Just need a baseline to take you further.

Namaste.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-31 1:21 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-08-31 7:34 AM (#63272 - in reply to #29977)

Neftis - 2005-08-16 9:53 PM

Hello everybody...
I was wondering how and on which way i can overcome stress and fear, though i don't know of what anymore... Sometimes I feel i'm not safe and that people can hurt me...deep down i know that there is no a reason for such a thing, but i just can't leave that thought Maybe i'm totally out of my mind when i hang out and feel anxious and nervous, and what brings the biggest problem; as a result of that feeling, i begin to sweat SO MUCH in the armpit area, summer or winter... I tried many things, i used to practise Reiki for some time...but now i'm really down, and don't know what to do anymore!
Is there any advice from here, some steps to successful relaxation...anything and i will be grateful!
Maybe this is not a real site to ask a question like this, but i have nothing to lose...Also i'm sorry for my english...
Thanks in advance!

From what you wrote, your problem is 'mental'. And, therefore a) you can not describe it fully no mattter how much you write it in words. b) you can not address it properly by doing any kind of physical activities including Yoga Asanas (which are NOT fully physical). You need to do train your mind. This can be done by a) Experienced Instruction of Help from an appropriate person in any any relevant field, NOT only Yoga. b) Finding a path or method out of luck, and c) Actual Practice of what you learnt.

Best Luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)