YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mountain Biking
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Men's HealthMessage format

Yellow
Posted 2005-09-11 4:52 PM (#31563)
Subject: Mountain Biking

:lol:
Which asanas would you recommend teaching a beginner, male, mountain biker
to prevent stiff elbows, knees and back pain?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-09 5:54 PM (#61325 - in reply to #31563)
Subject: RE: Mountain Biking

Try Parkurbikeasana

Yellow - 2005-09-11 1:52 PM

Which asanas would you recommend teaching a beginner, male, mountain biker
to prevent stiff elbows, knees and back pain?
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-09 7:32 PM (#61329 - in reply to #31563)

ha ha that's funny.

Try out any beginner Hatha class that you can find or try learning the sun salutations and try starting out with five and work yourself up from there.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-12 4:06 PM (#61595 - in reply to #61329)

Expert Yogi

Good one, purna! Mr. Tourist has recently taken up the practice of trikonasana and parsavakonasana as being particularly effective for his tight mountain biker's body.

Posted 2006-08-13 1:02 AM (#61622 - in reply to #61595)

Mr. Tourist might also find Supta Padangusthasana and Parvritta/Parsva will release Mr. Tourist's low back after a tumble up and down the mountainbike side.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-13 1:12 PM (#61659 - in reply to #61622)

Expert Yogi

Yep, they are on his program but he doesn't seem to like to do poses he doesn't do well. Sound familiar? He only gets to 60 degrees or so in supta pad and really needs to use chairs, which is a pain. But this is the most consistent practice he has ever done, so I am just being suppotive and very thankful that with all the mountain biking, there hasn't been much blood to clean up.....yet Funny thing - in 8 or 10 years, he has never seen a bear (which he is really scared of), but I saw one the other day right near the village

Posted 2006-08-13 1:28 PM (#61661 - in reply to #61659)

He's bending the down leg, yes?
Might mention these poses will help him outrun any bear he might see - internal or external.

Bent knee on the down leg, strap at the heel side of the foot on the up leg so as to work the hamstring rather than near the toes working the calf ... but alas you know all this.

tourist - 2006-08-13 10:12 AM

Yep, they are on his program but he doesn't seem to like to do poses he doesn't do well. Sound familiar? He only gets to 60 degrees or so in supta pad and really needs to use chairs, which is a pain. But this is the most consistent practice he has ever done, so I am just being suppotive and very thankful that with all the mountain biking, there hasn't been much blood to clean up.....yet Funny thing - in 8 or 10 years, he has never seen a bear (which he is really scared of), but I saw one the other day right near the village
tourist
Posted 2006-08-13 4:36 PM (#61664 - in reply to #61661)

Expert Yogi

Hmmm...the only time I have used a bent down leg was with Faeq Biria where we had the second strap from heel to opposite hip crease. I will have him work on this. I think it will make him happy But not now. Due to my tummy issues I rarely get to eat "supper" so I just made a fabulous midday supper of pork chops (yummy!) oven fries with Parmesan and green beans. Beauty stuff - organic, from the beautiful Pemberton valley. Asana will have to wait for digestion today
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-21 9:57 PM (#62315 - in reply to #31563)

I have such a problem remembering the Sanskrit names for asanas that I missed Purna's joke the first time I read it. It took some careful reading to figure it out. I actually almost typed it into the search to see if I could find a picture of it. Maybe it would feature a detail on the mechanics of the kickstand? It was a good laugh though, once it penetrated the density of my brain.
Debby
Posted 2006-09-01 12:00 PM (#63398 - in reply to #31563)

Hope you all don't find this too offensive.

I just read in one of DH's medical journals that leaning forward on a bike for extended periods can lead to ED. Yikes! He just road a 100 mile road ride last weekend and said his "Elmer" went numb! The article suggested not staying in the same position for extended periods and using a seat that had a notch in it.

Sorry, all I could do was laugh at him. (Elmer woke up fine)

Deb
ollie
Posted 2006-11-21 11:08 PM (#69865 - in reply to #63398)

Debby - 2006-09-01 11:00 AM

Hope you all don't find this too offensive.

I just read in one of DH's medical journals that leaning forward on a bike for extended periods can lead to ED. Yikes! He just road a 100 mile road ride last weekend and said his "Elmer" went numb! The article suggested not staying in the same position for extended periods and using a seat that had a notch in it.

Sorry, all I could do was laugh at him. (Elmer woke up fine)

Deb

Yep, that is all too true.

As far as yoga for cyclists:
http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/196.cfm

is helpful.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread