YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mountain bikers Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Yellow
Posted 2005-09-11 5:04 PM (#31564)
Subject: Mountain bikers Yoga

Which Asanas ( for a beginner to Yoga) can I teach to my Mountain biking mad husband?
I am a Hatha Yoga teacher, NEW
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-12 9:44 AM (#31601 - in reply to #31564)
Subject: RE: Mountain bikers Yoga

Expert Yogi

I'd say get that man a brand new Harley Davidson and let him rip,

If your still looking for an asana, try Savasana first, these guys seem to have a hard time with sitting still,

Next, I would work on the belly...maybe Supta Vajrasana,

Edited by Cyndi 2005-09-12 9:47 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-09-12 10:27 AM (#31609 - in reply to #31564)

Expert Yogi

Welcome Cary Tell us about your training and what YOU would recommend? That will certainly be a question you will get when you are teaching. I am currently trying to get my mountain biker to do standing poses to increase flexibility in his hips but mostly it is just getting him to do any yoga at all
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-09-12 3:01 PM (#31625 - in reply to #31564)

Most cyclists (including spinning class enthusiasts) really enjoy Pigeon Pose for the delightful stretch of the psoas muscles. And it opens up the hips, for a nice bonus!

Also, for a standing/balancing pose, King Dancer is a nice stretch for the quads. Most exercisers do a sloppy variation on this as a quad stretch anyway. You can show him how to do it RIGHT!
Yellow
Posted 2005-09-12 4:20 PM (#31639 - in reply to #31609)

Yes getting him off the bike and finding time to teach him and study and teach is a challenge.
I am a student teacher in the UK, in the same school and class as Loli my Yoga Buddy.
Also interested in teaching my 13 year old daughter a bit more, has anyone got a young growing offspring?
Yellow
Posted 2005-09-12 4:21 PM (#31640 - in reply to #31625)

Thank you for the tips, its my first time on Yoga.com.
Now I just have to get him off the bike long enough.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-12 4:43 PM (#31652 - in reply to #31639)

Expert Yogi

Yellow - 2005-09-12 4:20 PM

Yes getting him off the bike and finding time to teach him and study and teach is a challenge.
I am a student teacher in the UK, in the same school and class as Loli my Yoga Buddy.
Also interested in teaching my 13 year old daughter a bit more, has anyone got a young growing offspring?

Yes, I do. My daughter is 13. All I can say is not force them. I've taken my daughter to the studio before. She would rather do gentle yoga, not Bikram/Hot Yoga. I think they have to want to do it and it's not for every child. Same with the Biker Husband, they have to want it, otherwise it's a waste of your time and energy. My daughter's Father is the Biker. I'd much rather see him on a HD than force him into a Yoga studio, When we were married he tried Tai Chi Qi Gong classes. He did okay, but never remained consistent with it because he was trying to please me.

Posted 2005-09-12 4:49 PM (#31655 - in reply to #31564)

if you can only get him to do one pose, i second pidgeon pose.

and, to access the quads from this pose, prop the hips on a pillow, balance the hand that's the same as the front knee on a block, and then bend the back knee, grab it with the same hand as that foot (that is, right to right or left to left) and draw the heel toward the hip bone.

while doing this, make sure that the knee is extending straight back, that the thigh is pressing into the floor, and that the inner thigh is moving inward and upward. people tend to roll out onto the hip that matches the supporting hand (opposite hip than the thigh stretch), and that is 'cheating'--not getting the full stretch.

also, doing 'pidgeon bow' will help open up the back--inhale, lift the chest looking up, exhale, fold down. inhale up, exhale down. Do it in a wave motion. great for the back and energy body.

one pose, three options.
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-14 11:06 PM (#31918 - in reply to #31564)

To stretch the psoas worrier is plenty for a newbie. You will find that the psoas for hard-core bikes will get almost no benefit due to the tightness of the piriformis when going pigeon and that is a difficult pose for newbies. For the piriformis a good start is to lay on your back with the ankle of one leg superior to the knee of the other, then draw the knee of the strait lag to your chest. To help retract the shoulders and work the lower back try shoulder stand, bow, or camel.

Posted 2005-09-15 1:12 AM (#31932 - in reply to #31564)

i teach the posture to all of my newbies--including cyclists. the modifications that i use are props under the hips (for tight hips and lower backs) and on the back for people with specific knee, ankle, and foot injuries.

otherwise, about 99% of my beginners can do the posture.
loli
Posted 2005-09-15 2:34 AM (#31939 - in reply to #31918)

JoGaJoE - 2005-09-15 4:06 AM

For the piriformis a good start is to lay on your back with the ankle of one leg superior to the knee of the other, then draw the knee of the strait lag to your chest..

Is that the exersise Erich Schiffmann calls 'lotus prep'?, with the shin of the top leg horizontal, the knee opening out, or is it a completely different exersise with the knee of the bent leg just up above the straight leg?

On another point, I would teach postures such as Gomukha arms(whilst standing in Tada) first, reversed anjali mudra(namaste hands behind back) etc to loosen the shoulders first. Working up to setu bandha first before teaching shoulderstand or ustrasana. We are also taught that beginners should have good understanding of standing postures before going into shoulderstand.

On yet another point, I have never seen pigeon with props under the hips....how do you get 'set up' in it? My biggest worry is that newbies will 'crunch' their lumbar in this posture......I would love to teach it with props that prevent that happening though.....I think need pictures, I am trying to work it out in my head.....

Edited by loli 2005-09-15 2:36 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-09-15 11:10 AM (#31964 - in reply to #31939)

Expert Yogi

Loli - I am with you on some of those concerns. And Joe, I agree that warrior poses are great for beginners. Pigeon can be done with props however there is a concern about so much body weight being on the knee. Unless you have a knowledgable teacher (like zoebird) to prop you correctly, I would not do this pose.

The thing I have been noticing recently is that all this focus on standing poses we do in Iyengar really, really does work. A really strong practice of trikonasana, warriors, ardha chandrasana etc. will do wonders for almost everyone.

Joe - I love your typo! Can you send us a photo of "worrier" pose??

Posted 2005-09-15 12:53 PM (#31975 - in reply to #31564)

i do downward facing pidgeon pose--so there's no lumbar pinch, just pure extension from the hips. this is for beginners.

after we have full on access to the lower back and locks, then i'll introduce the back bend components. usually after 1-2 years of regular practice. even if a person has a really open back, i want to work the strength and support first.

i come into the posture from downward dog. i place a bolster where the hips are going to be. the foot and shin goes in front of hte bolster, the hips on it, the back leg extended back. sometimes, a folded blanket under the knee.
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-15 10:49 PM (#32064 - in reply to #31939)

Hehe!
My bad, not shoulder stand. It was shoulder bridge, for the lower back.

JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-15 10:52 PM (#32065 - in reply to #31964)

Tourist
Ill work on the picture of that one for you.
Thushara
Posted 2005-09-19 6:07 AM (#32361 - in reply to #32065)

JoGaJoE, your posts sound quite strange to me........ Did you do an online yoga course.. or google made you a yogi ????

Opps/. Sorry dont be angry.. Im very curious...

BTW whats your style? Is it Hatha yoga or Ashtanga or something else?
booga
Posted 2005-09-21 8:13 AM (#32542 - in reply to #31564)
Subject: RE: Are you the yoga police?

F
l
i
p
p
e
n

w
e
i
r
d

What are you - the yoga police?
Why does anyone need to answer to you?
Why do you even care about him unless you are going to take classes?

How deep could you be into yoga if you are so outward, negative and judgemental?

(hey - if you can inquire so can I!)
***The difference is, I won't be back to check your answers***

Thushara
Posted 2005-09-21 8:45 AM (#32545 - in reply to #32542)
Subject: RE: Are you the yoga police?

***The difference is, I won't be back to check your answers***

Ooops !! I bet you will be back to check my Answer......................

Yoga police.. Nope Im Yoga spy

And I want to Spy now to see why you are so upset for what I told to JoE.... Hmm.. you know something..... Cloning is possible - Scientists have proved it.!

dup dup dup
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-21 3:34 PM (#32579 - in reply to #32361)

Thushara - 2005-09-19 6:07 AM

JoGaJoE, your posts sound quite strange to me........ Did you do an online yoga course.. or google made you a yogi ????

?

Well.......Joe, you never answered. LOL!!!! You know I'm just teasing you!
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-21 5:46 PM (#32595 - in reply to #32361)

LOL I sent out for my certification with my publishers clearing house.

And now I'm a yoga teacher.......

Edited by JoGaJoE 2005-09-21 5:53 PM
Thushara
Posted 2005-09-22 12:53 AM (#32630 - in reply to #32579)

Miabella, you must be teasing him ., But I’m not.. Look at his posts and see the wrong instructions he is giving people about poses. What if beginners read that and think its right... If you don’t know what you are talking about its better be silent without giving wrong instructions.. I don’t know why others in this board cant see this.

If some of you guys are in the board for a different intention than improving your knowledge about yoga or to help somebody to do yoga... Please.. Don’t give any wrong instructions to anybody.

I don’t care what u say.. If its not at my cost.. I don’t care whether you call yourselves teachers either., Coz I’m not going to learn from you guys. Never. But TEACHING WRONG THINGS IS SIN

Edited by Thushara 2005-09-22 12:54 AM
JackieCat
Posted 2005-09-22 6:52 AM (#32635 - in reply to #32630)

Extreme Veteran

Thushara - 2005-09-22 12:53 AM

Miabella, you must be teasing him ., But I’m not.. Look at his posts and see the wrong instructions he is giving people about poses. What if beginners read that and think its right... If you don’t know what you are talking about its better be silent without giving wrong instructions.. I don’t know why others in this board cant see this.

If some of you guys are in the board for a different intention than improving your knowledge about yoga or to help somebody to do yoga... Please.. Don’t give any wrong instructions to anybody.

I don’t care what u say.. If its not at my cost.. I don’t care whether you call yourselves teachers either., Coz I’m not going to learn from you guys. Never. But TEACHING WRONG THINGS IS SIN

What did he say that was so sinfully wrong? He corrected himself by saying he meant bridge, not shoulder stand. I was taught that bridge is a back strengthening pose, as he said. I don't find that bridge particularly helps me retract the scapula (I find I have to do it consciously), but I don't think that's a glaring error. And the piriformis stretch he mentioned is right on- I cycle and teach spinning and that's the most effective one I've found.

So, back to my original question: where are his "wrong" instructions?
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-22 1:13 PM (#32666 - in reply to #31564)

I think everyone on here gives advice to the best of their ability. I talk to Joe through PMs and emails and know him to be a very caring and considerate individual. He is dedicated to yoga and to overall fitness and health. Maybe his written command of language leaves something to be desired but he is truly trying to help.
He's answered all of my dumb and weird questions about yoga and when he doesn't know the answer he either finds it or helps me to find the right resources.
I really challenge you, Thushara, to talk to him off of here a bit more before making a decision about his character.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-22 1:21 PM (#32671 - in reply to #32666)

Miabella704 - 2005-09-22 1:13 PM I think everyone on here gives advice to the best of their ability. I talk to Joe through PMs and emails and know him to be a very caring and considerate individual. He is dedicated to yoga and to overall fitness and health. Maybe his written command of language leaves something to be desired but he is truly trying to help. He's answered all of my dumb and weird questions about yoga and when he doesn't know the answer he either finds it or helps me to find the right resources. I really challenge you, Thushara, to talk to him off of here a bit more before making a decision about his character.

I think it would be better if he could elaborate a little more in his posts. i understand there might be a language barrier, being from NJ and all, but i think i would benefit more from his knowledge if he mabye took the time to explain a little more. 

ETA: Goddess knows i don't make sense half the time either, so i am not judging or critisising.

Edited by anya sharvani 2005-09-22 1:30 PM
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-25 4:51 PM (#32913 - in reply to #31918)

JoGaJoE - 2005-09-14 11:06 PM

To stretch the psoas worrier is plenty for a newbie. You will find that the psoas for hard-core bikes will get almost no benefit due to the tightness of the piriformis when going pigeon and that is a difficult pose for newbies. For the piriformis a good start is to lay on your back with the ankle of one leg superior to the knee of the other, then draw the knee of the strait lag to your chest. To help retract the shoulders and work the lower back try shoulder stand, bow, or camel.

I guess its time for me to come to bat for myself.......

Lets go over this, anyone novice to yoga will have an easier time with warrior then pigeon. People who bike may love pigeon pose down the road but having tight hip flexors, calves, piriformis, and IT, may make this pose a bit more compromising to them then they would like. So that's why I chose warrior. it will stretch the psoas, calves and if you exstend your arms over head it will stretch the lats also.
As for telling them to use shoulder bridge, bow, or camel. I said it because it will strengthen the lower back, stretch the hip flexors and pectoral muscles. when you flex one muscle the opposing muscle will better stretch. So in shoulder bridge you are flexing you butt and lower back meaning the opposing muscle the hip flexor will relax and at the same time you should be pinching you shoulder blades together flexing you rhomboids and middle traps meaning the opposing muscle the pecs are relaxing. So stretching the pecs will better allow retraction of the shoulders.
So if this is wrong please tell me and others what is right?

As for you saying I have now place to give advise I'll tell you that to be a good teacher you have to have a good understanding of the student.

Edited by JoGaJoE 2005-09-25 5:03 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)