YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flexiblity Training
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

the_pigeon05
Posted 2005-09-10 8:40 PM (#31482)
Subject: Flexiblity Training

Hey guys n gals,

I work as a part time personal trainer at a gym (Goodlife Fitness). I just really don't know what kind of flexbility training to do with my clients. I read a few articles and came across a few studies that showed that static stretching did not prevent injury nor did it increase athletic performance. There seems to be much debate as to the duration to hold a stretch and the amount of times one must perform it. I took up yoga about 3 months ago. What I've done is I've used very basic poses - upward dog, standing forward bend, downward dog etc. with my clients. I've practiced them lots myself so I am not just giving them something I've never done. I've taught them to best of my ability and so far, one has actually asked me to do more of it with him. (I'm 19 and I just started off lol). What do you guys n gals have to say about flexiblity training?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2005-09-10 9:39 PM (#31493 - in reply to #31482)
Subject: RE: Flexiblity Training

Expert Yogi

Hi Terry - well, there is flexibility training and then there is yoga. Two different birds with similar SEEMING goals. I realise this is the fitness thread but I'd say if you really want to experience yoga, you should find a qualified teacher and do some exploring. Yoga is much more than stretching

There are people here with a lot of knowledge about fitness and they are more qualified to talk about the studies and science of it than I am. I have heard of the studies that say stretching does not prevent injuries and while that may be true, many athletes will push themselves to injury no matter what regimen you give them. If they stretched as much as as correctly as they were told to for the study (and I doubt they did - they probably studied runners, who are notoriously poor stretchers ) the probably just ran more or harder because they felt like they could Well, that is my cynical side. I'm really just kidding - sorta....
YogaChick
Posted 2005-09-11 4:36 PM (#31561 - in reply to #31482)

Hi Pidgeon!! Welcome to the forums and to the fitness industry. I'm a personal trainer as well as a yoga teacher, and have been doing both for about 7 years. I'm also back in college for the first time in about 8 years, studying pre-physical therapy to get into a doctoral program in physical therapy. Now that you have a brief background; here are my opinions on the subject:

I support the idea of flexibility training and feel it is an important part of fitness and wellness training. First, I would recommend investing in some stretching/ flexibility training books or videos. (Try finding materials on either Amazon.com or CollageVideo.com because they usually post reviews about the item you are looking at.)

About the stretching debate: you'll learn that "studies" can be very misleading. (If you are in college or plan to attend college I'm sure you'll have a statistics class sooner or later. You'll really learn a lot about how the same information can be slanted several different ways in presentation!) Just because a study "indicates" something doesn't mean it's absolutely true.

The fitness industry is constantly bombarded with conflicting information. It is true that sometimes the exercise science rules change as we learn more about the human body and the way it works, it's best to stick with information that has hard scientific evidence to back it up, and that is accepted by the medical community. (Exercise science has even changed the rules about how we do some of our yoga postures. EXAMPLE: In many styles of yoga, Chatarunga Dandasane used to be done with the chest low, the butt sticking up in the air a little, and the elbows coming up a little higher than your back. We now know that the old way puts unnecessecary strain on the anterior part of the shoulder joint with no additional strength benifit for the muscles involved; it is safer and more challenging to the muscles to keep the body straight, and not allow the elbows to break the plane of your back unless you are in the process of lowering yourself all the way to the floor.)

Flexibility training is extremely important, because we do know for certain that muscle tightness leads to alignment problems in the skeleton, which leads to poor form when performing exercies or even daily activities. That leads to repetitive stress injuries or even pulled muscles/ tendons. It should be fairly easy to find "general" overall flexibility routines. As you continue to expand your knowledge (I see in your post that you are just starting out), you'll learn to see specific imbalances in people and learn how to combine strength and flexibility training to correct them. (For example, someone who slumps their shoulders forward needs to work on expanding the muscles in the front of their chest, and strengthen some of the upper back muscles so they can achieve opening in the chest and straightening of the posture.)

Also keep in mind that flexibility training, like any other kind of training, can be overdone. The average person has absolutely no reason to be as flexible as a professional gymnast or dance. In fact, creating a state of hypermobility will actually create instability in certain joints and can make one more succeptible to injury.

WHEW! I hardly ever type longer posts! I think I have a coffee buzz today! (I don't drink caffiene very often, but I've been studying a lot for the last few days).

Anyway, hope this information is a little helpful! There are some other folks on the board with a fitness/ exercise science background. Hopefully they'll chime in with some information as well.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-09-11 10:41 PM (#31575 - in reply to #31482)

You have to be careful when you read studies.

Flexibility is extremely important. Static stretching is good. But everything has its time and place. You should avoid doing deep static stretching BEFORE athletic activities. First, static stretching when cold can injure you. Second, it will decrease your explosive strength and make you slower. Warmups should consist of movements that build heat and take your body through the full range of motion. Calisthenics are still the best. Jumping jacks, pushups, pullups, situps, squats, lunges, back extensions, jogging. A couple of stretches as you warm up isn't bad but don't do a full stretching routine before your workout or your big game. Warming up with activities that you will be doing in your workout or your game are also good. Swinging a bat or throwing a ball for example.

After your workout or game is the best time for some deep static stretching. it will help your muscles relax and may prevent soreness (although I always feel sore no matter how much I stretch, so I don't believe that necessarily). Also that is when your muscles are most receptive to a good stretch. I do find that I sleep better if I've done a little yoga and stretching after working out.

My final word is that you should consider flexibility as fundamental to fitness as strength. You should consider training both elements together as well as balance, endurance, agility and other attributes of fitness. Doing exercises through the full range of motion will do more for your clients flexibility than doing exercises that limit the range of motion and training flexibility separately.

YogaChick
Posted 2005-09-12 6:42 PM (#31665 - in reply to #31575)

Well said, YogaGuy! I was hoping you'd be around to offer some input on the subject!
the_pigeon05
Posted 2005-09-16 8:24 PM (#32175 - in reply to #31482)

I understand yoga is not just stretching - I just use it as a warmup since it uses a full range of motion, builds heat and helps to stretch or loosen (whatever the term). I know I am new to yoga but I do understand its not just a stretch of everything in the body.

Thank you for your input. I will be more careful and not believe in everything I read. Shame on me because I'm a science student taking a Research Methods course and I should know better. Thank you for pointing it out to me. I'm gonna look around the net, stores for books and experiment on myself.

Thanks guys n gals!
the_pigeon05
Posted 2005-09-16 8:27 PM (#32176 - in reply to #31482)

Can anyone of you recommend to me some good books about flexbility training? I don't want to blindly purchase terrible books.
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-17 4:58 PM (#32223 - in reply to #31482)

The type of stretching used if dependent upon the clients needs.
Static stretch can and should be used pre workout. Before someone can be stronger and more explosive they should be able to stand correctly. Corrective training is low intensity with high volume so flexibility is much more important then strength and explosiveness.

When stretching hold the stretch until the person contracts. And always make the stretches appropriate to the workout.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)