YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pilaties DVD Help
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

markdk86
Posted 2005-09-20 9:49 AM (#32449)
Subject: Pilaties DVD Help

Hi, My name is Mark and I'm a (almost) 19 year old male. I recently lost 40 pounds since Febuary (240/199 now) with a combination of pilates, pushups etc and my other own exercises with a weighted vest, diet, and treadmill.

I'm looking for a more intense tape and have had extreme difficulty finding one. I'm currently doing the Accelerated Body Scultping DVD with 5 lb ankle weights on each leg.

Any help to locate a tougher tape would be appreciated. I can do this tape with some ease now and want to step it up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-09-20 10:34 AM (#32453 - in reply to #32449)
Subject: RE: Pilaties DVD Help

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss, that's terrific!

I find many of the mass-marketed Pilates DVD's are really directed toward people who want to try Pilates and are not yet very strong. So, it's hard to find what you are looking for. Also, the more advanced you are often depends upon how much internal strength/resistance you can apply to the exercises, which is hard to show on a DVD.

Stott has a couple of Level 4 DVD's that are supposed to be more challenging. I've only seen part of one of them, but it seemed fairly challenging. Also the Classical Pilates Technique DVD's (primarily the matwork and magic circle, if you're working at home) will give you some great ideas. The Classical ones are more to watch and then try, rather than work out right along with the instructors. They show VERY advanced practitioners performing very difficult exercises with absolutely perfect precision - it will make you realize how far you can take Pilates!

Be careful with the ankle weights - they can really throw off your alignment if you use them during standing exercises. What other kinds of props do you have available? A magic circle is a GREAT way to intensify your workout! In lieu of that, I've also used a 9" Fitball Mini in class (it's a lot cheaper and easier to transport), but I love my magic circle for home use.

It sounds as though you may be ready to move on to working without DVD's - you know the moves, but your workout might feel a little stale and you need to add something interesting to increase the challenge. Have you ever worked with a Pilates trainer? He or she could show you some new techniques to incorporate into your matwork at home. If you can't find or afford one, the book "The Pilates Promise" by Alycea Ungaro has some very interesting ideas that challenge the heck out of me. Brooke Siler (author of The Pilates Body) also has a new book coming out very soon that sounds like it will be chock full of new ways to use Pilates to work your body. I can't wait to get a look at that!!
throwtoy
Posted 2005-09-20 12:43 PM (#32461 - in reply to #32449)

hi there,

i recently found some great DVD's that you're doing more of the reformer work on the mat. i've gone through all of them and i absolutely love them. very challenging. it's easier however if you've ever worked on a reformer but i think she does a decent job of explaining. i've used some of these in my classes and they've loved it.

http://www.pilatesforyou.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=4

hope it helps and if you have any other questions, let us know.
D
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-09-20 1:53 PM (#32463 - in reply to #32449)

That looks awesome Dana, thanks for the tip!! It immediately went onto my wishlist. My birthday is right around the corner!

YogaChick
Posted 2005-09-20 2:02 PM (#32464 - in reply to #32461)

Congratulations on your weight loss! You should be really proud of yourself.

throwtoy, great link! I'm not familiar with those dvd's.

I also highly recommend the website for Collage Video. They do an excellent job of reviewing and explaining the dvd's they sell, as well as clearly describing the fitness level it is appropriate for. They're one of the few places where you can usually find more intermediate level workout videos. Here's the link:

http://www.collagevideo.com/
markdk86
Posted 2005-09-20 7:44 PM (#32494 - in reply to #32449)

All my workout is on the floor, there are no standing exercises on the Advanced DVD.

Question, how is that magic circle actually used? I'm a bit confused by that.

Also the other DVD look like they can be promising, I'm going to look into those.

I really appreciate all the help, thanks.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-09-20 8:29 PM (#32504 - in reply to #32449)

A book or DVD would explain the magic circle better, but here are some quick ideas:

1) Squeeze between your ankles during exercises like The Hundred, Roll-Over, Double Leg Stretch, Double Straight Leg, Corkscrew, etc. It not only gives you an extra inner thigh workout, but it forces your abdominal muscles to work without the hip flexors helping as much. Much more difficult.

2) Squeeze between your arms during Roll-Ups, Spine Stretch Forward, and Teasers. Adds extra arm work, and in the Teasers it throws off your center of gravity and makes your abs work harder.

3) Hold it above your chest during Single Leg Circles and Corkscrews. When your arms aren't touching the mat, your lower abs have to really work to keep your hips from rocking (also makes your leg muscles work harder for control).

4) Standing up in Pilates stance, hold the circle in front of you with your arms straight (heels of the hands on the pads). Upon inhaling, squeeze the circle as hard as you can, release upon exhale. Keep abs and Pilates stance engaged throughout the entire time. Now try it above your head. Now behind your back, without letting it touch your butt. Ow!

5) From a seated position, place the circle between your knees. Hands on your hips, sit tall, and squeeze hard upon inhale, release upon exhale. Then try putting both your legs through it, and pressing it outward instead. Nice workout for your adductors and abductors!

These are just a few ideas. You can get creative!
markdk86
Posted 2005-09-20 9:34 PM (#32508 - in reply to #32449)

Looks like it woruld be a good investment. Thanks.
throwtoy
Posted 2005-09-21 8:42 AM (#32544 - in reply to #32449)

some other standing stuff. after you roll to a standing position after the seal, bring your feet Pilates stance. usually after the seal you'll walk out to front support. on the last one press up to your toes to balance keeping your heels together shoulders down and roll down with control and walk out to front support add your pushups again, pike your hips up and walk back keeping your heels off the floor and roll up. keep balancing on your toes, heels still together. look right and then left, come back to center and slowly release your heels 3-2-1. press up to the toes again look left, right, etc.

a lot of the sranding stuff i do is balance
hold the ring in front of you as mentioned earlier, press your hands in and release 3 times, press upto your toes to balance heels together pilates stance and pulse it for 10. lower your heels and reach the ring above your head, press up to your toes and pulse it 10. usually then i keep them on their toes and pulse 10 gliding up and down in front of them. it's not that easy to keep your balance, feet in correct position, shoulders down, still reaching the spine taller, chest staying open....i tihnk you get it ;)

hope that helps
D
Yo'Av
Posted 2005-10-15 3:43 AM (#34457 - in reply to #32449)

hello mark.
first I want to tell you I think it's really great the way you lost your weight (and hopefully won't find it ever again). I actually went through a very similar experience: I am also an-almost-19-year-old-male and from the time I was 16 to the time I was 17 I lost about 43 pounds, by working out at home (about 7 pounds of that came back because of the yo-yo effect, but I'm stable now with more muscle tone). however, I think that the difference between us is that I only discovered yoga and pilates after I lost the weight and I use it mostly to keep it off and improve my posture (and also because I don't want to look like a body builder). so this is my advice for you:
keep up the good work with the strength training (more traditional exercises - this way you can more easily monitor your progress) and aerobics, and you'll find that the pilates dvds still provide a challenge in their own way. Variation is te key here - keep your workouts different and interesting. also remember to rest: you don't have to work out every day.
I have some dvd recommendations for you: the Winsor Pilates series (was the dvd you mentioned from this series?), MTV Pilates, and Denise Austin's Yoga and Pilates combination. You can also try some of Karen Voight's workouts. I also recommend Billy Blanks' Tae-Bo if you're looking to try something completely different.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)