YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ahhhhhhhh...Help needed!!!!!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2005-09-19 7:34 AM (#32362)
Subject: Ahhhhhhhh...Help needed!!!!!

Expert Yogi

I pulled out my back on Saturday morning drying my legs off just coming out of the shower. Very upset. I had to teach 2 classes after that and a class yesterday morning. Thank god everyone was understanding in my classes. I verbally cued through all three but they were Yogalates classes. I have aPilates class tomorrow night and a yoga class weds. night. I just have this feeling my back is going to be in bad shape. I haven't had this happen in three years. I feel like crying.
Some suggestions please. What can I do besides take pain killers? I'm going to stretch.
HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Edited by mishoga 2005-09-19 7:35 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Orbilia
Posted 2005-09-19 7:40 AM (#32363 - in reply to #32362)
Subject: RE: Ahhhhhhhh...Help needed!!!!!

It's difficult to say without knowling more about where the pain is in your back and what kind of pain. I would recommend seeing an osteopath or similar though if this is something that has recurred. Acupuncture can be very helpful with the pain relief.

As far as classes go, do you know another teacher or experienced yogi who could demo in your classes whilst you heal? My swami often pulls out someone who's doing a pose well in order to talk the rest of us through 'bad way', 'good way' (with their agreement of course!).

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-09-19 7:43 AM
mishoga
Posted 2005-09-19 8:20 AM (#32364 - in reply to #32362)

Expert Yogi

It's in the lower back.
You know, only people such as ourselves would understand when I say this. I truly believe there is a reason for this, that kind of universal energy. Maybe I have taken on more than I can handle and this is the way my body is telling me to relax.
I suffered terribly from back problems in the past and Yoga has helped me tremendously. I could be stressed on a subconscious level and my body is absorbing this stress and manifesting into this present condition.
I know I shouldn't analyze it. Professionally things couldn't be better but this will really throw me off. The monetary compensation is of no concern, it's the ability to reach many and if I can't instruct, that gets cut off.
Unfortunately I do not have a fellow yogi/yogini who can step in for me. I wish I knew one. I'm thinking of hitting a massage therapist tonight. Maybe that will help me.
Thanks for your well wishes. This is soooooo stinky!!!!!!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-09-19 8:25 AM (#32365 - in reply to #32364)

I wasn't really thinking of a replacement tutor, more someone you could use as a demonstration tool whilst you weren't able to demonstrate in class yourself.

I hope the massage therepist can help.

Fee

loli
Posted 2005-09-19 9:54 AM (#32369 - in reply to #32362)
Subject: RE: Ahhhhhhhh...Help needed!!!

OH Mish, I'm sorry to hear about your back....I feel for you! I hurt my upper back a few weeks ago too. I think Fee's idea is a very good one. Verbally cueing and using members of the class to demonstrate....I have a fantastic teacher who always does that and it works really really well. Sure, she doesn't teach absolute beginners and it is yoga, not pilates. If you are really suffering and can't teach a pilates or yogalates class like that, I think you should apologise and cancel the class. You are only human after all! If it was a yoga class you could get away with writing a very gentle class (that is what I did, postures like supta padangustasana which you don't have to do much demo-ing etc)
Best of luck with healing fast. Take anti-inflam's like ibuprofen(with food!) and I found tiger-balm really really helpful too. I am presuming this is just muscular by the way? Have you had probs with your verterbrae in the past? If so, maybe you should go see your DR?
Namaste
Laura x

Posted 2005-09-19 11:52 AM (#32381 - in reply to #32362)

i don't demo (unless absolutely necessary), so it's perfectly appropriate to just give verbal cues and take people through the process. It's a good time to hone observation and assisting skills.

otherwise, try taking baths with epsom salts, doing some gentle stretching, and definately some breathing and relaxation exercises.
mishoga
Posted 2005-09-19 12:00 PM (#32382 - in reply to #32362)

Expert Yogi

Thank you...thank you........thank you! I'm doing all those!
YogaChick
Posted 2005-09-19 3:11 PM (#32397 - in reply to #32382)

Mish, you poor thing! Take care of yourself! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Think of this as the perfect opportunity to force yourself to get comfortable cueing without doing during class! It will also be great for your class participants to start getting used to.
mishoga
Posted 2005-09-19 4:26 PM (#32403 - in reply to #32362)

Expert Yogi

You are so right. I had to do just that for my yogalates classes on Saturday and Sunday. Funniest thing is that my sunday class which is a new Wellness program being launched in a Kickboxing studio was going very slow. Of course my back goes out and 10 new students arrive that day to try the class. Out of the ten, 5 people signed up for an extended class package.
And here I thought I was giving weak instructions. LOOK OUT!!! They are in for it when I feel better.
I'm so frustrated! I have no energy to do the basic things like cleaning, sitting at my puter (hehehe ).
Oh well...time heals. I'll definitely use verbal.
Thanks for your warm thoughts and advise. Much appreciated. Heaven forbid any of the "Desperate Housewifes" in my community would offer a kind word!
Mishy
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-09-19 5:45 PM (#32410 - in reply to #32403)

My answer to many, many musculoskeletal injuries is "Chiropractor".
mishoga
Posted 2005-09-20 6:30 PM (#32488 - in reply to #32362)

Expert Yogi

So I've heard. Many say a MT too. Well, I'm off to class. Hopefully I return intact!!!!
Namaste fellow yoginis
booga
Posted 2005-09-20 7:53 PM (#32498 - in reply to #32362)

If you pulled your back drying your legs, something else was going on before this and the symptoms presented themselves at that point.

I would look at what emotionally is or was going on before this (up to a month) and figure out if you were maybe holding stress in the back, obliques or abs.

Any time you have inflammation, an advil and such will help. But don't put off having this looked at by a chiropractor who has a background in kinesiology. I've seen people have back pain and it be helped by simply adjusting the knees via kinesiology!!!
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-09-20 10:02 PM (#32512 - in reply to #32362)

Interesting responses.

Dr. John Sarno has an easy-to-read book about back pain. His premise is that there's no such thing as back pain unless a person has sustained trauma (like a car accident). Dr. Sarno says we have back pain due to mismanaged (unmanaged) stress. He suggests various stress-busting techniques like meditation.

That being said, I do believe in back pain. As we age, well, let's just say we're not the same now as we were when we were 17 years old. Sounds like you were twisting and bending while drying off in the bathroom. That can be a deadly combination. Was there a cold draft in the bathroom? Cold can get into the channels and cause pain (due to constriction) in the muscles and muscle channels.

I think there can be a combination of triggers that cause back pain, TMJ, headaches, IBS, etc...And there are lots of alternative ways to manage the triggers as well as the symptoms.

Personally, I like Iyengar for pain management of my low back pain. Heat is also usually good to help the muscles relax. Hot rock massage will make you very happy.

Good luck on your journey ~ fifi
mishoga
Posted 2005-09-21 8:58 AM (#32547 - in reply to #32362)

Expert Yogi

I definitely think there was a trigger. The day prior to my back going out, I was heading out to a class. Jumped in my car and it was dead. Thank god I took my other car (because hubby was home) But I returned home and my hubby couldn't figure out what was wrong. Tried to jump with cables (thought it was the battery) I immediately went into stress mode because the following day I had 2 classes back to back at different locations and my hub needed our other car to go to my son's travel volleyball game. I was stressing that we would have to call a tow truck and who knows how long (and how much it would cost to fix). The car just came out of a three year warranty. (Exactly a month out).
I internalize my stress a lot and it manifests in physical symptoms for me.
Well, after my hub tooling with the car all day, he finally fixed it. The battery had a leak and battery acid was wacking out the entire electrical system.
Besides this, I know I was a bit anxious about taking on so many classes (and I turned away two gyms too). I was worried, because I am not a spring chicken, that my body would not be able to handle it. Well, maybe those thoughts contributed to my condition.
I verbally taught a class lastnight but I am achy today. I have a class tonight. Monday is my only down day of the week. My weekends are rough. Worse comes to worse I will have to cancel some classes until I can repair my back.
It saddens me. I am happiest when I'm with my students sharing energy. I haven't had an episode like this in so long it's killing me. I've had weeks where I've practiced 2-3 hours a day and I've felt great! I love teaching or better stated, guiding others. I am literally emotionally exhausted after a class. I think because my positive energy flows like a faucet turned on full. Maybe this is draining me. I don't know.
I don't want to stop the pace I'm at. I have to find a way to share myself without the physical demands being so.
Sorry about ramblin. I'm so upset my back is out.

Edited by mishoga 2005-09-21 8:59 AM
loli
Posted 2005-09-22 10:03 AM (#32650 - in reply to #32547)

mishoga - 2005-09-21 1:58 PM

I love teaching or better stated, guiding others. I am literally emotionally exhausted after a class. I think because my positive energy flows like a faucet turned on full. Maybe this is draining me. I don't know.
I don't want to stop the pace I'm at. I have to find a way to share myself without the physical demands being so.
Sorry about ramblin. I'm so upset my back is out.

Hi Mish, I don't know if I will be able to explain what I mean clearly, but;- try to send out the positive energy and take some back for yourself from seeing the effects of yoga on your students.....that is, allow yourself to be rewarded with positivity back from your students....Oh, I wish I was more eloquent!!! Does that make sense? I don't/haven't felt emotionally drained from teaching, rather I feel refreshed by the positivity that comes back from the students.....
Also, maybe you are just feeling like this at the mo. because of underlying stress and it isn't the teaching that is draining you, it is other stuff?

Anyway, I hope your back is healing and that you feel better and happier soon.
Namaste
Laura

Posted 2005-09-22 4:51 PM (#32700 - in reply to #32362)

here's what i find about teaching.

one of my teachers teaches yoga and does so via demonstration. she can only teach 2-3 classes a day, tops. One of those must be a gentle class.

of the aerobics teachers whom i know, no one teaches more than 2 a day. that's it. it's because they're doing the class as well. Any more than this can be dangerous for your body--too much exercise.

So, i recommend that you only demo the classes that you have to demo. All other classes should be cued instead--this will help conserve your energy and help your body heal better. Too much exercise can cause imbalance and injury. So, cue what you can.

I also assist in my yoga classes, but assisting has changed over the last 3 months for me from really 'hands on' to really 'barely there." i find that the busier my schedule and the more new people i have, this is what happens.
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-09-22 11:15 PM (#32737 - in reply to #32362)

I have been teaching my Spinning classes off the bike this past week due to my hamstring, and everyone says they like the class BETTER than when i ride. i am more motivating and the class is more challanging.

i mostly cue through my yoga, abs and strength classes. you just don't get a good workout or practice while teaching.

Shiva
Posted 2005-09-24 3:26 AM (#32835 - in reply to #32362)

John Sarno's book was mentioned. I recently read his "new" edition that corrected all the old stuff he wrote. He now believes that very rarely, if ever, does physical stuff cause back pain. I think it's clear from what you've said, Misha, that you believe that something emotional (stress) triggered it.

Dr. Sarno's only treatment for back pain is an educational program. He has lectures and tells people how emotions affect their body. In 2-6 weeks, most are pain free. The premise is that your body produces pain, from acute to chronic, in an attempt to distract your attention away from your emotional problems, keeping them under wraps. It does this by making the back pain seem really serious, like you have to focus all your attention on it, and mold your life around it. He tells his patients to treat their back pain with disdain, or ignore it, seeing it as a distraction, and not letting it distract them. Fear that the pain will happen again IS what makes it happen again, and that also helps distract away from "bad" emotions.

He no longer prescribes any physical therapy, massage, or exercise. Because the problem is not physical, treating it with physical solutions only reinforces the idea that the pain is "serious" and structurally based and needs to be nursed, taken care of, and for goddsake don't dry off in the shower any more!!!!! you could hurt your back!

The other suggestion he makes to patients is to inquire into their emotional distress head on. If you go right into what you're trying to avoid, the bodily pain will have no purpose any more (it's purpose was to distract). being useless, it will go away.

I'm not a convert to this religion, but I think it will work for many people.

"Healing Back Pain: The Mind Body Connection" by Dr. John Sarno

He says many peopel have relieved their back pain just by reading the book. Apparently it's the change in attitude that is most important.

Hope you feel better,

mishoga
Posted 2005-09-30 3:13 PM (#33414 - in reply to #32362)

Expert Yogi

I was wondering what happened to my thread. I didn't realize that it was moved here. Please forgive me not replying to you all sooner.
Thank you for all your well wishes. My back is a little better. I verbally cued, and yes I agree and so do my true yoginis that the experience was much better and they were mindful of their form as I walked around the class.
Thank you all for the supportive and kind words. I wish you all lived on my block. What a wonderful thought that is
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)