YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mountain bikers Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-10-03 10:01 PM (#33617 - in reply to #31564)
Subject: RE: Mountain bikers Yoga

Well.......
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-10-27 3:31 PM (#35253 - in reply to #31564)

You Know you have all these not so nice things to say you tell me im wrong and i shouldent give advice. What that makes me think is that you have the right answer. So please tell me and the room what is right.
Nick
Posted 2006-01-04 12:47 PM (#40177 - in reply to #31564)

Hi everybody,
This is the first time I have been to this part of the site, obviously some of you need to learn how to relax-obviously the yoga isn't working. I would just like to say that Joe is completely right, his last post should have cleared up any misunderstanding-I am qualified as a doctor of chiropractic, just so you know that I have a fair degree of knowledge on which I can base this statement.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-04 12:58 PM (#40178 - in reply to #40177)

Expert Yogi

Hi Nick,

If this is your first time posting to this site, why don't you introduce yourself and tell us about what you do as a chiropractor and how you relate to yoga? Do you refer your patients to Yoga??
Nick
Posted 2006-01-04 3:29 PM (#40194 - in reply to #31564)

Hi Cyndi,
I have been teaching Yoga for twenty years and gained my degree in Chiropractic about three years ago. I didn't plan this to happen, but my studies in anatomy and physiology only made me want to teach Yoga more, as my studies explained to a large extent why Yoga is such a fantastic form of mind-body exercise. This resulted in me teaching more Yoga, rather than less, which was the original intention-the best laid plans come to rest! Yoga and chiropractic are very similiar in that they both seek to achieve an effect through mobilising joints in the body which for some reason or another are not able to achieve the range of motion of which they should be capable. For this reason, I believe that they slant that was given to my studies aslo gave me an exstremely good basis for applying the acquired knowlege both to my own practice and that of my students.
I feel that this is a very important point-I tried to learn about humna antomy before, but could not apply it successfully because the slant given to the courses that I took were not easy to apply to yoga. As an example, I was once sitting in a lecture where a phenomenon called the Valsalva maneuvre was taught. We perform a valsalva maneuvre when we want to lift something or perform any of the expulsive acts-coughing, urinating, defaecating forcefully. It involves locking the glottis to prevent the exhaltion of air, which allows us to build up pressure in the thorax-useful if we want to lift something or expel something! As the Lecturer was talking, I realised that the tightening of the vocal cords that I attempted in ujjayi breathing was a kind of modified valsalva maneuvre, and if I performed it properly, would enable me to perform postures and movements with a greater support by the breathing mechanism. Our breathing technique has a direct influence on the support (and function) of the internal organs, the arms, thoracic and cervical spine.
The breathing mechanism may also affect the lower spine, pelvis and legs, by its infuence on the abdominal organs-I practice astanga yoga, whereby bandhas are utilised, which have an obvious influence on the abdominal organs. The lateral abdominal muscles attach to the lumbar spine and pelvis, and contribute (along with the diaphragm muscle) to the stability of the lumbar spine. It can then be seen that the breathing technique and the contraction of the abdominal muscles can help to ensure an optimal outcome for ou yoga practice, by influencing every segment of the human body.
Sorry, didn't mean to give you such a long answer, but once I get started..!Anyway, I hope this explains, at least partially, how I apply my training in Chiropractic to my yoga practice and teaching. If I can be of any help to you or anyone else please feel free to ask.
Yours
Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-05 10:21 AM (#40249 - in reply to #40194)

Expert Yogi

Hi Nick,

Well, that was interesting. I'm sure having your background helps your yoga practice a lot. I wish you lots of luck around here on yoga.com...it gets mighty interesting sometimes. Take care and cya around.

Cyndi
tourist
Posted 2006-01-05 10:53 AM (#40257 - in reply to #40194)

Expert Yogi

Nick - thanks for that! Now that we know you, we had better hear lots of good advice and info
Nick
Posted 2006-01-05 11:09 AM (#40261 - in reply to #31564)

Hi Cyndi and Tourist,
Thanks for the welcome. Rest assured i will be back!
Nick

The vastest things are those we may not learn.
We are not taught to die, or to be born,
nor how to burn with love.
How pitiful is our enforced return to those small things
we are the masters of
Mervyn Peake
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread