YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opening hip with bad knee
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

Zen Clicker
Posted 2005-09-16 1:46 PM (#32122)
Subject: Opening hip with bad knee

Hooray for an injury thread!

I have a bum left knee, damaged severely playing basketball decades ago and still causing problems. The ACL is long gone as is most of the cartilage. The knee is very unstable and can be painful if I don't take care. My right hip is very flexible and never impedes common asanas, but the left hip is tight and needs work. Does anyine know of asanas or other stretching movements that can help open the hip without putting a torque on the knee?

Namaste,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
flipcat
Posted 2005-09-17 9:01 AM (#32197 - in reply to #32122)
Subject: RE: Opening hip with bad knee

I will think about it, but that is a GREAT question!
loli
Posted 2005-09-17 4:47 PM (#32221 - in reply to #32122)

hmm...try lying in viparita karani, legs up the wall, but without the bolster under you. Start in supta danda and take the legs wide, keep the heels moving away(flexing feet) and thinking about rotating the whole leg from the hips so that inner thighs, knees and toes are rotating out. Also, how do you find supta baddha konasana, is that tough on your knee? That is always a good one for the hips....try it without bringing the heels too close to the groin to make it easier on your knee perhaps.
Hope this helps. As I/ if I, think of more I will post them....
Laura
tourist
Posted 2005-09-17 9:09 PM (#32246 - in reply to #32122)

Expert Yogi

Kiefer - true to my Iyengar roots I will put in a strong word for the standing poses. I have come to a new understanding and appreciation of them in the past couple of weeks as I up my training for assessment. Trikonasana, Vira I, II and III, Ardha Chandrasana, all the parivrttas, then get into the various versions of supta padangustasana, which are also great. But I have to say, doing more standing poses lately has done a lot more for my hip issues than all the traditional hip openers. Just watch the alignment of the "bum" knee like a hawk!
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-17 9:56 PM (#32253 - in reply to #32122)

When it comes to a bum knee it if often better to strengthen stabilizing muscles in the hips rather then to lengthen them. But do what ever allows faster correction of the kinetic chain. So if you feel you need to lengthen try frog pose but be sure that your knee has some type of support. Shoulder bridge will give you a slight stretch in the psoas but most importantly help correct your alignment by putting by your alignment under slight tension with minimal risk.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)