YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should I do beginner's or inte
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

loli
Posted 2005-08-23 8:04 AM (#30231)
Subject: Should I do beginner's or inte

Hi all,
I am really excited about John Friend's workshops in London in Oct. and I have emailed Anusara.com for their advice on which workshop I should go for but they haven't replied yet. The thing is, both worksho0ps will introduce the "loops and spirals and flowing with grace" of anusara, but I stll can't decide whether to go for the beginners or intermediate workshop. I have been practicing for many years and teach a blend of Iyengar/Sivananda hatha and have a strong personal practice which is blended with ashtanga and vinyasa flow. But, I have no expereience with anusara. My principal's advice is to go for the intermediate workshop as she said, in her words, my postures are 'sound' but there is a little niggling part of me that is wondering if I should be doing the beginners....do theiy mean "beginners to yoga" or "beginners to anusara?"...I guess that is the crux of the question. Anyone out there with experience please help!
Namaste
Laura

PS I will probably find a message in my inbox from anusara.com with thier advice as soon as I post this!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-08-23 10:05 AM (#30237 - in reply to #30231)
Subject: RE: Should I do beginner's or

Apply and see which one you get into, because you are not guaranteed entry. I have a friend that has been practicing anusara 2x a day for 3 years and didn't get into the workshop here in NYC. I luckily got into the intermediate/advanced workshop, but I think it has to do with the fact that I'm a teacher and I think he gives teachers preference....that's a whole other topic of conversation.

I think if you apply to the advanced workshop and they don't think you're ready, they might bump you down to the beginner workshop, but I don't think they bump people up. I don't know when the deadline is, but apply soon. Then you have to wait until 2 weeks after the deadline for them to review all the applications and decide if you got in or not.

Good luck.
bigmamma
Posted 2005-08-23 10:14 AM (#30238 - in reply to #30231)
Subject: RE: Should I do beginner's or inte

I have experience in applying for the workshops. They definitely mean "beginners to anusara". I was very annoyed when I followed their instructions for my ability level (I was very experience with anusara), applied for an intermediate workshop and was then told that because so many people had applied, only the most advanced students from "around the world" were selected for the workshop. By that time, the beginner level was filled. I pointed out the discrepancy but was shrugged off.
I would recommend signing up for the beginner level. But also, as you can probably tell, I've been starting to get a bad feeling from anusara. This only dawned on me recently. Just the fact that each application to a workshop is personally reviewed and accepted or rejected without explanation is fishy. And John Friend is worshipped so . . . I mean, his past career was as a financial analyst. In essence, he's had training on how to make good money. Good Luck. I hope my bad feelings are unfounded.

Bigmamma
bigmamma
Posted 2005-08-23 10:17 AM (#30239 - in reply to #30231)

Yogaguy:

You are right, he definitely gives teachers preference . . .I bet you can guess why . . .
loli
Posted 2005-08-23 2:53 PM (#30254 - in reply to #30231)

HI again,
Well, I received an email from Anusara.com, and they said that I should apply for the intermediate workshop, so I have. (They said that there are no pre-requisites for the workshops in Europe by the way) I am a teacher, don't know if they took that into account anyway.
Thanks for your advice.
Yogaguy, how was the workshop you attended? I'm pretty excited now!
This is going to be a 9 hour workshop spread over 3 days.....

Edited by loli 2005-08-23 2:54 PM
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-08-23 9:06 PM (#30274 - in reply to #30231)

I haven't gone yet. It's not until Sept 25 & 26. I applied 2 months ago and just found out on August 12 that I got in. I am really excited because I haven't studied with John yet. A lot of people told me that the application process was kind of crazy.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

I just took an Anusara workshop this past weekend with Sue Elkind and Naime Jezzeny. They are great. I highly recommend them if they come to your town. They are moving to New Hope, PA if anybody is near there.

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-08-25 11:02 AM (#30359 - in reply to #30274)

I applied for the December Miami workshop about a month after the applications were posted. I originally applied for beginners, then upgraded to Intermediate, though I wish I hadn't.  You can tell them you'll take whatever level they'll put you in.

I'm a little worried about getting accepted (don't like the approval factor, either, bigmamma) because the place they're having the workshop is pretty small.  They can probably fit 80-100 people but there is very little parking available.  All I can think to do is find all the locals who are going, pile into an SUV and camp out each day while the "beginners" go to that workshop and the "intermeds" go to theirs.

I should here in Oct/Nov. if I get in.  Which stinks b/c if I don't do JF, then I'd like to do the Betsey Downing Intensives which start Nov 5. Otherwise, I have to wait to do the intensives until May~!
bigmamma
Posted 2005-08-25 2:18 PM (#30370 - in reply to #30359)

Gruvemom,
When John comes to Tucson, I've been told that if you volunteer to "work the door", they might squeeze you in one of the sessions, as long as you have a teacher there to vouch for you.

That might be an option for those who were bumped and have extra time.
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-08-27 4:41 PM (#30458 - in reply to #30231)

Do inter with a beginners approach to the class and do only what your body allows and take notes of the more difficult and less doable so that you can make new goals in you practice. If you are a teacher do them both and try learning how they teach and not just what they teach so that you may apply it to your teachings.
tourist
Posted 2005-08-28 11:17 AM (#30480 - in reply to #30458)

Expert Yogi

Jo - this was a discussion of the selection process for Anusara workshops so your advice does not quite fit. As for regular classes, I adise people to start with beginners and usually a transfer to a higher level is possible if necessary. Everyone should be able to learn from a beginner's class, although the pace may be slower. And of course, we should all approach each class and practice with a beginner's mind
loli
Posted 2005-08-28 12:15 PM (#30486 - in reply to #30231)

Hi Jo, I thought about doing both workshops but no way could I afford it! The real reason I started this discussion was because I wasn't sure if they meant 'for beginners of yoga' or 'for beginners of anusara'. And, as a teacher, I did wonder if the beginners workshop would be useful from a teacher's perspective. Anyway, I asked Anusara.com for their recommendation (told them I am a teacher etc) and they said I should go for intermediate. (I received a confirmation email yesterday to say I have a place by the way...)
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-08-28 8:26 PM (#30506 - in reply to #30370)

volunteer to "work the door",

Huge thanks for that tip, Mamma!  If I'm not accepted, I will definitely try that.  My teacher will be there and by then, a very familiar face with JF as he is doing the TT prior to the weekend as well as the workshop. This is one workshop I will have no shame about using any angle to get in!  I really want to get the face time w/ JF before I make the final decision for Anusara TT next year. 
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-08-28 8:27 PM (#30509 - in reply to #30486)

Congrats, Loli!  So happy you got in!
bigmamma
Posted 2005-08-28 8:28 PM (#30510 - in reply to #30231)

Also let your teacher know that you are applying, Gruvemom. He/she may be able to put a word in for you.
loli
Posted 2005-08-29 5:45 AM (#30526 - in reply to #30231)

Thanks Gruvemom! I am really excited....now all I have to do is pay for it and work out how I am going to get to it, whose floor I am going to sleep on in London etc!

I wish you luck with your application...really awkward having to wait so long....could you apply for the other workshop and tell them your situation?

PS I didn't congratulate you Yogaguy...Congratulations on getting 'accepted'! I look forward to hearing how it goes....
Namaste
Laura
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-08-29 8:09 PM (#30564 - in reply to #30526)

Congrats, Yoga Guy!  Can't wait to hear your recap of the weekend.

I think it was Mamma who asked if my teacher might put in a good word for me for the Miami workshop... If asked to verify my worthiness, he would put in a good word for me.  I don't feel like asking him to call and say "hey I gotta student wants in"... also, I don't know if he realizes I want to be a teacher and that's sort of an awkward thing for me to discuss with him (I don't know why... I just kind of feel like I'm sucking up IYKWIM)...
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-08-29 11:38 PM (#30588 - in reply to #30231)

Thanks! I'm psyched. My friend just forwarded me some information about "working the door" so I might try to do some karmic work and sit in on the teacher training as well. We'll see how that goes...I haven't heard back yet.
loli
Posted 2005-09-19 10:01 AM (#32371 - in reply to #30231)
Subject: Not long now!!!

Hi YogaGuy,
I bet you are really getting excited now! I am, and the London workshop is still weeks away!(7, 8 & 9th Oct)
Namaste
Laura

PS any news about working the door so you can sit in on the TT yet? Fingers crossed for you. That would be cool.

Edited by loli 2005-09-19 10:02 AM
Yellow
Posted 2005-09-23 1:00 PM (#32789 - in reply to #32371)
Subject: RE: Not long now!!!

I want the hand outs!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)