YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Retreats/Vacations?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga WorkshopsMessage format

Saria
Posted 2005-09-16 9:52 PM (#32180)
Subject: Yoga Retreats/Vacations?

Hello!

I just registered for this forum. I don't really have any friends who practice yoga, so I wasn't sure where I should turn.

I'm looking for personal yoga/meditation retreats and/or vacation in early December. Can anyone recommend a specific place?

I'm looking for daily yoga practice and other activities as well as vegetarian meals. I would appreciate any ideas and/or suggestions!

Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-09-16 10:51 PM (#32182 - in reply to #32180)
Subject: RE: Yoga Retreats/Vacations?

Dear Saria:
You need to be clear as to your priority, as to Yoga or Recreation. You may find it difficult to get both in high quality. So, you may have to sacrifice one. There are many retreats but they may not be Yoga. And, you may find many Yoga Teachers who may not provide retreat. So, please decide accordingly.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Posted 2005-09-16 11:36 PM (#32187 - in reply to #32180)

Saria:

If you live in the US, the Omega Instutite and Kripalu Center have a variety of yoga and meditation retreats throughout the year offered by a variety of teachers in a variety of styles of yoga and meditation. Both of these groups have web sites, so a simple google search should get you to their web site and a catelogue of their offerings.

If you are overwhelmed by the numbers of their offerings and do not know which retreat is right for you, you can do an 'intro to omega' or 'intro to kripalu' retreat as well. another option is to call them. The people on staff are very helpful and informed and can help you choose a program that is right for you.

Many teachers also do a lot of retreats in Mexico and Costa Rica in the winter. Rodney Yee, Baron Baptiste, Shiva Rae and a variety of others offer retreats. You can also do a google search for "yoga retreats in costa rica" and the like.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-09-16 11:44 PM (#32188 - in reply to #32180)

I'm leading another yoga retreat to Costa Rica in March 2006. I can't wait!!!

Posted 2005-09-17 12:04 AM (#32190 - in reply to #32180)

cool.

i have not led a yoga retreat in costa rica yet. how'd you do it?
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-09-17 12:26 AM (#32191 - in reply to #32180)

Get a friend who likes to organize trips. ;)

Pick a spot and reserve it. Preferably a nice hotel with a place to do yoga and access to fun stuff. Then promote the heck out of it.
Saria
Posted 2005-09-17 1:48 AM (#32192 - in reply to #32180)

Ooooh... costa rica, sounds awesome. Do you have a site?

As for my trip in December, I want more of a Yoga expereience versus a recreation experience. I had a "vacation" over the summer, where it was full of trendy restaurants and night life. I want something just for ME this time.
Saria
Posted 2005-09-17 2:17 AM (#32193 - in reply to #32180)

Okay... I looked up the Omega institue and Kripalu centers.

The Omega institute is sponsoring some retreats in January. They DO have one at a place I was looking at before - Mount Madonna in Watsonville, CA. Has anyone heard anything about this place?

Posted 2005-09-17 4:09 PM (#32215 - in reply to #32180)

yes, i have heard good things about Mt Madonna Center. i haven't been there myself. I think there's also one in CA that is called Blue Mountain. It is affiliated with Ecknath Eswaran (while he lived) and is also a great yoga community.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-18 8:23 PM (#32317 - in reply to #32188)

Expert Yogi

YogaGuy - 2005-09-16 11:44 PM

I'm leading another yoga retreat to Costa Rica in March 2006. I can't wait!!!

Yoga Guy,

Who are the people sponsoring your retreat?? Is it really expensive and how would you rate the accomodations compared to all the nice resorts in CR?? I've really been thinking I want to start exploring Costa Rica again. March, 20006 is too soon and next year is Europe for me. What's the deal?? Thanks,

Cyndi
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-09-18 8:48 PM (#32326 - in reply to #32180)

Saria

I don't have a site yet, but when we have all the details finalized you can go to my friend's site. www.azuryoga.com and the info will be there.

Cyndi

We are doing it ourselves. We did it last February and it was great. i don't have anything to compare it to. It was my first retreat and my first time to CR. We are going to Hotel Los Mangos in Montezuma. I'll post more info about the retreat to the site as we get it together.

bomberpig
Posted 2005-09-19 5:49 PM (#32411 - in reply to #32180)

Saria, I have a friend who went to Mt Madonna and did teacher training there. he recommends it highly and says it is very traditional authentic yoga practice. I would love to go if I am in the US !
trishaktiyoga
Posted 2006-04-01 11:24 AM (#48479 - in reply to #32180)

Dear Saria- Hari oM!

My name is Anbar Roya, and I am a long time yoga instructor and yogini. I am also the co-founder of TRISHAKTI YOGA, we are based in NYC, however we also conduct programs in India and soon- in Mauritius also. This summer (starting in may) we will be offering a wide variety of workshops in manhattan on topics such as "womens yoga", "yogic diet and cooking", "pranayama" , and "methodology". Next year, in december, we will begin our retreat program in India- it will be held at TRIPURAYOGASHRAM in Haridwar, India and will involve daily asana practice, yogic philosophy lectures and discussions, meditation and mantras, and daily excursions to ancient holy sites and guest lecturers. We will also have classical indian dance performances (I myself am a Kathak dancer- I am also a member of Gangani Kathak Dance Company)- Perhaps you would be interested in joining us- if so you can check out more information at our website or email us.
Om Shanti,
Yogini Anbar Roya- TRISHAKTI YOGA
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-04-01 11:32 AM (#48481 - in reply to #32180)

Michelline Berry does one in December. I forget where it's to, but it's on her www.zendancing.com site.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-04-03 5:45 AM (#48534 - in reply to #48481)

Free Spirit travel do a lot of yoga holidays and my Iyengar teacher (Mary Niker) has/is using them a lot to arrange her teaching trips abroad.

Fee
Piel
Posted 2006-08-01 8:03 PM (#60722 - in reply to #32180)

Forum Administrator

i'd like to make a shameless plug for the yoga vacation that is being organized by yoga.com

Go to http://www.karmayogavacations.com to learn more.

Thanks!

Piel
AKBrooker1
Posted 2006-08-03 3:15 AM (#60867 - in reply to #32180)

YogaGuy, Just wanted to recommend Pura Vida for a good yoga retreat in Costa Rica. I was there in April and thought it was an excellent host facility for yoga and not just a "retreat," although it is beautiful and can provide fun excursions as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)